Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Dispensatory: Post'm if you got'm

Trade Dispensatory: Post'm if you got'm

Ah, well, the Reds have got next to nothing going on at the Winter Meetings this year. I figured we could help them out by insisting on our own well hatched ideas.

When the Reds miss the playoffs next year, they'll have only themselves to blame if they don't visit this thread.

In the vein of prying loose a SS let's try:

Harang + 6 million + Cozart + Janish + Francisco + Ondrusek

For

Elvis Andrus 21 y/o SS

Don't know if I like that one, just trying to land Andrus, who appears to be Janish and Cozart's ceilings mashed together. Take the 6 mil savings and pickup a FA SP and Jamie Carrol.

More dirt later. Time to watch XU.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Trade Dispensatory: Post'm if you got'm

Harang ($12M) + Alonso ($1M) + Janish + Dorn

For

SS Jose Reyes (Mets) - turns 27 next June, averaged 155 games per season over 4 seasons before a fluke injury this season, but did return at end of season, 301 careeer stolen bases, .337 career OBP, .286 career average, makes $9M in '10.

Reds save $4M in deal, get their SS and improve offense, leadoff hitting, speed on basepaths (Reyes averaged 64 SB's in 4 healthy consecutive seasons), etc. Dorn is the odd man out in the OF. He is getting older and eventually will end up rule 5 anyway. Janish gives them a SS for now. Alonso has no place to play with Votto ahead of him, and Mets need a first baseman as theirs is old (Delgado - turns 38 in June and is no longer under contract). Mets need pitching as 3 of their starters ended season on DL. Harang is a workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

For

SS Jose Reyes (Mets) - turns 27 next June, averaged 155 games per season over 4 seasons before a fluke injury this season, but did return at end of season, 301 careeer stolen bases, .337 career OBP, .286 career average, makes $9M in '10.

Reds save $4M in deal, get their SS and improve offense, leadoff hitting, speed on basepaths (Reyes averaged 64 SB's in 4 healthy consecutive seasons), etc. Dorn is the odd man out in the OF. He is getting older and eventually will end up rule 5 anyway. Janish gives them a SS for now. Alonso has no place to play with Votto ahead of him, and Mets need a first baseman as theirs is old (Delgado - turns 38 in June and is no longer under contract). Mets need pitching as 3 of their starters ended season on DL. Harang is a workhorse.
    How close is Mike Leake or Travis Wood to being ready for the starting rotation? Maybe a combo the first year?

With the Angels interested in Bay, that would probably leave Rivera the odd man out.

How about CoCo for Izturis & Rivera? Massett slides to the closers role...we get a SS & a LF. I'm sure there would be a little more that would be added, but it would fill 2 need areas.

Harang to the Mets for Salary Relief
    Juan Francisco + Matt Moloney + Chris Hiesey + Pedro Viola for Andy Sonnastine ( my spelling is probaly wrong) and Reid Brignac
    Sign Jermaine Dye to a 2 yr 15 mil

1. Stubbs
    2. Phillips
    3. Votto
    4. Dye
    5. Rolen
    6. Bruce
    7. Hernandez
    8. Brigac

1. Bronson Arroyo
    2. Johnny Cueto
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Andy Sonnastine
    5. Micah Owings/Edison Volquez ( heard he is making great progress and could return by the all star break)

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Juan Francisco + Matt Moloney + Chris Hiesey + Pedro Viola for Andy Sonnastine ( my spelling is probaly wrong) and Reid Brignac

1. Stubbs
    2. Phillips
    3. Votto
    4. Dye
    5. Rolen
    6. Bruce
    7. Hernandez
    8. Brigac

1. Bronson Arroyo
    2. Johnny Cueto
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Andy Sonnastine
    5. Micah Owings/Edison Volquez ( heard he is making great progress and could return by the all star break)
    You see......I don't like it. You're trading away guys who have value to the Reds.

I traded Harang because of his salary and his numbers are average anymore. Alonso has no place to go with the Reds because he only plays 1B (Votto), yet he is a former #1 pick who is producing in the minors. If we trade for a SS, then Janish is dispensable, and we still have Cozart in the wings. Finally, Danny Dorn is the "odd man out" outfielder with Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey, Dickerson, Balentien ahead of him. He is getting older and soon will be rule 5 material. Everyone I traded was dispensable based on salary or players ahead of them.

I don't want to see Francisco or Heisey traded. For that matter, even Maloney traded.

Alot of merit in some of these ideas. Don't see one I'd offer but some are close. Harang to the Mets seems like a good fit, except he also finished the year on the DL which could make NY hesitant. Harang for Reyes is something that has crossed my mind but I guess I don't see NY parting with him when push comes to shove. Likewise with Andrus although if we actually offered all that Texas would have to be crazy not to accept it.

Willy Taveras, Danny Dorn & Mike Lincoln to KC for David DeJesus. If they don't bite just accept Juan Cruz instead.

Quote Originally Posted by urdun View Post
    Alot of merit in some of these ideas. Don't see one I'd offer but some are close. Harang to the Mets seems like a good fit, except he also finished the year on the DL which could make NY hesitant. Harang for Reyes is something that has crossed my mind but I guess I don't see NY parting with him when push comes to shove. Likewise with Andrus although if we actually offered all that Texas would have to be crazy not to accept it.

Willy Taveras, Danny Dorn & Mike Lincoln to KC for David DeJesus. If they don't bite just accept Juan Cruz instead.
    It's not like Harang had arm or shoulder problems. He had appendicitus, didn't he?

It's not like Harang had arm or shoulder problems. He had appendicitus, didn't he?
    True.

.....and Reyes came back from injury at the end of the season and played. So he should be healed.

[QUOTE=RedLakerFan24;2000087]Harang to the Mets for Salary Relief

I wouldn't be satisfied with that trade since it seems a lot. Andy Sonnanstine stinks so let's say it's him for Viola. That leaves Maloney, Heisey and Francisco for Brignac. I'm not so sure I'd do that.

Why does everyone seem to think Harang is garbage? Harang finished the season with a better ERA than Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Maloney, and Owings. Of the guys who started regularly, only Arroyo posted a lower ERA than Harang.

I mean, if the Reds absolutely have to cut salary at this very moment, then I guess dealing Harang for peanuts right now makes sense. On the other hand, Harang pitched very well during the first half last year and could easily do the same again this year. If the Reds aren't in contention at that point, I think that you can get a lot better return for the big guy when the receiving team is only paying the prorated portion of his contract.

That's just my take. I guess I just don't see the value in dealing away a workhorse-type pitcher, probably paying part of his salary just for someone to take him, and receiving a worthless B-level prospect in return (at best). I think he can still provide the Reds with some value.

For

I like the idea, Reyes has 2-3 years left of peak performance. How much does he cost a year? I do think they'd ask for more than Alonso, perhaps some cash for Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    How close is Mike Leake or Travis Wood to being ready for the starting rotation? Maybe a combo the first year?
    Wood is very close. Leake may be ready now, but we'll have to wait. AA is where he starts.

[QUOTE=Farnsie;2000173]
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post

I wouldn't be satisfied with that trade since it seems a lot. Andy Sonnanstine stinks so let's say it's him for Viola. That leaves Maloney, Heisey and Francisco for Brignac. I'm not so sure I'd do that.
    Brignac is perhaps over-rated, as many SS prospects are. But I think Andrus is the real deal. Lakerfan, if you upgraded the pitcher in the deal, it might work though.

Turn Off Ads?