Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Notre Dame gets some BCS money, whether they make the BCS or not. That is why they don't want to join.
    Do they get the money if they don't play in one of the games? I was under the impression that they got the full cut (both team and conference) only when they made one of the games.

Edit: Never mind, I found the following explaining their deal:

Under the new BCS arrangement Notre Dame will be guaranteed one of the at-large slots in a BCS bowl if it is ranked No. 8 or better in the final BCS Standings. It is also guaranteed annual payment for its participation in the BCS. In those seasons in which the Irish play in a BCS game, the school will receive $4.5 million (an amount equivalent that received by a conference that places a second team in a BCS bowl). In those seasons in which Notre Dame does not play in a BCS game, it is projected to be paid $1.3 million for its participation in the BCS arrangement.
    Last edited by joshnky; 03-16-2010 at 09:01 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Do they get the money if they don't play in one of the games? I was under the impression that they got the full cut (both team and conference) only when they made one of the games.

Edit: Never mind, I found the following explaining their deal:
    I wonder how much longer that agreement will last, considering Notre Dame has only made 3 appearances in BCS games and lost all 3. It seems to me that the deal was originally struck at a time when Notre Dame was expected to be participating in BCS games most years. I don't know that Notre Dame will have the same kind of pull if the BCS has to be redone because the Big East falls apart.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I wonder how much longer that agreement will last, considering Notre Dame has only made 3 appearances in BCS games and lost all 3.
    ......and never belonged in a single one of them screwing some teams that should have gotten those bids who earned it. "Notre Dame travels well" is what I heard every year that they got those undeserved bids.

Let me preface this with "I'm not a ND fan".

But if Brian Kelly works the same mojo he worked at UC, I see ND returning to glory sometime very soon. If Kelly can pull a school like UC out of the weeds, he can do it anywhere.

ND will soon have lots of leverage. The Big 10 better strike in the very near future. The window will close here soon.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ......and never belonged in a single one of them screwing some teams that should have gotten those bids who earned it. "Notre Dame travels well" is what I heard every year that they got those undeserved bids.
    Its one of those things that shouldn't happen but it does. Teams that travel well get the big money bowl bids. Its why Iowa got a second BCS bowl bid. Its part of the reason why Boise St. gets at large selections. If teams like OSU, Alabama, ND, LSU, etc. are bowl eligible they will get the BCS bid because of $ and cents.

It has long been rumored that the Big East will eventually split along the football lines. The one interesting team is Vilanova, will they jump up to FBS or not. I do think the Big East works now, the basketball may be a super conference, but the good teams are succeeding and the bad teams aren't. It should be that way in every conference.

I'd love to see ND in the Big Ten but I don't see what they'd gain by joining. Geographically ND adds nothing to the Big Ten as they already control the Chicago area. I doubt Texas would want to move to the Big Ten. That leaves Missouri and Rutgers. My money is on Rutgers. The ratings on the east coast for the Big Ten Network and other things could really jump by adding a team in New Jersey. It also opens up a new area in recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd love to see ND in the Big Ten but I don't see what they'd gain by joining. Geographically ND adds nothing to the Big Ten as they already control the Chicago area. I doubt Texas would want to move to the Big Ten. That leaves Missouri and Rutgers. My money is on Rutgers. The ratings on the east coast for the Big Ten Network and other things could really jump by adding a team in New Jersey. It also opens up a new area in recruiting.
    ND is a national market thanks to NBC. I don't like the idea of going after Rutgers. Sure it may add a market but why add a bottom feeder to the Big 10?

I agree with Bucksfan, Notre Dame adds more of an east coast presence than Rutgers. Notre Dame would have a number of advantages joining. 1st, as I said, the Big 10 revenue split is right around what Notre Dame's contract with NBC pays them. Add Notre Dame to the pie and every east coast cable provider picks up the Big 10 network and they probably get an even larger chunk.
    In addition, it has to be cheaper for the non-revenue sports to compete in the Big 10 where they can bus almost everywhere as opposed to the Big East where they have to take a plane everywhere except maybe Marquette.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Next Year

Oh, one of my favorite topics and I missed out till now.

Anyway, I think the order of preference will be Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt (a distant third) with ND being a secret preference over the others. I think ND is going to have to show some interest for the Big 10 to come calling this time, as the conference doesn't want to be jilted again. If there's not talking between those two then Mizzou gets the offer and most likely accepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree with Bucksfan, Notre Dame adds more of an east coast presence than Rutgers. Notre Dame would have a number of advantages joining. 1st, as I said, the Big 10 revenue split is right around what Notre Dame's contract with NBC pays them. Add Notre Dame to the pie and every east coast cable provider picks up the Big 10 network and they probably get an even larger chunk.
    In addition, it has to be cheaper for the non-revenue sports to compete in the Big 10 where they can bus almost everywhere as opposed to the Big East where they have to take a plane everywhere except maybe Marquette.
    Are you sure about your numbers? I'll admit that I'm not privy to how much Big Ten schools make in football TV money but NBC pays ND $15mill/yr. I have my doubts that each Big Ten school gets that much.

The Notre Dame contract with NBC also runs through 2015.

It sounds like the Big Ten wants a team to come crawling. They don't want to give them their fair share of the Big Ten revenue pie and in fact they want this new school to pay for the honor of joining the conference.

"You just don't jump into the league and get a full share of what everyone else in this league has established over time," Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told The Associated Press. "I think someone has to buy their way into the league."

The Tribune reported that according to sources, a Big East school joining the Big Ten would have to pay $5 million as a "loyalty clause" fee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4959107
    I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like Notre Dame is a good fit. Why would they take that deal? That sounds more like a bottomfeeder (as someone else put it) like Rutgers or Missouri.

I believe the NBC contract pays ND $9M a year not $15M. Best case Notre Dame gets $4.5M for a bowl and last year of course got nothing and got $750,000 the year before.
    I read that the Big 10 schools between the Big 10 Network and ABC/ESPN and bowl games split about $17-22M last season.

Financially it makes sense for ND to join the Big 10.

Are you sure about your numbers? I'll admit that I'm not privy to how much Big Ten schools make in football TV money but NBC pays ND $15mill/yr. I have my doubts that each Big Ten school gets that much.

The Notre Dame contract with NBC also runs through 2015.

It sounds like the Big Ten wants a team to come crawling. They don't want to give them their fair share of the Big Ten revenue pie and in fact they want this new school to pay for the honor of joining the conference.

I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like Notre Dame is a good fit. Why would they take that deal? That sounds more like a bottomfeeder (as someone else put it) like Rutgers or Missouri.
    http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/...ork_makes.html

According to a recent Associated Press report, the Big Ten Network is now delivering $66 million annually to league coffers, netting an extra $4 million to each league member. By itself, that's an 18-percent jump in per-school payout.

Assuming Notre Dame joins, the rights for cable companies will go up even more. Companies like Cablevision in NYC would likely add it to the basic package and the Big Ten network probably gets better ad revenue then Ro-Tel Salsa.
    That's in addition to the $1 billion 10 year ESPN contract.

Crawling or not, the Big 10 splits the money evenly or at least it always has. I doubt any school would come without 1/12 of the revenue.

Found this from googling Big 10 revenue, don't know how accurate it is.
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...k-revenue.html

$197,760,000 Total Annual Subscriber Revenue (known data only)
    $100,857,600 Big 10 Share
    $__9,168,873 Per School Share
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Best case Notre Dame gets $4.5M for a bowl and last year of course got nothing and got $750,000 the year before.
    As previously indicated, Notre Dame gets $1.3 million from the BCS even if they don't play in a bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    As previously indicated, Notre Dame gets $1.3 million from the BCS even if they don't play in a bowl.
    That's great. Indiana and Northwestern got a little under $5M and they didn't play in the BCS either.

That's great. Indiana and Northwestern got a little under $5M and they didn't play in the BCS either.
    Not from the BCS deal they didn't. I was just refuting your claim that Notre Dame doesn't make anything if they miss a bowl. They still get a cut and it is larger than it would be as a conference member.

During the 2008-2009 season Notre Dame football generated $57M in revenue. By comparison, Wisconsin (same record, similar bowl) made $40M in revenue. Even comparing to Ohio St (BCS bowl, revenue machine, huge stadium) they were only $10M less which isn't much when you consider the disparity between the success of the two teams that season. The fact is, right now, Notre Dame is a revenue machine and doesn't have to worry about any conference ties. The only reason to switch would be if they anticipate smaller TV deals in the future.
    Last edited by joshnky; 03-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?