Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-8-09. Marty and Thom began the show by gushing about RedsFest. They said that they had a record attendance on Friday night. Marty said that Adam Rosales was the highest finishing Reds player in the poker tournament. (I wonder if he sprinted around the table after he won a hand?) Marty lamented that Todd Frazier didn’t win. Marty said that he’s going to be rooting for him big time and the team will be very well served in the future by these young players.

The first caller congratulated the Reds Community Fund for their involvement in RedsFest and local charities. Marty said if he had to hire someone to start a fundraising deal it would be Charlie Frank of the Reds Community Fund. Thom gave kudos to the people who participated with the Reds Community Fund.

Marty mentioned a 3 way deal with the Yankees, Tigers and Diamondbacks. Thom couldn’t believe that Arizona would trade Max Scherzer. He said he’s as impressive a young pitcher as he’s seen in a long time. He heard that he might not be durable enough to start even though he’s a big guy.

The next caller asked how good Votto could be. Thom said he will put up numbers outside of Pujols and power numbers outside of Howard. (Not quite sure what he means there. Probably that he will put up numbers better than anyone except those two.) Thom thinks he can hit around .300 every year but has to get a little better against left handed pitchers. Thom said he could put up 30 Hrs and 115-120 RBIs playing at GAB as long as guys are getting on base in front of him. (It’d be nice if Dusty would bat guys ahead of him that get on base. Thom gets it why can’t Dusty?) Marty said that he couldn’t agree more.

The next caller said that he would like to see Harang be the Opening Day starter. Thom said Dusty was talking about that at RedsFest and said that it would mean more to Harang to start on Opening Day. He said if he starts on Opening Day in 2010 he’ll tie Soto for most consecutive Opening day starts. Thom said that based on last season, Bronson deserves the start. Marty agreed.

Marty said that Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN after the winter meetings but they are not sure what he is going to do next. (Looks like he’s going to the MLB Network.)

After commercial, the next caller also praised RedsFest and said they do enough to tweak it every year to make it better and better.

The next caller asked what Paul Keels’ role would be in the booth. Thom said he will do some play by play on TV when Thom isn’t. He congratulated Keels and Jim Kelch on becoming Reds announcers. Marty complimented Fox Sports Ohio and Phil Castellini for working hard to bring in those guys. He said it was important to him, Thom, Brantley and Chris Welch to have guys work with them that are compatible to their style.

The next caller asked about rumors regarding trading Brandon. Marty said that Dusty said that he will stay with the Reds at 2nd base.

The next caller praised RedsFest and especially George Foster. Thom said that RedsFest is such a family friendly place to be. Marty said they just add something every year to make it better. He said that nearly the whole team was there with the exception of Homer and Janish. Janish was getting married and Homer was in his wedding. Marty said he didn’t know why Willy Tavares wasn’t there but he wasn’t. (Probably because no one wanted to see him. Or he had about as much trouble finding the airport as he did 1st base.)

Marty said that Chone Figgins signed with Seattle for 4 years $36M.

After commercial, the next caller said that Brandon pitched whiffleball to kids for about an hour on Friday night after all his stuff was completed. Thom said he’s like that all the time and he’s gold with the kids. The caller said his girls were tickled to get his autograph and he’s a very personable guy. Marty said that he and Votto are the faces of the franchise.

The next caller asked if Gomes would platoon in LF next year. Thom said that Gomes isn’t under contract to the Reds. They have to decide whether to offer him arbitration or not or sign him to a contract. Thom added that Walt was saying at RedsFest that he hasn’t spoken much with his agent about trying to get something done. He said that if he is re-signed, he will probably split time in LF with Dickerson or perhaps Heisey. Marty said that Heisey was #1 on the depth chart in LF. Thom said that would be exciting.

The next caller wanted to know who they thought were the Reds top prospects. Marty said he thinks it’s Heisey but you can’t discount Frazier. He said long term you have to consider Yonder but you don’t know where to play him. He also mentioned Mike Leake. Thom likes Juan Francisco but he thinks they would like to see him play a year at AAA. He said he’s been playing LF in Winter Ball. Thom likes Stubbs but is hesitant about handing him the starting CF job over Dickerson. Marty said he is ready to give Stubbs the nod over Dickerson because Dickerson has problems staying healthy. He said that Stubbs is a better base stealer but Dickerson is a better defensive CFer.

After commercial, the next caller asked about how Thom transitions from baseball to football and how he knows everything about the players. Thom said he reads a lot in the media guides and for baseball, he can talk to the managers. Marty said the internet is a great tool for research.

The next caller got ran by Marty for being an even bigger idiot than most callers usually are.

The next caller complimented the Reds for continuing to get more announcing talent. (Announcing talent is cheaper than on the field talent) Both Brennamans said that they looked forward to working with Kelch and Keels.

After commercial, the next caller asked if the 4 OFers could carry the offensive load and make up for lack of offense by Janish. Thom said that those 4 - Gomes, Stubbs, Dickerson and Bruce - may or may not be enough. Marty said you know what you will get from Brandon and Votto and he thinks Hernandez is a great signing and he knows what he’s doing at the plate. He said that it comes down to the OF. If they hit, the club will win, if they don’t, it will be difficult.

The next caller asked about George Grande. Marty said George was fine and heavily involved in RedsFest. He said he’ll be missed and there isn’t a nicer guy out there.

The next caller wanted to congratulate the people in the Reds HOF and Museum for making that area at RedsFest something special (Especially the vintage base ball table )

The next caller asked if he has a reason to root for the Reds this year. Thom said there is no doubt about it and thinks things are going in the right direction. He said the pitching and young players are going to make the Reds exciting. Marty agreed and said they are so deep they could afford to lose Volquez. He said the bullpen is strong.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-8-09. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Dickerson over Stubbs defensively? They're both great, but I would definitely put Stubbs over Dickerson
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Dickerson over Stubbs defensively? They're both great, but I would definitely put Stubbs over Dickerson
    I agree. Dickerson is a plus defender but Stubbs is a plus-plus defender, IMO. Either way, they're both great.

Thanks Chip.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

For what its worth...I was caller 6 and my wife was caller 19...though I dont remember her mentioning those in vintage baseball uniforms...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    For what its worth...I was caller 6 and my wife was caller 19...though I dont remember her mentioning those in vintage baseball uniforms...
    She have something against us?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Nahhh...she just loved the VIP Members Lounge at the HOF section so much...I think she forgot everything else...

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Thom said that RedsFest is such a family friendly place to be. Marty said they just add something every year to make it better. He said that nearly the whole team was there with the exception of Homer and Janish. Janish was getting married and Homer was in his wedding. Marty said he didn’t know why Willy Tavares wasn’t there but he wasn’t. (Probably because no one wanted to see him. Or he had about as much trouble finding the airport as he did 1st base.)
    You owe me a new computer screen because I just spewed tea all over my current one, LMAO

Redsfest was definitely awesome. I'm glad that people called in to talk about it and that they also had a great time. *mental note: Post Redsfest pictures this weekend*

Chip: If you were still in the HOF area during the early part of the evening on Saturday, I think I saw you there. I was the girl walking around in a red Votto t-shirt eating ice cream and for a while watching the 1990 video across the way from your table.

Thanks again for the great recap!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The next caller said that he would like to see Harang be the Opening Day starter. Thom said Dusty was talking about that at RedsFest and said that it would mean more to Harang to start on Opening Day. He said if he starts on Opening Day in 2010 he’ll tie Soto for most consecutive Opening day starts. Thom said that based on last season, Bronson deserves the start. Marty agreed.
    I like Harang but, imo, Volquez should've gotten the call last year and Arroyo should get it next year.
    The next caller wanted to know who they thought were the Reds top prospects. Marty said he thinks it’s Heisey but you can’t discount Frazier. He said long term you have to consider Yonder but you don’t know where to play him. He also mentioned Mike Leake. Thom likes Juan Francisco but he thinks they would like to see him play a year at AAA. He said he’s been playing LF in Winter Ball. Thom likes Stubbs but is hesitant about handing him the starting CF job over Dickerson. Marty said he is ready to give Stubbs the nod over Dickerson because Dickerson has problems staying healthy. He said that Stubbs is a better base stealer but Dickerson is a better defensive CFer.
    I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but it sounded to me like he was saying that Dickerson plays better defensively in center than in left. That part didn't sound like it was meant as a comparison to Stubbs.

Thanks Chip as always, and it was nice to meet you at Redsfest.
    Let's play two!!!

The next caller got ran by Marty for being an even bigger idiot than most callers usually are.

Anyone care to elaborate on that. I could use a chuckle this morning.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Chip: If you were still in the HOF area during the early part of the evening on Saturday, I think I saw you there. I was the girl walking around in a red Votto t-shirt eating ice cream and for a while watching the 1990 video across the way from your table.

And you didn't come over to say hi? You too good for us or something?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Marty said you know what you will get from Brandon and Votto and he thinks Hernandez is a great signing and he knows what he’s doing at the plate. He said that it comes down to the OF. If they hit, the club will win, if they don’t, it will be difficult.
    ....I'm often very critical of marty, but .....well given reasonable health elsewhere, isn't this almost exactly true? The starting pitching is deep enough. The bullpen shouldn't be a disaster. The infield is gonna be pretty good (if healthy)...but the outfield is full of question marks.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

And you didn't come over to say hi? You too good for us or something?
    No, I was too nervous and not sure if you were still there at that time or not! I should have just gone over and said, "Hey, which one of you is Chip?!" but I'm not that outgoing and bold in real life, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    No, I was too nervous and not sure if you were still there at that time or not! I should have just gone over and said, "Hey, which one of you is Chip?!" but I'm not that outgoing and bold in real life, LOL

Snob. : Just for that you have to buy me a beer at the next RedsZone outing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Snob. : Just for that you have to buy me a beer at the next RedsZone outing.
    That's Ms. Snob to you, LOL

And you have a deal on the Redszone outing. It may be the only time I ever purchase a beer at GABP since I don't like the stuff. :

Turn Off Ads?