Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

The Big 12 Becomes 10

I really don't get how this Big 12 deal will work out. Apparently the money will not be evenly distributed.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

According to sources familiar with the deal, Texas stands to earn between $20 million and $25 million in television revenue, including money from its own network. The UT network figures to generate between $3 million and $5 million, according to sources.

According to sources, the deal will mean more money for Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, who all stand receive $20 million from the new deal. The other seven schools in the Big 12 would make between $14 million and $17 million, but would nearly double what they currently receive in TV revenue (roughly $7 million to $9 million).
    Now if I understand this correctly, Texas will get its own network and the Big 12 as a whole will get a TV deal.

Who's ever heard of a conference who pays out more money to some members than it does to others? How can one team in the conference be allowed to have its own network? Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of having a conference? How is it fair for Texas to make $25mill while other schools only make $14mill? I don't see how such a setup can work longterm. Over the yrs the financial inequities will mount.

If I'm the Big 12 and I do want to continue I start shopping the Mountain West or wherever for two more teams. This deal sure seems like a square peg/round hole thing

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's kind of anti climatic to hear that the Big 12 is not going to dissolve.
    I'm not entirely convinced that Texas holds all of the cards for the Big XII. Would the Big XII be viable without A&M and Oklahoma, if they go to the SEC? If Oklahoma goes, does Oklahoma State try to go with them?

The guy at Orangebloods says that A&M feels a kinship with the schools in the SEC and that they like the idea of being one of the bigger fish, academically, in that pond. I don't know what they're thinking at Oklahoma, but I know they're not going to do something just because UT wants them to do it.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 06-14-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that Texas holds all of the cards for the Big XII. Would the Big XII be viable without A&M and Oklahoma, if they go to the SEC? If Oklahoma goes, does Oklahoma State try to go with them?
    If anyone else peels off the Big 12 they're in big, big trouble

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I hope he made sure to send a link to that article to all 1200 of his twitter followers. http://twitter.com/DJGalloESPN

Seriously, he can't be getting paid to write that crap, can he?

The inferiority complex some people have where the SEC is concerned is so played out. Why not just enjoy your own conference?
    Well I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, but you're right, it's not like the Big Ten has a reputation for being slower and weaker than the SEC. It's not as though we hear about the greatness of the SEC throughout the entire football season.

But just so you know he makes snide comments about the Big 10+2 and he makes fun of Notre Dame. A lot.
    --- ---- ---- ----
    Missouri
    Positive: It's a school with a state for a name. That sounds impressive. It might not be Texas or Florida, but it's not Montana or Rhode Island, either. So that's nice.
    Negative: Adding Missouri would have no wow factor. And as you know from watching Big Ten football and basketball, this is a conference that demands excitement.
    ---- ----- ---- ----

Nebraska

Positive: Nebraska has a storied football program. In fact, it could single-handedly change the negative perception of the letter N in Big Ten country. You'd be off the hook, Northwestern!
    Negative: Like several other Big Ten programs, Nebraska is living more off history than recent accomplishments. Adding them wouldn't really change the perception of the Big Ten as an old power. If the Big Ten adds Nebraska, the next conference expansion likely would include Army, Harvard and the University of Chicago.
    ------- ----------- ------------

If you could laugh at yourself it'd make it a little easier to take it seriously when we hear the last place team in the SEC could beat a combined Ohio State/Texas all star team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    The Big East won't add without first losing members. They can't have 20 for non-football sports. It would be a logistical catastrophe.
    Football is driving the ship either theyd figure out something or more likely a divorce from the non football schools. I wish I had some hard numbers to float out there but the Big East has been in conversations with the NFL network (and Special Consultant Paul Tagliabue) about getting a Big East Network off the ground.

The Big 10 seems to want ONE of Syracuse or Rutgers from most reports, none of the other schools really have much to offer. If I were them and they looking at strictly TVs I would look southeast not northeast. Theres cracks in the ACC armor, its just below the surface and a couple schools that would add everything including AAU associations into very rich tv/recruiting areas that some of the members already fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The Big 12 (10) will still fall apart, it just won't happen until the smaller football schools (Kansas, Iowa St. ext) have a better option on the table.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Big 12 (10) will still fall apart, it just won't happen until the smaller football schools (Kansas, Iowa St. ext) have a better option on the table.
    I don't see that they will have a better option than staying put. I would think they are going to develop an exit strategy in case other conferences come poaching Texas and/or Oklahoma. But this is a godsend to those schools. Iowa State gets a much needed revenue boost with the Iowa Board of Regents telling the state schools that the athletic departments will probably need to be self sufficient. Kansas basketball stays in a BCS conference and is still a top dog in the conference. As long as Texas and Oklahoma are in the conference, the lesser lights get a piece of the action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State announced this evening that they're staying, too. Money talks and the Big 12 delivered enough of it to make it worthwhile to stay put.
    /r/reds

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't see that they will have a better option than staying put. I would think they are going to develop an exit strategy in case other conferences come poaching Texas and/or Oklahoma. But this is a godsend to those schools. Iowa State gets a much needed revenue boost with the Iowa Board of Regents telling the state schools that the athletic departments will probably need to be self sufficient. Kansas basketball stays in a BCS conference and is still a top dog in the conference. As long as Texas and Oklahoma are in the conference, the lesser lights get a piece of the action.
    If I were Mizzou, I'd be looking to bolt from any setup that continues to pay Texas & Oklahoma like princes while treating everyone else in the conference like crap.

And, if I were the Big East, I'd be actively seeking to bring them aboard.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If I were Mizzou, I'd be looking to bolt from any setup that continues to pay Texas & Oklahoma like princes while treating everyone else in the conference like crap.

If the Big east is proactive they shouldnt be the only one.

Here is something I actually agree with from a Big 10 school board.
    http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/la-cosa-longhorns
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Sure, if Missouri can go to the Big 10 + 2, they should. However, if the alternative to the Big 12 - 2 is Conference USA or the Mountain West, then they are better off where they are no matter how much money Texas and Oklahoma gets.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Texas A&M fans are skewering the school's president on his Facebook page for staying in the Big 12. They really grew fond of the idea of A&M moving out of the same conference as Texas.
    /r/reds

Texas Tech hasn't announced its support of the Big XII deal. It may follow Colorado to the Pac-10.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...urn-to-be.html
    It appears as though Texas Tech could torpedo the deal out of spite. Many Aggies, who have been blasting a lost opportunity to join the SEC, are openly rooting for Tech to do this because it might force an move that thousands of them favor -- to the SEC.
    /r/reds

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Maybe I've missed it, but I'm not aware the SEC has guaranteed they'll take A&M if Texas isn't coming with them.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Maybe I've missed it, but I'm not aware the SEC has guaranteed they'll take A&M if Texas isn't coming with them.

A&M isn't going anywhere. It's Tech that looks like it may be the 12th member of the Pac 10 + 1. But I'd say them moving is a long shot.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?