Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nationals sign Ivan Rodriguez

Nationals sign Ivan Rodriguez

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

12/08/09 7:54 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS -- A day after it was revealed that the Nationals and catcher Ivan Rodriguez agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal, general manager Mike Rizzo and team president Stan Kasten decided not to talk to local reporters about Rodriguez because, according to baseball sources, there is a physical pending.

Rodriguez, who was not available for comment, most likely will take his physical in Washington D.C. on Thursday or Friday, and the Nationals will hold a news conference soon thereafter.

Rodriguez, 38, will serve as a backup and role model to Jesus Flores, who is expected to be ready for Spring Training after having surgery on his right shoulder and right elbow. It turns out that Rodriguez is one of Flores' baseball heroes.

However, another source told MLB.com that Rodriguez could be the Opening Day catcher for Washington in 2010 because manager Jim Riggleman does not want to rush Flores back on the field.

"[The Nationals] want to go slow with Flores," the source said. "By June, Flores and Rodriguez may split time, or [Riggleman] may go with the hot hand. We know this -- Rodriguez is not going to play 100 games."

The Nationals have targeted Rodriguez since the 2009 season came to an end. They feel he has a lot left in the tank -- offensively and defensively -- and can be a huge difference in the clubhouse. The team does not feel, however, that he can play over 100 games like he did in 16 out of his 19 years in the big leagues.

"He is comfortable with his role. He knows where he is at in his career," said a person familiar with Rodriguez. "He knows how to be most productive for the ballclub. This guy is a consummate team player. He is there to win. He is a true champion-type of player."

With Rodriguez past his prime, however, why did the Nationals sign him to a two-year deal? One source said the catcher could have accepted arbitration from the Rangers or inked a one-year deal worth a lot more money than what the Nationals were offering. Adding the extra year enticed Rodriguez to join the Nats. Rodriguez did not want to sign a one-year deal with Washington.

Rodriguez has played in 14 All-Star Games and won 13 Gold Glove Awards, most by a catcher and tied for fourth most at any position. The 1999 American League MVP Award winner also has more runs (1,277), hits (2,618) and doubles (526) than any other backstop in Major League history.

Rodriguez served as a backup for the Rangers after being acquired from the Astros in August. He played in a combined 121 games and hit .249 with 10 home runs and 47 RBIs in 2009.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nationals sign Ivan Rodriguez

Too much money, too many years, not enough production.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Veteran Presence and Clubhouse Leadership cost a lot of money.

I understand what folks are saying, but for the very young staff the Nats have, I think Rodriguez is a presence that will pay dividends. I know that's always an intangible folks don't care for, but I think he'll be a plus for them where they are right now.

As for the money, there's no question Washington has the money. It was one of the beefs of the local press that they weren't spending like they could. And I agree they're forced to spend more to land folks, but we're familiar with that point.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I thought pitchers couldn't stand throwing to him?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I understand what folks are saying, but for the very young staff the Nats have, I think Rodriguez is a presence that will pay dividends. I know that's always an intangible folks don't care for, but I think he'll be a plus for them where they are right now.

As for the money, there's no question Washington has the money. It was one of the beefs of the local press that they weren't spending like they could. And I agree they're forced to spend more to land folks, but we're familiar with that point.

I'm surprised you agree with this signing.

It's not how much money you spend but how you spend it.

Turn Off Ads?