Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Adios, Big East.
    Pretty much.

Adios to Cincinnati too, at least as a big-time sports player, if this comes to pass. They'll have to hook back on with C-USA or possibly the MAC if this huge shuffle comes to pass.

Mike Thomas needs to be out, right now, working on an exit strategy for UC if all this comes to pass. If they can't buy their way into another conference, they need to at least consider forming up with some other teams (who might not necessarily be geographic "fits") to see if they can't create a better option for themselves.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

The WAC tried 16 teams and it was a failure, 12 is perfect, 14 would be borderline but acceptable if there were 9 conference games.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Pretty much.

Adios to Cincinnati too, at least as a big-time sports player, if this comes to pass. They'll have to hook back on with C-USA or possibly the MAC if this huge shuffle comes to pass.

Mike Thomas needs to be out, right now, working on an exit strategy for UC if all this comes to pass. If they can't buy their way into another conference, they need to at least consider forming up with some other teams (who might not necessarily be geographic "fits") to see if they can't create a better option for themselves.
    The only hope for the conference to retain its automatic BCS bid (and really, that's what this is all about) is for the remaining five to break off from the basketball-only schools. Then add TCU, Memphis, UCF, East Carolina and possibly Temple. That would actually be a better football conference than the current Big East structure. Syracuse is a far cry from what they used to be and Rutgers has been a poseur for the last five years.

But unless something crazy happens, and the remaining five get assumed into other BCS conferences, UC could very easily find itself in another pseudo C-USA situation. I can't fathom how devastating it would be for UC to have a seat at the BCS table one day and the MAC the next.

The next step is for the BCS conferences to break off completely from the NCAA and form their own organization. My guess is this happens within the next five years.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

What a colossally horrendous idea. I have yet to meet a B10 fan who thinks this is a good idea. Adding one team, good idea. Adding a bunch, awful!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What a colossally horrendous idea. I have yet to meet a B10 fan who thinks this is a good idea. Adding one team, good idea. Adding a bunch, awful!
    +1
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I really wonder if they are doing this to force ND's hand. ND said they want to stay independent but if more leagues start to add teams, combine, etc. they will be forced to do something. If the Big 10 adds teams that will mean another conference will add teams to compensate. I also think that if the Big 10 adds the Pac 10 will add.

I really believe this is all hype to try and force ND into joining now.

That or possibly adding Syracuse, Mizzou, and Pitt and going with 14 teams.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I really believe this is all hype to try and force ND into joining now.

That or possibly adding Syracuse, Mizzou, and Pitt and going with 14 teams.
    I could see ND declining if they are going to add several more teams. That's going to dilute the money they will make. Sharing it with 11 other teams is one thing but with 13-15 others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I could see ND declining if they are going to add several more teams. That's going to dilute the money they will make. Sharing it with 11 other teams is one thing but with 13-15 others?
    Or it could be that adding more teams gives the Big 10 a stronger hand to play when it comes to negotiations with cable companies for carriage of the Big 10 Network, meaning more money for all teams involved.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    /r/reds

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Or it could be that adding more teams gives the Big 10 a stronger hand to play when it comes to negotiations with cable companies for carriage of the Big 10 Network, meaning more money for all teams involved.
    With 16 teams, there might be enough games at one time to fill two networks.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    +1
    And another 1.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I find this all pretty exciting, the more upheaval I figure the more chance the BCS might die. I'd really like to see a college football playoff in my lifetime.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Collin Cowherd said that U Conn may be in play.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Collin Cowherd said that U Conn may be in play.
    Thats one that would surprise me. If the Big 10 is tired of waiting on Notre Dame to crap or get off the pot and go with the multi school plan WVU had better be BEGGING to not get left out and get into the SEC.

WVU Could thrive in the SEC, what we lack in TV market we make up in travel and national ratings.

If ND doesnt want to make a decision....

NCAA works to get it to 14 for championship games...

ACC takes Syracuse and Louisville
    SEC takes WVU and Cincy/ECU maybe?
    Big 10 takes Pitt, UConn, Rutgers
    USF gets the hose most likely.

Thoughts of maybe that happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?