Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 259

Thread: NEVER talk to the police

  1. #61
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,988

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There's honestly no winning for police officers; especially traffic cops.
    I think that's entirely true. Its an enormously difficult and largely unappreciated profession. Like I said, I have all the respect in the world for them. But I got a taste of that bear trap and learned my lesson.

    FWIW, I've never gotten pulled over or accosted "just because". There was always a good reason.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or that perhaps you aren't as good of a driver as you think you are. You are taking the extreme option rather than the likely one. If you were the biggest criminal on the earth, you wouldn't be getting pulled over. You would be getting brought in for questioning at the very least.
    Or perhaps cops arent the saints you think they are? You choose to think that they are on your side even when they pull you over. It's pretty obvious that when they pull you over they view you as a criminal from the start other wise they wouldnt pull you over.

  4. #63
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,852

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Or perhaps cops arent the saints you think they are? You choose to think that they are on your side even when they pull you over. It's pretty obvious that when they pull you over they view you as a criminal from the start other wise they wouldnt pull you over.
    You are equating a traffic violation as a criminal act. Its not. I don't think cops are saints and I do believe there are some out there who do abuse their power. I think its highly unlikely that you have been pulled over 7 times for no reason at all. Mathematically the odds of that are astronomical.

  5. #64
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,382

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Ive been pulled over probably 10 times and only 3 times was for a legit reason which was speeding. Maybe i look like a bad dude or something but what is there to profile about a white male driving a late 90s A4? I dont want to really make this about me but from my experiances I know its better to not tell a cop anything and normally answer their questions with a question so that it makes them have to provide what ever evidence they supposedly have instead of me giving it to them. Thats why they always ask "do you know how fast you were going" and things like that. They want you to admit that you were speeding so that they have a confession right then and there. They want to find a reason to charge you everything they do is to help their case that you were speeding or what ever the crime is. They arent pulling you over to make sure you are having a good day.
    I've been pulled over for for legitimate reasons and gotten out of the ticket by talking. Here's how one went down last year:

    I was test driving a car and doing 50 in a 35.
    Cop pulls me over.
    Before he said anything, I say, "Fifty! Geez, this thing doesn't drive like my pickup".
    Cop laughs, returns to his vehicle, runs my plates and notices that I have not had a violation in twenty years. Returns to my car and says, "Be careful on the way back to the dealership."

    How do I do it? Well, I don't know really. Maybe it's because I used to be a fireman and dealt with cops all the time in a "coworker" environment. Certainly, I don't get my underwear all in a wad if I get pulled over, so maybe that helps. But honestly, I've been pulled over at least three times that I can remember and not gotten ticketed. In each situation I admitted the violation and got a warning.

    One thing is certain, the police do pull people over to look for other things. Recently, I was helping a guy look at his case file in the state court system (I work in a library now)- he was facing a drug trial and I noticed that prior to his arrest on trafficking charges he had a slew of ticky tacky traffic stops; seatbelt violations, tail lights, improper lane changes. A good friend of mine who is a deputy sheriff in my county explained to me that it was probably due to the police targeting the guy because they knew he was dealing. More than likely, the cops had him on their radar. He also laughs and says he's pretty sure that if a "Dare to keep kids off drugs" bumper sticker could be permissible as probable cause to search a car, it would lead to convictions about 95% of the time.

    Anyway, long story short- it's not always cut and dried. Do cops pull people over for things that don't seem to exist? Sure. Do they get bad guys off the street that way? Once in a while, yes. Do they occasionally target people who aren't doing anything wrong. Probably.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You are equating a traffic violation as a criminal act. Its not. I don't think cops are saints and I do believe there are some out there who do abuse their power. I think its highly unlikely that you have been pulled over 7 times for no reason at all. Mathematically the odds of that are astronomical.
    there was so much reason I have never been charged with anything or given a ticket for anything other than a speeding ticket. I do admit that probably 4 of those times I was driving at night time but last time I checked driving no matter what time it is isnt a crime. We all know the BS reasons cops pull people over. Lights not working, weaving, and failure to stop. They are crap excuses to get a closer look inside your car. You are perfectly fine with a cop pulling you over saying you are suspicious? That could be anything from looking at you looking at a cop or not looking at a cop if he pulls up beside you. Cops, not all of course, believe it or not are shady and dont care about you. All they care about is getting what ever info they want from you.
    Last edited by GIDP; 12-10-2009 at 01:51 PM.

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,035

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    In my book, cops are a notch above bankers on the useful scale.

  8. #67
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,852

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    there was so much reason I have never been charged with anything or given a ticket for anything other than a speeding ticket. I do admit that probably 4 of those times I was driving at night time but last time I checked driving no matter what time it is isnt a crime. We all know the BS reasons cops pull people over. Lights not working, weaving, and failure to stop. They are crap excuses to get a closer look inside your car. You are perfectly fine with a cop pulling you over saying you are suspicious? That could be anything from looking at you looking at a cop or not looking at a cop if he pulls up beside you. Cops, not all of course, believe it or not are shady and dont care about you. All they care about is getting what ever info they want from you.
    Yes, I am perfectly fine with it. I have nothing to hide from them so they aren't going to get something from me that isn't there. I have allowed a cop to search my car once when I had no reason to allow him to do so. I had nothing to hide at all in my car though. I just happened to be pulled off the side of the highway at 2:30am at the time in a car with 4 early 20's people. He figured we had alcohol in the car. I get that assumption. I popped the trunk for him and let him have at it. 2 minutes later we were back on the highway with no problems.

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, I am perfectly fine with it. I have nothing to hide from them so they aren't going to get something from me that isn't there. I have allowed a cop to search my car once when I had no reason to allow him to do so. I had nothing to hide at all in my car though. I just happened to be pulled off the side of the highway at 2:30am at the time in a car with 4 early 20's people. He figured we had alcohol in the car. I get that assumption. I popped the trunk for him and let him have at it. 2 minutes later we were back on the highway with no problems.
    Thats great that you dont care for your rights. I respect mine.

  10. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,035

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just happened to be pulled off the side of the highway at 2:30am at the time in a car with 4 early 20's people. He figured we had alcohol in the car. I get that assumption. I popped the trunk for him and let him have at it. 2 minutes later we were back on the highway with no problems.
    Gotta tell ya' that wasn't a good idea. Could you vouche for everyone in the car? If one of them had a baggy and threw onto the floor, it's you who's going to pay.

    Frankly, those of you who role over on this stuff make it tough for those of us who take the Bill of Rights to heart.

  11. #70
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,214

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, I am perfectly fine with it. I have nothing to hide from them so they aren't going to get something from me that isn't there. I have allowed a cop to search my car once when I had no reason to allow him to do so. I had nothing to hide at all in my car though. I just happened to be pulled off the side of the highway at 2:30am at the time in a car with 4 early 20's people. He figured we had alcohol in the car. I get that assumption. I popped the trunk for him and let him have at it. 2 minutes later we were back on the highway with no problems.
    Sounds like another episode of.....


  12. #71
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,852

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Gotta tell ya' that wasn't a good idea. Could you vouche for everyone in the car? If one of them had a baggy and threw onto the floor, it's you who's going to pay.

    Frankly, those of you who role over on this stuff make it tough for those of us who take the Bill of Rights to heart.
    Yes, I could vouch for all of them. They were 3 of my best friends in the world who all had never had an ounce of alcohol or touched a drug in their life.

    I didn't roll over on my choice. Its the Bill of Rights and I have the right to allow a search of my car. It seemed much easier for me to allow it than deal with answering questions for the next 10 minutes knowing that I had nothing in the car except people and bike in the trunk.

  13. #72
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,852

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sounds like another episode of.....

    Don't take this the wrong way WOY, but I think I am a little too young to get the reference here.

  14. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    from my point of view cops have zero reason to search me so they will not be given permission to search me if I have the choice.

  15. #74
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Gotta tell ya' that wasn't a good idea. Could you vouche for everyone in the car? If one of them had a baggy and threw onto the floor, it's you who's going to pay.

    Frankly, those of you who role over on this stuff make it tough for those of us who take the Bill of Rights to heart.
    Implicit with any Right is the ability to waive that Right. If that is taken away you no longer have a Right, you have a Requirement.

    Doug assessed the situation and decided that waiving his Right was the best course of action. So he did.

  16. #75
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,852

    Re: NEVER talk to the police

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    from my point of view cops have zero reason to search me so they will not be given permission to search me if I have the choice.
    Which is your right. I have refused a search in the past as well. It depends on the situation. When I refused the search there was no reason for them to ask for it given the reason they were talking with me. In the case where I said search away, I felt in the cops mind he had a reason to be suspicious.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25