Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's only 7 games if my IU math is correct. So it would still leave space for a protected game.
    Three from your division, four from other division, one rivalry game(or additional conference game for those who don't have to protect a game.)

That would actually work pretty well.
    I'm not in love with the idea of going to 16 teams, but if they do I actually do like this system. By rotating the pods you make sure you don't have a really long lay off against any team in your division.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Being reported as a done deal:

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-fo...-join-big-ten/

WNDU.com in South Bend, Ind. is reporting that Missouri will leave the Big 12 conference, and be the first of five schools to join the Big Ten.

Other schools expected to follow, according to the report, were Nebraska, Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Going to be interesting to see what happens to Notre Dame. They haven't really been relevant in 15 years. A whole generation has grown up with them as a footnote. When NBC finally pulls the plug...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm surprised the Big 10 was willing to take on some of these schools academically. I suppose it started going down that road with Penn State, but still... the CIC just got a whole lot bigger. Time to lay/buy a bunch more fiber...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Irish could hop into the Big East in football and with a few other schools keep the conference from crumbling
    Go Gators!

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm surprised the Big 10 was willing to take on some of these schools academically. I suppose it started going down that road with Penn State, but still... the CIC just got a whole lot bigger. Time to lay/buy a bunch more fiber...
    All these schools meet the minimum academic requirements of the Big Ten, though admittedly not all of them are spectacular.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Sadly, this is probably the beginning of the end for Cincinnati football on the national stage.

As for ND -- not sure why they'd ever join the leftovers from the Big East. It'd be a conference on life support, even with the addition of Notre Dame, and certainly not in a position to make them any money.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 05-01-2010 at 02:23 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Sadly, this is probably the beginning of the end for Cincinnati football on the national stage.

As for ND -- not sure why they'd ever join the leftovers from the Big East. It'd be a conference on life support, even with the addition of Notre Dame, and certainly not in a position to make them any money.
    ND still needs a conference for their other sports, propping the Big East up in football, with certain perks thrown in for them that others teams don't get, might be to their benefit.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I went to both schools so I have no hatred either way. I was raised a Buckeye fan though. Makes those bUCkeye state shirts look dumber than they already were.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    ND still needs a conference for their other sports, propping the Big East up in football, with certain perks thrown in for them that others teams don't get, might be to their benefit.
    If the Big East doesn't survive in football, The eight catholic basketball schools will form some kind of league. ND will likely join with them and remain independent in football.

ND is turning down big bucks from Big Ten because it values it's independence so highly. It's not going to turn around and give that up just to ride to the Big East's rescue. It just doesn't make sense.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I wanted an expansion that demonstrated outside-the-box thinking. One that would really rattle the foundations of the revenue-generating sports in Division 1 and the BCS.

Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse? Yuck... and I'm both an Ohio State and Syracuse alum.

I really wanted Rutgers and I'm OK with Pitt and Syracuse. But I was hoping they'd lure Texas out of the Big 12. Nebraska's not a good get at all in terms of TV market. Mizzou fits geographically and the St. Louis market will be among the largest in the conference, but the program just doesn't impress me as a competitor.

IMO, the biggest problem with settling for these schools is the opportunity cost. If Notre Dame or Texas decide to make a move later, there won't be room for them in the Big 10. If the conference decides to go to 20 or 24 some day, those dream schools may be less inclined to share a conference with so many schools from small TV markets.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    If the Big East doesn't survive in football, The eight catholic basketball schools will form some kind of league. ND will likely join with them and remain independent in football.

ND is turning down big bucks from Big Ten because it values it's independence so highly. It's not going to turn around and give that up just to ride to the Big East's rescue. It just doesn't make sense.
    Oh I know it won't happen but what if they could join the Big East in name only, maintain their own TV contract and of course take the conferences BCS bid pretty much every year with a few key wins?

I wonder if some Big 10 schools that schedule ND will be forced to drop them if the Gigantic 16 goes to a larger conference schedule.
    Go Gators!

Attack Cat!

I wonder if some Big 10 schools that schedule ND will be forced to drop them if the Gigantic 16 goes to a larger conference schedule.
    It's a good question, I kinda wonder the same thing. It seems doubtful, but stranger things have happened.

Oh I know it won't happen but what if they could join the Big East in name only, maintain their own TV contract and of course take the conferences BCS bid pretty much every year with a few key wins?

It could hurt ND more than it hurts the Big 10 schools. And you assume that if the Big 10, and after that the SEC and ACC, go poaching Big East teams that the Big East will continue to exist.

I personally think it would be smarter for the Big 10 to have a phased in expansion, adding a couple teams now and then waiting a few years so that teams like ND and Texas can see how the chips are falling. Then maybe the Big 10 picks up ND, Texas and maybe Oklahoma instead of Mizzou and Nebraska.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I wanted an expansion that demonstrated outside-the-box thinking. One that would really rattle the foundations of the revenue-generating sports in Division 1 and the BCS.

Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse? Yuck... and I'm both an Ohio State and Syracuse alum.

I really wanted Rutgers and I'm OK with Pitt and Syracuse. But I was hoping they'd lure Texas out of the Big 12. Nebraska's not a good get at all in terms of TV market. Mizzou fits geographically and the St. Louis market will be among the largest in the conference, but the program just doesn't impress me as a competitor.

IMO, the biggest problem with settling for these schools is the opportunity cost. If Notre Dame or Texas decide to make a move later, there won't be room for them in the Big 10. If the conference decides to go to 20 or 24 some day, those dream schools may be less inclined to share a conference with so many schools from small TV markets.
    This is how I feel as well. I don't really get too excited about any of the additional teams. I do think with the projected 5 teams the Big 10 will now become the premier basketball conference hands down. Stealing Syracuse and Pitt from the Big East is a big get for basketball. As for football, Nebraska and Missouri are both intriguing but they haven't really been consistent national powers lately.

I really hope the Big 10 breaks into 4 divisions and has a mini tournament at the end of the football season - 2 semi final games between division winners and then a Championship game. That could be some fun football to watch in late November.

I could envision a setup something like:

East:
    Penn State
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    Rutgers

North:
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Purdue

Central: