Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Ohio State will defend Oregon's spread offense in Rose

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

How Ohio State will defend Oregon's spread offense in Rose

http://harleyinthehuddle.blogspot.co...body-stop.html

Really nice write up done by a former Ohio State player. I can't wait for the matchup of these two high powered offensive units. January 1st can't come soon enough!
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Ohio State will defend Oregon's spread offense in Rose

my guess is not very well considering the recent history of OSU and spread offenses in BCS games. After playing excellent defense all year they have made it to the BCS only to get schooled on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    my guess is not very well considering the recent history of OSU and spread offenses in BCS games. After playing excellent defense all year they have made it to the BCS only to get schooled on defense.
    I disagree here.

The past problems defending the spread stemmed from major problems on the defensive line. Those problems have been solved. The "OSU doesn't have enough speed" theory was nothing but a myth. The speed was plenty enough, but the work in the trenches was terrible. They weren't getting into the backfield, and backs were sprinting through massive holes.

Those holes aren't there any longer, and I expect the D to lock up this Oregon offense and throw away the key.

The Bucks did not see a spread offense anywhere the caliber of Oregon during the regular season. Call me skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it.

The other thing that happens is that given a month the opposing offenses seem to put a lot of new stuff that catches the Bucks off guard during the game. I don't expect that to change.

Ohio State has done much better versus the spread recently.

And they only faced one true spread team in a BCS game in 2006 against Florida.

When Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez, Ohio State sent a crew down to South Florida to talk to their coaches about beating spread offenses. They have been much better since. Teams played since then that run some version of the spread:
    Michigan 2-0
    Penn State 1-1 Loss pinned on Ohio State offense
    Illinois 2-0
    Indiana 1-0
    Purdue 1-1 loss pinned on Ohio State's offense
    Northwestern 1-0
    Minnesota 2-0
    Texas 0-1 (isn't a read option spread, but I would call them a spread team, they certainly weren't blown out there either.)
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    And they only faced one true spread team in a BCS game in 2006 against Florida.
    both LSU and Texas killed em when they spread it out. The problem has become the Bucks can defend the lesser athletes of their Big10 opponents when they go spread but recent history has shown they struggle when they get up against a BCS opponent that spreads them out.

Might the Oregon game this year be different than the recent past? Sure but at this point I'm not buying it, I want to see it in the Rose Bowl.

The Bucks did not see a spread offense anywhere the caliber of Oregon during the regular season. Call me skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it.

The other thing that happens is that given a month the opposing offenses seem to put a lot of new stuff that catches the Bucks off guard during the game. I don't expect that to change.
    I understand your skepticism. But you have to understand, the same argument can be made about whether Oregon can rack up yards against this defense. They haven't faced a different anywhere near this good all season long. The Pac 10, with USC having a down year, is practically void of dominant defenses.

I don't expect to shut Oregon out. But I have a hard time believing they're going to rack up 500+ yards of offense on this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    But I have a hard time believing they're going to rack up 500+ yards of offense on this defense.
    they won't need to. If they can go for 350 and not turn it over it should be enough to get the win. The Bucks will need to keep them under 300 unless Oregon turns it over.

If there is something positive to say at least over the course of the last month of the season the Bucks found their identity on offense (power running and throw it only when necessary). However, that will only work if the defense can shut down the opponent or force turnovers.

IMO, the Big10 looked like a down conference again this year. Maybe one of these years they will actually perform well in bowl games.

Oregon is the best offense that Ohio State has seen this year.
    Ohio State is the best defense that Oregon has seen this year.

Again I go back to the Texas game last season, Texas and their high powered offense certainly didn't blow them out. I expect Thaddeus Gibson and Cam Heyward to be in the Oregon backfield all night. Rolle, Hines, and Homan are players that are specifically suited for playing spread teams. I don't expect to see much of Austin Spitler in this game.

I won't pretend to have any idea about how Ohio State's pedestrian offense will look versus Oregon's pedestrian defense.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

they won't need to. If they can go for 350 and not turn it over it should be enough to get the win. The Bucks will need to keep them under 300 unless Oregon turns it over.

If there is something positive to say at least over the course of the last month of the season the Bucks found their identity on offense (power running and throw it only when necessary). However, that will only work if the defense can shut down the opponent or force turnovers.

IMO, the Big10 looked like a down conference again this year. Maybe one of these years they will actually perform well in bowl games.
    I think if OSU hold them to 350 yards or less, it should be considered a success.

I think it's unfair to say that if they don't hold them under 300 yards, it's a failure. That may be impossible against this offense.

I'm not saying we're going to win the game. I have the same questions about our offense that you do. But what I don't question is the skill and ability of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I won't pretend to have any idea about how Ohio State's pedestrian offense will look versus Oregon's pedestrian defense.
    they will have to be able to run the ball to have success. Early in the year the Bucks tried to ride the arm of Pryor and that turned out to be a bad idea. they will need to pound on those Ducky Boys with the run and use that to open up some play action opportunities to go deep.

Over the years the Rose Bowl has not been a kind place to the Bucks.

they will have to be able to run the ball to have success. Early in the year the Bucks tried to ride the arm of Pryor and that turned out to be a bad idea. they will need to pound on those Ducky Boys with the run and use that to open up some play action opportunities to go deep.

Over the years the Rose Bowl has not been a kind place to the Bucks.
    But they are on a winning streak .

Oregon is 1-3 all time in the Rose Bowl.

Ohio State is 6-6 all time in the Rose Bowl.

Ohio State is 7-0 all time versus Oregon.

Those three nuggets won't get you a Happy Meal.

Oregon has a very, very good offense but Masoli is prone to turning the ball over. I expect OSU to win this game by 10-14 points.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Oregon has a very, very good offense but Masoli is prone to turning the ball over. I expect OSU to win this game by 10-14 points.
    All of which will prove that Oregon wasn't a very good team after all since the Buckeyes beat them

Turn Off Ads?