Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Don't bag on Iowa State so much. They are an outstanding research institution. Yes they would be a bottom feeder in some sports. But their facilities are good, and when they have had the coaches they win. The currently have the best Wrestling program in the Big 12.

Also keep in mind that all the current members of the Big Ten are members of the Association of American Universities. Which is a prestigious group of 60 research universities.
    http://www.aau.edu/

The new member would likely have to come from that group.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I could see Georgia Tech possibly given the overall sports package and the Atlanta media market. The one I would like to see get a look is Memphis. I would be worried with football, but the basketball possibilities are endless. The rivalry with Tennessee would be intensified and it would also create an edge with Kentucky as well. Makes even better sense geographically since Memphis is in the western part of the state and would fit into the SEC West. That and a Memphis media market and a possible NBA arena for the SEC tournament in a centralized location.
    Memphis was in the SEC tourney rotation as recently as 1997. An Georgia Tech was in the SEC as recently as the early 60s. I doubt we would see either again anytime soon. Of course, it is a moot point because no one from the SEC is going anywhere.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm guessing one of the Big East teams would need a serious reason to move and the Big Ten might not have that much pull. I'm guessing they focus on an A-10 team like Temple. But Miami (OH) sure would be interesting.
    A couple years ago, as Miami was doing some facilities upgrades, I was hearing some Big 10 talk in Oxford from some folks "in the know." But that seems like a pipe dream at best. They would still have to spend a boatload of money on personnel and facilities. They need a new arena desperately.

Come on dabvu! You don't think a poorly lit mausoleum with terrible vantage points for spectators would fit into the Big East. I bet none of their arenas have a beautiful black curtain like Millett Hall!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Come on dabvu! You don't think a poorly lit mausoleum with terrible vantage points for spectators would fit into the Big East. I bet none of their arenas have a beautiful black curtain like Millett Hall!
    I go to 6-8 games over there just about every year and that dump almost never fails to let me down. At least they did upgrade the audio/PA systems so they don't have to play pregame music on those big speakers on the floor anymore. Less than 1500 over there the other night for the Temple game was depressing.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    This is kinda interesting...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...xpansion-texas

No way this would ever happen, but this is the only team that I heard mentioned that I got excited about.
    That would be loads of fun for us displaced Big Ten fans living in the Lone Star state. But I imagine that having every team travel by air to every one of its league road games would put a big dent in that budget surplus in Austin.
    /r/reds

Saw this in Stewart Mandel's article today. Tell me what universities, especially a school like Pitt, UC, and Missouri, would pass up a payday like this.

The Big Ten does not publicly release revenue-sharing figures, but it's been reported that its rights deals with ABC/ESPN and the Big Ten Network generate about $212 million annually. (That's in addition to the league's direct profits from its jointly owned network.) Add in this season's two BCS berths ($22.3 million) and five other bowl berths (about $14 million), and we're talking a minimally estimated $248.3 million in shared revenue, or $22.6 million per team.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    Also, to add to my previous thought, it would be a shame for IU and Purdue to be in separate divisions as it is the conference's premier basketball rivalry (yes, I'll admit to being a Purdue fan).
    The divisions are intended to set up a football championship game, but there's nothing that says they have to be used across the board. The ACC and Big 12 don't have divisions for basketball.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The divisions are intended to set up a football championship game, but there's nothing that says they have to be used across the board. The ACC and Big 12 don't have divisions for basketball.
    Gotcha. That makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Don't bag on Iowa State so much. They are an outstanding research institution. Yes they would be a bottom feeder in some sports. But their facilities are good, and when they have had the coaches they win. The currently have the best Wrestling program in the Big 12.

Also keep in mind that all the current members of the Big Ten are members of the Association of American Universities. Which is a prestigious group of 60 research universities.
    http://www.aau.edu/

The new member would likely have to come from that group.

Iowa St. does some things very, very well. Their fans are very enthusiastic. But, as I said, I think the U of Iowa would veto it - if they can blackball them - plus no medical or law school. I just don't think it's a good match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Iowa St. does some things very, very well. Their fans are very enthusiastic. But, as I said, I think the U of Iowa would veto it - if they can blackball them - plus no medical or law school. I just don't think it's a good match.
    Why would Iowa have anymore pull to do that than, Ohio State over Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (Ohio State and Pitt have overlapping local recruiting areas), or Purdue and Indiana over Notre Dame?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Why would Iowa have anymore pull to do that than, Ohio State over Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (Ohio State and Pitt have overlapping local recruiting areas), or Purdue and Indiana over Notre Dame?

The vote might have to be unanimous, I don't know. JoePa's OK with Pitt so Penn St. might be OK with it too and if anyone else doesn't object. tOSu might not want UC.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The vote might have to be unanimous, I don't know. JoePa's OK with Pitt so Penn St. might be OK with it too and if anyone else doesn't object. tOSu might not want UC.
    I don't think OSU would throw that big of a fit if UC joined the Big 10. I don't want to start a debate, but until UC steals a big time prospect from OSU I don't worry about UC. UC just can't compete with the athletic department and facilities that OSU has.

I think UC would have some obstacles to overcome in order to join the Big Ten. The first would be facilities. They are improving that but I don't think Nippert would cut it. It would have to be a 45K+ seat stadium. They also are located in a metro area, cant really say that about the other schools. OSU is close to Columbus, but it has so much land that it really doesn't matter.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think UC would have some obstacles to overcome in order to join the Big Ten. The first would be facilities. They are improving that but I don't think Nippert would cut it. It would have to be a 45K+ seat stadium. They also are located in a metro area, cant really say that about the other schools. OSU is close to Columbus, but it has so much land that it really doesn't matter.
    Everything you said about UC is also true of Pitt. The only difference is that Pitt plays their games at the NFL facility whereas UC does not -- and that's something UC could choose do at any time if the situation was right.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think OSU would throw that big of a fit if UC joined the Big 10. I don't want to start a debate, but until UC steals a big time prospect from OSU I don't worry about UC. UC just can't compete with the athletic department and facilities that OSU has. I think UC would have some obstacles to overcome in order to join the Big Ten. The first would be facilities. They are improving that but I don't think Nippert would cut it. It would have to be a 45K+ seat stadium. They also are located in a metro area, cant really say that about the other schools. OSU is close to Columbus, but it has so much land that it really doesn't matter.
    Did Minnesota move outside of the Twin Cities or Northwestern out of Chicago recently? I missed that one.

Turn Off Ads?