Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Re: Big 10 looks for 12th team

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Mizzou to the Big 10. TCU to the Big 12. Boise State to the MWC.

This makes sense for all the teams and conferences involved and not just geographically. Mizzou fits the Big 10 persona. TCU rejoins some of its former Southwest Conference counterparts and Boise State escapes the WAC. Maybe most importantly, it avoids much of the residual impact that the ACC caused a few years ago.
    Not a bad idea. I think that the Big 12 would love to exchange Mizzou for TCU.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Missouri is a fine team to add to the Bi 10, but it doesn't exactly scream "Big Time" does it? At best, Mizzou is a middle of the pack football and basketball team, with occasional years of slightly more than that.

If the Big 10 wants to be among the uber-conferences in the next 50 years, they'll need a far bigger splash than the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Missouri is a fine team to add to the Bi 10, but it doesn't exactly scream "Big Time" does it? At best, Mizzou is a middle of the pack football and basketball team, with occasional years of slightly more than that.

If the Big 10 wants to be among the uber-conferences in the next 50 years, they'll need a far bigger splash than the Tigers.

It's like the lady said about her husband, "Better than nothing."

The only problem with Mizzou is they aren't east enough for teams like tOSU and PSU. Right now, only 4 out of 11 Big 10 teams are in the Eastern Time zone. I think they might want a little more balance there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Not a bad idea. I think that the Big 12 would love to exchange Mizzou for TCU.
    I think TCU is in the same boat as Houston. Good in a midmajor conference (C-USA could pretty much be viewed in that category), but would get demolished playing in the Big 12.

Arkansas would be a logical choice, but as has been mentioned numerous times, they are locked in with the SEC until the ESPN deal expires.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think TCU is in the same boat as Houston. Good in a midmajor conference (C-USA could pretty much be viewed in that category), but would get demolished playing in the Big 12.

Arkansas would be a logical choice, but as has been mentioned numerous times, they are locked in with the SEC until the ESPN deal expires.
    Houston beat both Oklahoma State and Texas Tech this season.

I'm not sure Missouri would be regarded an academic equal by many of the Big 10 schools. Not in the way ND, for instance, would be.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm not sure Missouri would be regarded an academic equal by many of the Big 10 schools. Not in the way ND, for instance, would be.
    I think that's why Texas gets mentioned as a possibility because they are a top notch school academically.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Sorry, but the best wrestling program in the Big 12 is Oklahoma State.
    Does Oklahoma State have the last three Big 12 Championships? Just Checking.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Does Oklahoma State have the last three Big 12 Championships? Just Checking.
    Fair point, but before those last three conference championships who won the previous 4 national championships? Who's got more national championships period? Having said that, I mean no disrespect to the ISU wrestling program. There's 4 truly great collegiate wrestling programs out there, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa, and Iowa State. I respect the hell out of the Hawkeye wrestling program.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

With the exception of ND Missouri makes the most sense. Geographically it doesn't effect travel. They aren't an up and coming program, rather an established program, just 2 removed from playing in the Big 12 title game with a chance to go to the BCS title game.

An uber-splash would be great. Notre Dame would make the most sense all around but they have the NBC contract and look at everything through green colored glasses. Texas is a fun idea but logistically difficult. Think of women's soccer or mens lacrosse or women's gymnastics from an OSU or PSU or UM. They no longer would be able to take a bus to most conference games, they would have to fly to Texas. No big deal but it all adds up, especially with AD's as large as some in the Big 10.

Sorry if this has already been answered. Is the plan to split the conference into divisions of 6 and 6 and play, in football, a championship game? That could make scheduling more constricted for everybody in the conference, including Purdue, MSU, and UM, all of whom play ND every year. If I were ND, I'd be a bit afraid of getting locked out of this thing from the scheduling standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's like the lady said about her husband, "Better than nothing."

The only problem with Mizzou is they aren't east enough for teams like tOSU and PSU. Right now, only 4 out of 11 Big 10 teams are in the Eastern Time zone. I think they might want a little more balance there.
    6 teams are in the Eastern Time Zone now that Indiana's gotten on the daylight savings ball.

tOSU
    tPSU
    tMSU
    Michigan
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    6 teams are in the Eastern Time Zone now that Indiana's gotten on the daylight savings ball.

tOSU
    tPSU
    tMSU
    Michigan
    Indiana
    Purdue

Oops. Forgot the Michigan teams.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Sorry if this has already been answered. Is the plan to split the conference into divisions of 6 and 6 and play, in football, a championship game? That could make scheduling more constricted for everybody in the conference, including Purdue, MSU, and UM, all of whom play ND every year. If I were ND, I'd be a bit afraid of getting locked out of this thing from the scheduling standpoint.
    It shouldn't affect scheduling at all. They'd still play eight conference games a year. You'd play the other five teams in your division each year, and three teams in the other division, rotating those every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    It shouldn't affect scheduling at all. They'd still play eight conference games a year. You'd play the other five teams in your division each year, and three teams in the other division, rotating those every other year.
    Is there going to be any provision, like there is in the SEC, for playing historical rivals? That could complicate things. Also, I wonder if teams will soften non-conference schedules if they think they may have to play that 9th game in the championship?

Turn Off Ads?