Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

The only way I see the Big Ten expanding further is if they get Notre Dame

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The only way I see the Big Ten expanding further is if they get Notre Dame
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Notre Dame doesn't look like they are going to join a conference anytime soon. If the SEC expands or the PAC 10 expands more, The Big T(welv)en may believe they have to expand to keep up with the Joneses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Notre Dame doesn't look like they are going to join a conference anytime soon. If the SEC expands or the PAC 10 expands more, The Big T(welv)en may believe they have to expand to keep up with the Joneses.
    The Big East schools add nothing to the pie. There is a case that could be made for something along the lines of Maryland/Virginia. But Virginia has a Tech problem. Plus how long did the Big T(welv)en sit there at 11?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I don't see the SEC or PAC ten going past 12 teams but the other reason the Big Ten won't expand sans ND is because they need to keep the door open when ND is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The Big East schools add nothing to the pie. There is a case that could be made for something along the lines of Maryland/Virginia. But Virginia has a Tech problem. Plus how long did the Big T(welv)en sit there at 11?
    There's always Texas and Missouri. Sounds like Pitt was a finalist. If Texas goes, Oklahoma or A&M may follow. Maybe it'd be someone like B.C. who is no stranger to conference hopping. Nothing is safe. Everything is up for grabs.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

There's always Texas and Missouri. Sounds like Pitt was a finalist. If Texas goes, Oklahoma or A&M may follow. Maybe it'd be someone like B.C. who is no stranger to conference hopping. Nothing is safe. Everything is up for grabs.
    BC is why I believe that the ACC is in no position to expand. If my gut is right the Big 10 could really decimate the ACC with Maryland, BC, and Virginia. The ACC becomes the Carolina/Florida league that couldnt live up to the promises the first time.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

A friend of mine brought up Rutgers as a possibility. Apparantly for about 90 years, The State University of NJ tried to brand itself as sort of an IVY light school where academics were most important and not much money or time or energy was spent on athletics.

In the past 10-15 years though they've expanded the athletics quite a bit and if they were to join the Big 10+2+more, it would allow them to springboard to even more success.

That's an awfully big risk to take for me though.

If I was the Big 10 and then some, I'd think Maryland, and one more school from the Big 12 North like Kansas maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

BC is why I believe that the ACC is in no position to expand. If my gut is right the Big 10 could really decimate the ACC with Maryland, BC, and Virginia. The ACC becomes the Carolina/Florida league that couldnt live up to the promises the first time.
    Then the Big East would likely take/merge with what's left, finally becoming a respectable conference.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Maryland, BC and Virginia? Why? That's addition by subtraction for the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Maryland, BC and Virginia? Why? That's addition by subtraction for the ACC.
    TVs, TVs, TVs. Also at least Maryland and Virginia would allow the B10 to say that it wasnt all about sports (I know both of them are AAU members) and add more to the $ table than Rutgers, Syracuse, and UConn would. I only included BC because they are not happy at all being an island amongst themselves meanwhile all the power resides in the south. Swofford failed to get the money for the ACC the last time. The ACC would be left in a position that would be more precarious than even the Big East or maybe even the Big 12 is in. All it would take would be for the SEC to even sniff around Miami, GA Tech, and or FSU to send the rest of them running. Without the Florida schools the ACC turns into a regional football conference with every member competing for the same tv markets (much like the SWC became before it disbanded).

William Arthur Ward

Sure, losing the Florida schools kills the ACC. But the Florida schools are going to do whatever they want regardless of whether UVA, Maryland and BC leave. The Florida schools probably prefer the league without those three.

BC only adds TVs if they bring the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Sure, losing the Florida schools kills the ACC. But the Florida schools are going to do whatever they want regardless of whether UVA, Maryland and BC leave. The Florida schools probably prefer the league without those three.

BC only adds TVs if they bring the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics with them.
    To which I respond who would have thought that NEBRASKA was almost the one to "kill" the Big 12 by leaving? Sometimes it just takes a bit of unease to get the dominoes falling. And I agree about BC I only included them to show the "cracks".

Another reason I would add ECU to the equation of the Big East. You use Mizzou, TCU, Memphis, etc to bring more possibilities for TVs, you bring ECU to be a thumb in the eye to the ACC and further dilute the market. ECU has the potential to be a solid regional team. Now instead of it being divided 6 ways within the conference you divide it 7 ways.
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-30-2010 at 02:19 PM.

William Arthur Ward

Nebraska is one of the most storied program's in the history of college football with quite possibly the most passionate fanbase in the sport. I'm not sure why it's a surprise that their leaving would cause quite a bit of turmoil.

I really don't see peeling away UVA, Maryland and BC as exposing cracks in the ACC. It would be more like plastering over those cracks IMO.

The only way I see the Big 10 expanding further at this point is if one of the two "big prizes" show up at their doorstep, ND or Texas.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The only way I see the Big 10 expanding further at this point is if one of the two "big prizes" show up at their doorstep, ND or Texas.
    It might be a self-serving prophecy, as those teams do something that allow the Big Ten to expand. After all, Notre Dame won't likely sit tight too much longer as the conference numbers dwindle and the sizes increase. And the Big 12 is on a very tentative short term fix that didn't solve many of their distribution problems.

But beyond the fact the Big Ten could land one or both in the future, there are benefits to be had without either. Notre Dame makes a ton of sense, and no question the Big Ten would be better with both. But ignoring them for a moment, a 16-team model that adds Rutgers, Syracuse and Maryland or Syracuse, Maryland, Missouri, etc. would add a ton of new markets to the Big Ten Network, and create millions of additional revenue in subscriber fees. The Big Ten has already concluded it's worth the money and has said so in so many words. But they also don't want to be seen as creating the firestorm in the college landscape as to creating megaconferences. And they want to get Notre Dame so they'll do things somewhat on their terms.

I've heard the two sides are continuing to engage in informal talks even still. I have a feeling the quiet period is all about taking the steps necessary to get Notre Dame. Either way, I'll be surprised if another Big Ten expansion doesn't begin in the next year or two.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?