Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Let the Right One In

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Let the Right One In

Anyone see this yet? Bought the Blu-Ray on half.com, haven't watched it yet.

Any thoughts?

Re: Let the Right One In

Gotta be better than Twilight right?

Seriously, I liked the film all in all. It's dark, but not in a contrived sort of way. It was recommended to me by a professional horror snob actually and she's rarely steered me wrong in the past. Ginger Snaps being one of the few instances.

There is a bit of adolescent angst, but its not teen angst so its tolerable over all. The darker undertones it has seem to be what sets it up to be deeper than the recent crop of vampire flicks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Gotta be better than Twilight right?

Seriously, I liked the film all in all. It's dark, but not in a contrived sort of way. It was recommended to me by a professional horror snob actually and she's rarely steered me wrong in the past. Ginger Snaps being one of the few instances.

There is a bit of adolescent angst, but its not teen angst so its tolerable over all. The darker undertones it has seem to be what sets it up to be deeper than the recent crop of vampire flicks.
    Ginger Snaps is awesome. Ginger Snaps 2 is even better.

As to the movie at hand (Let the Right One In) i saw it tonight. I watch a ton of small studio & foreign horror films. I thought it was just ok. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Best. Vampire. Movie. Ever.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I liked it alot too. I didn't feel it was aimed so much at teens like so many are.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I think there were quite a few posts about this movies in the "Recently Watched Movies" thread. I keep meaning to watch it, but I haven't yet. It's available for streaming on Netflix. I need to watch this tomorrow, thanks for bringing it up Dom.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I think there were quite a few posts about this movies in the "Recently Watched Movies" thread. I keep meaning to watch it, but I haven't yet. It's available for streaming on Netflix. I need to watch this tomorrow, thanks for bringing it up Dom.
    You're right, there were. That's why I checked it out a couple months back and I'm glad I did. It's a vampire movie with a different angle on the genre which I liked (except for a couple seconds of one scene). Unlike some, I'm looking forward to seeing how the American version turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It's a vampire movie with a different angle on the genre which I liked (except for a couple seconds of one scene).
    I think I know the scene you're referring to. Let me explain, surgical scars equals castration. It was really so fast, it was hard to grasp why you were seeing what you were seeing, or if you were seeing something else.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I think I know the scene you're referring to. Let me explain, surgical scars equals castration. It was really so fast, it was hard to grasp why you were seeing what you were seeing, or if you were seeing something else.
    I think we're talking about the same thing. I read the Wikipedia summary of the movie before hand so I understand what was meant. Just think I'd be surprised if that element is left in for the American version. It can be left out and it doesn't really affect much imo.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I think we're talking about the same thing. I read the Wikipedia summary of the movie before hand so I understand what was meant. Just think I'd be surprised if that element is left in for the American version. It can be left out and it doesn't really affect much imo.
    Agreed

I watched this movie a while back and really, really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

Fantastic movie. I tend to agree with savafan's assessment: best vampire movie ever.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

One of the best movies made in the past couple of years.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I thought it was ok too. The cat scene was way too wacky and although I love slow moving movies I felt this one lacked any drive or momentum from about the midpoint to just before the gruesome, awesome ending.

Turn Off Ads?