Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

Senor Votto

Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

Right now the Bengals are a 6-2 and they still have half a season to play. Out of those 8 games they have the Steelers 5-2, the Raiders 2-6,the Browns 1-7, the Lions 1-7, the Vikings 7-1, the Chargers 5-3, the Chiefs 1-7, and the Jets 4-4. So out of those 8 games half them have losing records, one a .500 team, and 3 teams with winning records. They could go 10-6 easily but is that enough to make the wild card?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Right now the Bengals are a 6-2 and they still have half a season to play. Out of those 8 games they have the Steelers 5-2, the Raiders 2-6,the Browns 1-7, the Lions 1-7, the Vikings 7-1, the Chargers 5-3, the Chiefs 1-7, and the Jets 4-4. So out of those 8 games half them have losing records, one a .500 team, and 3 teams with winning records. They could go 10-6 easily but is that enough to make the wild card?
    In most years, yes. They've set themselves up nicely for a playoff run in the first eight games; now it's a matter of taking care of business on the field in the second half of the season.

They have much more than a shot, they're in the driver's seat. 10 wins will get them in, but I believe they'll win 11 or 12.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Yeah, the Bengals are goin' to the playoffs. But what about the Superbowl.

They've got four games they SHOULD win (CLE, OAK, KC, DET) left.

They've got four games they CAN win (Pitt, SD, Minn, NYJ) left.

If they can take care of business in the four games they should win, and just manage to split the other four, that puts them at 12 wins and I can't imagine them not making the playoffs with 12 wins.

I also feel like I should say, I feel way better about this team's chances of making some noise in the playoffs then I did about the 2005 team. The '05 team was good, but I never had any faith in that defense. If the offense faltered, The Bengals couldn't win. That's not the case this year, and it really is exciting to watch a Bengals team that can beat an opponent from both lines of scrimmage.

They easily should win 10 games and thats going to get them in the playoffs unless some other team goes nuts here in the 2nd half.

I said before the season that 8-8 would be awful with the schedule they've played. In fact, the schedule's even worse than I imagined.

This team should easily get 12 wins even if they lose to Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I said before the season that 8-8 would be awful with the schedule they've played. In fact, the schedule's even worse than I imagined.

This team should easily get 12 wins even if they lose to Pittsburgh.
    How has the schedule been so bad when 7 of the 8 games they've played have teams currently with .500 records or better?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    How has the schedule been so bad when 7 of the 8 games they've played have teams currently with .500 records or better?
    I said their schedule as a whole isn't very good. I figured the Bengals would split Bmore, beat Cleveland twice and probably get beat twice, at best a split with Pittsburgh.

The only game left on their schedule that I think the Bengals will most definitely lose is SD. They never play well on the left coast and SD is a bad matchup for them IMO.

IF they can avoid doing the stupid mistakes that teams seem to make when they play Pittsburgh...and I guess that is more a credit to the way the Steelers rise up when they need to and make the big play.. BUT i also blame the other team (like the Vikings) for stupidity as well.

Also while everyone loves Chad's fun and games...he is starting to grate on me and makes me start to wonder where his head is at. He seems to be on the border of losing control to me...overdoing it to the point of distraction.

I still worry about more injuries but not much control over that.

I worry that the Cleveland QB will have his usual big game against them beacuse he always seems to no matter how bad he is playing.

I worry that what happened to Cleveland in 07 when they went 10 and 6 ..and missed the playoffs..will happen to them. Heck... 11-5 NE missed the playoffs as well last year.

I don't think there is any merit to an argument about the Bengals schedule, esp. with road wins at GB and Baltimore. I don't even see how that enters the conversation at this point. The Bengals seem to have an overall fair schedule that turned out to be front loaded, but that is a function of hindsight as you see how tough a schedule is after the results are in. The NFL's rotation system ensures one of the fairer scheduling systems in professional sports.

As for the playoffs, yesterday was a barometer game for me. The Pittsburgh game next week now becomes icing on the cake. The remaining games that are toss ups are road games at Minny and San Diego.

The thing that makes this team less upset prone is the D, so letdowns against some of the weakest teams should not be an issue.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

(As A Steeler fan, I don't want to type this...) The Bengals should win the division. When they stay on their game, they are the most complete team.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    (As A Steeler fan, I don't want to type this...) The Bengals should win the division. When they stay on their game, they are the most complete team.
    The key word is "Should". I hate to say this, and I think anybody who calls themselves a true Bengals fan will back me up 100% on this, it is very difficult for me to get overly excited.

It's like getting together with a new girl after a failed relationship with your ex. You want to become attached but you are afraid of getting hurt or let down again because of what has happened in the past. This may be an extreme analogy, but I think you get the picture.

The game against Denver actually had me believing more of the same was going to happen this season. Houston I believe was a letdown more because I think the players and staff were still in mourning from the loss of Mrs. Zimmer. The funeral followed the Ravens game so I am willing to give the Bengals a pass there.

IMO the Steelers have an easier schedule past the Cincinnati game next week. Two games against the Ravens and one against Green Bay, the rest they should win. A lot depends on whether or not Baltimore does us any favors.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Bengals, in reality, are 3 games ahead of Baltimore, so that helps. Essentially, five of the AFC's playoff spots are likely secured (New England, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Denver). While there is still a lot of football to play, I see these five getting in. Really, it's New York, Houston, San Diego and Baltimore likely fighting over the last spot. Cincinnati is helped by the fact they essentially lead Baltimore by 3 games because of head-to-head and the division record.

I see Cincinnati going 5-3 the rest of the way (losses to Pitt, Minnesota and San Diego). This will put them 11-5, though I do think 10-6 gets them in too.

The good news is that would make them the division winner, assuming Pittsburgh lost at least three games along the way. The bad news is that it might not be enough for a bye.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Bengals, in reality, are 3 games ahead of Baltimore, so that helps. Essentially, five of the AFC's playoff spots are likely secured (New England, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Denver). While there is still a lot of football to play, I see these five getting in. Really, it's New York, Houston, San Diego and Baltimore likely fighting over the last spot. Cincinnati is helped by the fact they essentially lead Baltimore by 3 games because of head-to-head and the division record.

I see Cincinnati going 5-3 the rest of the way (losses to Pitt, Minnesota and San Diego). This will put them 11-5, though I do think 10-6 gets them in too.

The good news is that would make them the division winner, assuming Pittsburgh lost at least three games along the way. The bad news is that it might not be enough for a bye.
    The worse news is it probably means playing Pittsburgh in the 3-6 game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?