Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: who's in left?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

who's in left?

In 2009 LF was mostly manned by Gomes & Nix. Both are gone.

In house candidates:
    Dickerson (L)
    Balentien
    Heisey
    Francisco (L)
    Frazier
    Dorn(L)

Personally I only want Dickerson in LF if its for late inning defense or if the usual left fielder is hurt. If he can't start in CF then he is a bench player.

I known Balentien did ok last year & has some supporters here. For me he is a dark horse starter candidate.

Heisey is supposedly pencilled in as #1 on the depth chart. Didn't exactly tear up AAA.

Francisco & Frazier are both felt to need more time in AAA.

Dorn would be a super dark horse candidate.

Plan #1: go to spring training with the candidates above & see who wins the job

Plan #2: get a big stud left fielder via free agency. not gonna happen

Plan #3: sign Nix, Ryan Church or some other cheap left handed vet as a backup plan in case Hesiey, Francisco & Frazier start in AAA. Platoon Balentien with the new guy until one of the 3 prospects is ready.

Plan #4: ???

Re: who's in left?

Wasn't this the big question last off season?

As much as I disagree with the teams decision on Gomes they did do a nice job of proving many of us wrong by replacing Dunns production with what was basically junk from the top of the scrap heap last year.If the FO had done a better job of filling the CF position last off season I'd probably have a little more faith that they will be able to once again surprise most of us and fill the LF position this year with something decent.

My guess is Heisey and Fransico will both get a good shot unless someone comparable to what Nix or Gomes was last year is brought in.

I hate the fact that this Taveras guy remains a part of the team and that I have even herd suggestions that last years poor performance was more then likely due to some nagging injuries.Not that he will get any time in LF but him getting time in CF could effect what happens here.

All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd re-sign Nix, and semi-platoon him with Heisey. I'd consider trading Balentein to Pittsburgh for Ronny Cedeno. And of course I'd platoon Stubbs and Dickerson in CF and play Bruce in RF.

Right at this moment it's Dickerson, Stubbs, Bruce, Balentein and Taveras out there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

Right at this moment it's Dickerson, Stubbs, Bruce, Balentein and Taveras out there.

I agree. If spring training started tomorrow, the expected outfield would be Bruce in RF, Stubbs in CF, Dickerson/Balentien platoon in LF. Taveras would be fifth outfielder.

Heisey, Francisco or Dorn would be rookie outsiders looking in. If somebody falters or is injured, one of them would probably get a spot.

If the Reds find a taker for Taveras, then a spot will open up. It will go to Heisey, Francisco, or Dorn. Or it will go to a journeyman outfielder picked up off the inexpensive free agent/non-tender list.

That is the outfield story unless the Reds do something unusual like acquiring a starting LF or moving Votto to left.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree. If spring training started tomorrow, the expected outfield would be Bruce in RF, Stubbs in CF, Dickerson/Balentien platoon in LF. Taveras would be fifth outfielder.

Heisey and Francisco would be rookie outsiders looking in. If somebody falters or is injured, one of them would probably get a spot.

If the Reds find a taker for Taveras, then a spot will open up. It will go to Heisey or Francisco. Or it will go to a journeyman outfielder picked up off the inexpensive free agent/non-tender list.

That is the outfield story unless the Reds do something unusual like acquiring a starting LF or moving Votto to left.
    Or Francisco could make the team with his ability to play 3B and 1B while being added to the OF mix. His IF experience would allow the Reds to drop either Rosales or Sutton to AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Or Francisco could make the team with his ability to play 3B and 1B while being added to the OF mix. His IF experience would allow the Reds to drop either Rosales or Sutton to AAA.
    Yes, and Sutton himself plays some outfield. I was talking about the primary outfielders, the guys listed as outfielders on the Roster. Right now, it's the list of five guys from Mario-Rijo's post.

My guess is that there will be player moves to change the mix, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Balentien and Taveras open spring training.

Effectively, Balentien would take over Gomes' spot.

I think there is a chance that we could see a platoon of Stubbs and Tevaras in center with Tevaras getting the bulk of the early playing time and a platoon of Stubbs, Dickerson and Balentien in LF.

MTH, KC, do you have any thoughts like I do that we might not see Bruce in right field at times against left handed pitching and that they might slide one of the other fleet of foot in the RF corner against left handed starters?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Francisco may have no problem playing 1st but before he's counted as a backup 1st baseman it might be a good idea to get him some experience at 1st.

Dickerson and Stubbs should be able to get you at least a .375 OBP at the top of the lineup in CF if you truly platoon them. They both play great defense as well, so if Dusty manages them right CF should be strong.

This team needs Jay Bruce to bust this year. If he preforms anywhere near potential, then LF doesn't become as near of a big of a deal. If Jay preforms, CF, RF, 1B, 2B, and 3B all should be above average to better.

I really doubt we bring Nix back if we didn't bring Gomes back. It would make absolutely no sense to me at all. Gomes was the better half of the platoon, and Nix kind of went down the crapper after the first couple months.

Ideally, I'd like to see Frazier at 2B with Phillips at SS to start the season, but I've long given up on that dream. Besides, I think both he and Francisco start the year in the minors as it is.

That leaves Balentin and Heisey. IF Heisey pans out, he would seem perfect to slide into the 2 spot behind Dickerson/Stubbs and before Votto. Good contact and on base guy. As mentioned before, he didn't exactly prove he could hit AAA pitching well yet. Balentin was actually decent in 100+ ABs last year, but he showed a better eye and less run production than you would expect. I think you'll see less power and more OB from Stubbs and more power and less OB from Balentin.

To me, ideally Heisey comes out in spring and wins the job because he slots well into the lineup and is an all-around hitter.

Dickerson/Stubbs
    Heisey
    Votto
    Rolen/Phillips
    Bruce
    Phillips/Rolen

wouldn't be a bad top 6. Still desperatley need a SS, but for some crazy reason I doubt that happens. The last thing I want to see is Taveras in CF and Stubbs/Dickerson in LF, or really Taveras in the lineup at all.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Dickerson and Stubbs should be able to get you at least a .375 OBP at the top of the lineup in CF if you truly platoon them. They both play great defense as well, so if Dusty manages them right CF should be strong.

This team needs Jay Bruce to bust this year. If he preforms anywhere near potential, then LF doesn't become as near of a big of a deal. If Jay preforms, CF, RF, 1B, 2B, and 3B all should be above average to better.

I really doubt we bring Nix back if we didn't bring Gomes back. It would make absolutely no sense to me at all. Gomes was the better half of the platoon, and Nix kind of went down the crapper after the first couple months.

Ideally, I'd like to see Frazier at 2B with Phillips at SS to start the season, but I've long given up on that dream. Besides, I think both he and Francisco start the year in the minors as it is.

That leaves Balentin and Heisey. IF Heisey pans out, he would seem perfect to slide into the 2 spot behind Dickerson/Stubbs and before Votto. Good contact and on base guy. As mentioned before, he didn't exactly prove he could hit AAA pitching well yet. Balentin was actually decent in 100+ ABs last year, but he showed a better eye and less run production than you would expect. I think you'll see less power and more OB from Stubbs and more power and less OB from Balentin.

To me, ideally Heisey comes out in spring and wins the job because he slots well into the lineup and is an all-around hitter.

Dickerson/Stubbs
    Heisey
    Votto
    Rolen/Phillips
    Bruce
    Phillips/Rolen

wouldn't be a bad top 6. Still desperatley need a SS, but for some crazy reason I doubt that happens. The last thing I want to see is Taveras in CF and Stubbs/Dickerson in LF, or really Taveras in the lineup at all.
    Against LHP it would rake. Against RHP its a line-up full of crud. Lead-off would be OK and the 3 spot would be strong. The clean-up guy would provide power, it remains to be seen how consistently or whether he could get on base enough. Rolen will probably get on base about 34% of the time with little power and Philips and Heiesy would be likely to be sub-700 OPS guys against RH pitching.

Except Nix also had some pretty good power last year (26 doubles in a little more than 300 abs), is better defensively than Gomes, and would be cheaper than Gomes as well. I'm not saying that's he's all that but to say goodbye to both Nix and Gomes is something I just don't understand.

Heisey or maybe Ryan Church. Ryan Garko is also a possibility.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

That's why Bruce is so important.

Dickerson has a career .845 OPS against RHP, that's better than ok.
    Votto's career OPS vs. RPH is .946, we all know he is good.
    Bruce's OPS for his career against RHP is .848, which actually isn't too bad to begin with.

The 2 and 4 spots would definatley be concerns, but with those 3 guys I wouldn't say the lineup is full of crud.

That's why Bruce is so important.

Dickerson has a career .845 OPS against RHP, that's better than ok.
    Votto's career OPS vs. RPH is .946, we all know he is good.
    Bruce's OPS for his career against RHP is .848, which actually isn't too bad to begin with.

The 2 and 4 spots would definatley be concerns, but with those 3 guys I wouldn't say the lineup is full of crud.
    Dickerson's career OPS is fueled by his 2008 hot debut. Exactly why I don't use career stats. He's probably good for .785 against RHP and sub .600 vs. LHP.

Votto is a stud. No argument there.

Bruce needs to get on base and hit with power more consistently. With no threats behind him and spotty track record of plate disciplne (less than a 10% walk rate as a minor leaguer), I'm not convinced that we've seen the last of the overanxious, reaching, pop-up hitting lazy fly ball machine.

People talk about the future and that is the exact reason Gomes should have been retained. Heisey, Francisco, Frazier, Cozart and Alonso all need more time in AAA and Bruce in particular needs a real threat to cover his back in the line-up. The reason to keep Gomes for one season is because of the youth movement, not instead of it.

Turn Off Ads?