Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Crosstown Shootout: 2009 Edition

The Crosstown Shootout: 2009 Edition

I can't believe there's no thread on this yet. Rivalry aside, I'm glad that the two schools are finally on equal footing again and that this game can start to restore its national prominence.

Political correctness aside, I hope UC wins by 40.

TV info: 7:00 on ESPNU.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Crosstown Shootout: 2009 Edition

If UC gets up for this game like they did their three games in Maui, they'll give themselves a great shot to win. If they show up with lackluster effort and play like they did against Miami (OH), they'll give themselves a great shot to lose.

Hopefully it's the former. Go Cats!
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

UC should win.

X isn't looking so hot, maybe they finally bungled a hire with Mack. The fact they've been able to replace so many coaches without having one backfire in their face is pretty rare accomplishment. Of course it also helps playing in the A10, which is horrible.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I think UC wins this one. This game is going to be very physicaly IMO. UC has been playing physical on defense and on the boards all year, and with the added excitement of it being the shootout I'm guessing it gets a little chippy out there. It will be interesting to see how much time Thomas gets in his first game as a Bearcat.

In the end, I say UC's defense wins the game for them and the Cats pull out the win 59-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    UC should win.

X isn't looking so hot, maybe they finally bungled a hire with Mack. The fact they've been able to replace so many coaches without having one backfire in their face is pretty rare accomplishment. Of course it also helps playing in the A10, which is horrible.
    I think it's a bit early to say even question the choice of Mack. Sean Miller missed the postseason entirely his first season and was really wearing out his welcome the second season until Xavier won 4 games in 4 days to win a crazy A10 tourney at US Bank arena. Mack is 8 games into his career.

And full disclosure, I'm a UD fan. Classy ignorant cheap shot at the A10.

Go X today.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Also, this is Ibrahim Thomas's first game of eligibility from his transfer. A 6'11" high post player with a midrange jumper is what the doctor ordered against the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I think it's a bit early to say even question the choice of Mack. Sean Miller missed the postseason entirely his first season and was really wearing out his welcome the second season until Xavier won 4 games in 4 days to win a crazy A10 tourney at US Bank arena. Mack is 8 games into his career.

And full disclosure, I'm a UD fan. Classy ignorant cheap shot at the A10.

Go X today.
    The A-10 is a good conference at the top with UD and Xavier (both legitimately good programs). The back half of that conference is putrid, you have to admit. The A-10 is the Mountain West of basketball.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-13-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I can't believe there's no thread on this yet. Rivalry aside, I'm glad that the two schools are finally on equal footing again and that this game can start to restore its national prominence.

Political correctness aside, I hope UC wins by 40.

TV info: 7:00 on ESPNU.
    I say its a Lance coming out party today.

A-10 is bad.

Xavier will win. Why? Because I think UC can actually win this one.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The A-10 is a good conference at the top with UD and Xavier (both legitimately good programs). The back half of that conference is putrid, you have to admit. The A-10 is the Mountain West of basketball.
    I guess it depends on what you would consider "putrid."

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    A-10 is bad.
    I would consider such conferences as the Mid-Eastern, Atlantic Sun, and the Big South as "bad" conferences. The A10 annually finishes around #8 or #9 in conference standings in just about every ranking system. Not ACC or Big East worthiness, but certainly not "bad."

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I guess it depends on what you would consider "putrid."
    Richmond, Duquesne, St. Louis, La Salle, Fordham, George Washington and St. Bonaventure all had an RPI of 120 or greater last year. The A-10 isn't a bad conference. I'd say it's in the top two of the non power-conferences with the Missouri Valley (I hate the term "mid-major") and a conference ranking of 8th or 9th reflects that. But without Dayton or Xavier, it's basically the Horizon League.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-13-2009 at 12:59 PM.

UC 105
    XU 63

It's gonna be a HUGE blowout at Cintas Center today. HUGE.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Yay!

The A-10 is actually a little better so far this year.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

But I'm loving how Big East basketball fans sound like SEC football fans. That's amusing.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?