Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I find this all pretty exciting, the more upheaval I figure the more chance the BCS might die. I'd really like to see a college football playoff in my lifetime.
    If what you mean by the demise of the BCS is a playoff to decide a national championship, maybe. If you mean the BCS as an organization, no way. If anything, this may result in a complete break-off by the BCS conferences from the NCAA. I can see this happening within five years and I'd be surprised if the idea hasn't already been kicked around.

Edit: Sorry CE, I posted this before I read your post that said the exact same thing.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-20-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If I had to take two teams to the SEC, it would be Louisville and WVU.

SEC East:
    Kentucky
    West Virginia
    Florida
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

SEC West:
    Louisville
    Arkansas
    Alabama
    Auburn
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

Could also put Louisville in the SEC East and move Vandy to the SEC West.
    If the SEC is going to take two teams, its going to be Virginia Tech and another non-Carolina ACC school (think Georgia Tech or Miami). Edit: Agree with WMR, Clemson would also be a good fit.

The best chance for Louisville (and UC for that matter) to make it into another BCS conference is to look southwest to the Big 12. I just hope Louisville has enough empathy to insist on bringing UC with it.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-20-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Can somebody clarify what's driving all of this? I assume it simply about the big schools trying to maximize their revenue. Is there some other motive?
    It's the Big 10 building their brand and network empire. That's 90% of it. It's a land grab at the Big East's expense. I don't necessarily blame the Big 10 for wanting to be first to drive out the natives. If they don't, another conference will. After all, he who claims the biggest population centers claims the biggest pot of money.

It's a brave new world. 100 years of tradition be damned.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-20-2010 at 08:23 PM.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't see what the SEC has to gain by expanding. Has anyone read that they're looking to expand? 12 seems to be the sweet spot for conference size
    Its all speculation if the Big Ten decides to destroy the Big East. The conference could be severely decimated and the schools left would likely go to other conferences.

I have no problem expanding for basketball. That is why I like WVU and Louisville because they would improve the overall RPI for basketball (WVU also adds a good football team, but would be second tier in the SEC IMO). The one I never understood is Texas. Why add another powerhouse to an already loaded football conference?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If I were UC and the Big East does indeed go belly up, I'd talk to a few schools that are fairly close and underrated in one sport or another. How about:

Midwest North
    Dayton
    Butler
    Ohio
    Pitt
    DePaul
    Central Michigan
    St. Louis

Midwest South
    Xavier
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Memphis
    Nebraska
    Western Kentucky
    Middle Tennessee State

That's a quality slate of basketball teams, with perennial Top 25 teams in Pitt, Louisville, Memphis, and Xavier, not to mention solid programs like Butler, UC, WKU, MTSU, Ohio, and Dayton that have had good clubs fairly recently.

It also contains nine BCS football teams, all of which are strong-ish enough, aside from weak sister WKU. (Every conference needs a dormat, after all.) That should certainly be enough to get the BCS invite, as seven of the nine have been in a bowl game over the past two years.

Not only that, this new Midwest Conference would own most of the larger cities in the midwest, which should allow for a cable network or at least interest among cable companies. It hits the largest cities in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee (unless Nashville is larger?), Nebraska, Ohio, and Indiana.

The only difficult "get" would be Nebraska, IMO.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 04-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If I were UC and the Big East does indeed go belly up, I'd talk to a few schools that are fairly close and underrated in one sport or another. How about:

Midwest North
    Dayton
    Butler
    Ohio
    Pitt
    DePaul
    Central Michigan
    St. Louis

Midwest South
    Xavier
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Memphis
    Nebraska
    Western Kentucky
    Middle Tennessee State

That's a quality slate of basketball teams, with perennial Top 25 teams in Pitt, Louisville, Memphis, and Xavier, not to mention solid programs like Butler, UC, WKU, MTSU, Ohio, and Dayton that have had good clubs fairly recently.

It also contains nine BCS football teams, all of which are strong-ish enough, aside from weak sister WKU. (Every conference needs a dormat, after all.) That should certainly be enough to get the BCS invite.

Not only that, this new Midwest Conference would own most of the larger cities in the midwest, which should allow for a cable network or at least interest among cable companies. It hits the largest cities in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee (unless Nashville is larger?), Nebraska, Ohio, and Indiana.

The only difficult "get" would be Nebraska, IMO.
    I only count four BCS schools in there (MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA aren't BCS). And if the Big 10 does pillage the Big East, Pitt will be one of the teams grabbed by the big hand in the sky.

Sorry, mis-spoke. It contains nine football squads that are Division I.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    MTSU is technically part of the Nashville market, as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    MTSU is technically part of the Nashville market, as well.
    And Murfreesboro is really fun to pronounce. So it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    And Murfreesboro is really fun to pronounce. So it's got that going for it, which is nice.
    Natives call it "Murfees-burr." That makes it easier.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Can somebody clarify what's driving all of this? I assume it simply about the big schools trying to maximize their revenue. Is there some other motive?
    Pretty much all about money.

Financial analysis

Regarding Cincinnati and Louisville, I think the most likely destination for them would be the ACC, especially if the SEC decides to poach a couple of their teams. The ACC already stretches up to Boston and adding two team on the KY border wouldn't necessarily increase travel times already existing.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    Pretty much all about money.

Financial analysis
    Theres a bit in this that says the Big 10 may actually go to 16 teams?!?!?! Wow.

Givens (IMO) in this scenario:
    They have Nebraska already agreed.
    Notre Dame Blinks
    Syracuse/Rutgers (which ever "delivers" NYC)
    Two of Pitt, Texas, Missouri, UConn
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Theres a bit in this that says the Big 10 may actually go to 16 teams?!?!?! Wow.
    If you believe all the rumors out there at the moment, it seems a 5 team expansion is a bit more likely then a 3 team expansion.

Missouri, Nebraska, ND, Rutgers, Pitt is my guess, but we'll know soon enough.

The fact that all this came together so quickly and smoothly tells me that expansion will result in a significant and incontrovertible revenue increase for the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    If you believe all the rumors out there at the moment, it seems a 5 team expansion is a bit more likely then a 3 team expansion.

Missouri, Nebraska, ND, Rutgers, Pitt is my guess, but we'll know soon enough.

The fact that all this came together so quickly and smoothly tells me that expansion will result in a significant and incontrovertible revenue increase for the conference.
    I just hope the SEC and ACC follow suit to go to at least 14 teams. Only way WVU survives financially in the athletic department is by getting in to either one. IMO SEC would be a better demographic fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Turn Off Ads?