The snooze fuse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: who's in left?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You just lit the fuse.
    This topic will be worth reading now
    Go Gators!

With Gomes reportedly going to be re signed soon the question of who plays LF is interesting.

Here's the way I look at our outfield.
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs inside track to be in CF
    Dickerson 4th outfielder. possibly platoon in CF.
    Gomes in LF vs LHP.
    Gomes or Nix or Balentien or Dickerson in LF vs RHP
    AAA Heisey in CF
    AAA Francisco in LF
    DFAed Willy T

we have a mix of decent guys in LF but really don't have a monster bat to play LF vs RHP.

Gomes in his career has really been a platoon LF/DH bat. He hit RHP well last year but can he do it agai?.

Balentien hit RHP better than LHP in 2008 & 2009. odd since he is a RH batter.
    If he doesn't make the team he will have to go through waivers to be sent to AAA so I suspect he'll be our 5th outfielder.

Nix is a decent 5th outfielder. i would like a better bat in LF vs RHP on a regular basis. since he signed a minor league deal I suspect he'll be in AAA.

as for Dickerson i like him in CF vs RHP but not in LF (with Stubbs in CF). seems like we need more cowbell from LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    as for Dickerson i like him in CF vs RHP but not in LF (with Stubbs in CF). seems like we need more cowbell from LF.
    Not sure what cowbell is, but I think this sounds like something I agree with.

IMO, Gomes should be given the shot to start in LF every day. He was the best hitter against both LHP and RHP of all the candidates last year. Its not perfect and he historically has some struggles vs. RHP, but the Reds have numbers behind him and he should get the shot while others are cooking in AAA. Nix and Dickerson shouldn't be seriiously considered. Nix can't get on base and Dickerson evidently doesn't have enough "cowbell" (or bat) for LF. Wlad is a dark horse and the most interesting of the non-Gomes guys, but he's out of options and the Reds just may cut him loose. I like Dorn as a platoon mate if Gomes revert to a Lefty only masher, but I don't see the Reds giving him a real chance at that job. Give Gomes three months and if he's not cutting it, Francisco may be ready for a chance against RHP if not Dorn.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure what cowbell is, but I think this sounds like something I agree with.

IMO, Gomes should be given the shot to start in LF every day. He was the best hitter against both LHP and RHP of all the candidates last year. Its not perfect and he historically has some struggles vs. RHP, but the Reds have numbers behind him and he should get the shot while others are cooking in AAA. Nix and Dickerson shouldn't be seriiously considered. Nix can't get on base and Dickerson evidently doesn't have enough "cowbell" (or bat) for LF. Wlad is a dark horse and the most interesting of the non-Gomes guys, but he's out of options and the Reds just may cut him loose. I like Dorn as a platoon mate if Gomes revert to a Lefty only masher, but I don't see the Reds giving him a real chance at that job. Give Gomes three months and if he's not cutting it, Francisco may be ready for a chance against RHP if not Dorn.
    more cowbell is an old Saturday Night Live Christopher Walken reference. you are correct that i mean more umphh or offense from LF.

i am a fan of Francisco & think he will be here sooner rather than later.

one thing i really like about the Cabrera & Gomes signings is that it gives us a chance to hang in early in the season. the Reds have a LOT of talent in AAA plus hopefully Volquez can pitch some by mid season plus we have the darkhorse chapman. who knows? could he be ready sometime this year.
    all us fans are drooling at 2011 & beyond but adding Gomes & Cabrera give us a chance to win in 2010 as well

Votto by July with Yonder at 1b. Play the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Votto by July with Yonder at 1b. Play the best players.
    I want to, at the very least, see a full year of minor league production out of Alonso before I go moving Joey off first.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-01-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I want to, at the very least, see a full year of minor league production out of Alonso before I go moving Joey off first.
    Depends. If its the plan, why wait? If its not the plan, I'd guess the Reds are waiting for Yonder to have a healthy, productive run to raise his trade value before dealing him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Adam Dunn would look awfully good out there. He's the exact player the Reds need right now.
    Ha, just posted the same thing in the 'Biggest Hole' thread.

Add Dunn and the Reds would get my pick to win the Central.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Seems simple to me now. If we sign Gomes he plays there every day. If not, Heisey would be my choice. We need power from our LF slot and those two seem to offer the most. As far as Votto/Alonso seeing time out there...Alonso will need to produce for at least a half season at AAA, and even then I'm not sure that warrants moving Votto. Alonso is not a good defender at 1st base...he may be destined for DH on an AL team. I think he will be a monster bat in the Major Leagues some day, but I'm not sure moving Votto to LF and taking a defensive downgrade at two positions is worth it. His best value to the team may be in a trade which means he must perform at a level which increases his value first.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

But that ship has sailed.

right now the Reds outfielders are Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson & Gomes. I personally prefer that the 5th outfielder be someone who hits RHP well so that we could always default to a platoon of Dickerson/Stubbs in CF and 5th OF/Gomes in LF.

it seems to me that Francisco has hacked his way into AAA this spring. the guy has a very low chance of even being a platoon major league player with his abyssmal plate discipline.

Dorn is already back at AAA.

that leaves us with Nix & Balentien (hits RHP better than LHP). not counting the 'B' games i looked up their stats so far this spring:
    Balentien: 273/333/545 in 22 ABs
    Nix: 250/286/500 in 20 ABs

i feel with the emergence of Chapman (if he keeps it up) that the team has a real shot this year. we know that catcher & SS are not going to be that great offensively. Rolen & Phillips will be average to a bit above average. Votto is a stud. Bruce could be a stud. However, even if Bruce breaks out we are still going to need a lot of offense from CF & LF. short of swinging a mega deal this spring i suspect Balentien makes the squad. however i believe this is the place to watch for a deal this year if the Reds stay in contention. walt's modus operandi at St Louis was the mega deal (Rolen, McGwire, Mulder)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    it seems to me that Francisco has hacked his way into AAA this spring. the guy has a very low chance of even being a platoon major league player with his abyssmal plate discipline.
    Spring training always seems to have some abyssmal. I don't think any of the minor leaguers were in for any serious consideration to begin with.
    Code:

BA   OBP  SLG  OPS
    Janish 		.333 .389 .733 1.122
    Dickerson 	.370 .414 .593 1.006
    Bruce 		.333 .357 .630 .987
    Stubbs 		.276 .344 .621 .964
    Francisco 	.261 .320 .565 .885
    Balentien 	.273 .333 .545 .879
    Heisey		.158 .304 .526 .831
    Rolen 		.240 .345 .440 .785
    Nix		.250 .286 .500 .786
    Votto 		.207 .324 .345 .668
    Cabrera 	.259 .323 .333 .656
    Phillips 	.160 .323 .320 .643
    Frazier		.158 .273 .211 .483

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

If you add Dunn you may need to subtract from other spots, most notably the pitching staff.

Turn Off Ads?