Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burglarized

Burglarized

So my apartment was broken in to tonight and I had my iMac, my PC laptop and my PS3 stolen. For most of the sites I frequent, I had autocomplete and all of that on. I've already gone to all of those websites and changed passwords and tomorrow morning I'll call the police to update the report my roommate filed. (they came and dusted for fingerprints tonight)

I've called my bank, but does anybody have general advice on what else I should do or be on the watch for? In particular, who do I contact regarding placing a flag on my credit report to indicate the possibility of coming fraudulent activity?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Burglarized

Rick,

I have unfortunately had the same experience twice, it really puts you in your place and just makes you feel "violated." I think you are good to cover all your passwords etc. The only thing I would add is to cancel/change any credit card/debit card info since they may be able to get enough personal information or even account numbers off your computer, especially if you have made any online purchases with that computer. They store that stuff FOREVER!

Change locks if there is ANY chance keys were taken.

Sorry man, always enjoy your posts if it makes you feel any better.

I also bought a gun which makes me sleep better at night. That is a whole new thread however that I won't get in to.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

post, can't help you much with.

pre, change locks, change internet passwords constantly (i change mine biweekly to jibberish that is programmed into my parents homephone), write down the serial number to everything you own (i learned this from someone who posts here from the Atlanta area when he had his house robbed).

the only other thing i can suggest is marginal at best, and that's making it known you have a minor armory in your home. it worked very well for me when i lived in Clifton.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

If you are worried about identity theft, you can put an alert on your credit. Then if anyone tries to get credit using your info, they would have to provide a photo id.

Sorry to hear about the burglary. Did you have renters insurance?

High five!

Whoa! Sorry to hear, Rick!

Geez, sorry about the break-in man. Unfortunately, I can't offer any help, just my apologies.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    So my apartment was broken in to tonight and I had my iMac, my PC laptop and my PS3 stolen. For most of the sites I frequent, I had autocomplete and all of that on. I've already gone to all of those websites and changed passwords and tomorrow morning I'll call the police to update the report my roommate filed. (they came and dusted for fingerprints tonight)

I've called my bank, but does anybody have general advice on what else I should do or be on the watch for? In particular, who do I contact regarding placing a flag on my credit report to indicate the possibility of coming fraudulent activity?
    I would call credit card companies of cards you may have had, and alert them of stored data on your stolen puters.

Sorry to hear about the burglary man

Isn't is funny how "violated" you feel? It is a helpless feeling. Are you sure there is no skullduggery going on?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    post, can't help you much with.

pre, change locks, change internet passwords constantly (i change mine biweekly to jibberish that is programmed into my parents homephone), write down the serial number to everything you own (i learned this from someone who posts here from the Atlanta area when he had his house robbed).

the only other thing i can suggest is marginal at best, and that's making it known you have a minor armory in your home. it worked very well for me when i lived in Clifton.
    Making it known you have weapons in the house isn't a smart move. Guns are a big target for burglars, and the house could be targeted for that reason alone.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Making it known you have weapons in the house isn't a smart move. Guns are a big target for burglars, and the house could be targeted for that reason alone.

They'll just take them when you aren't home, which is when they rob you anyway, so the gun doesn't do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    that require having still had firearms then. cleaning war hammers and swords on the front porch now again had the desired effect. after about a month the door-to-door soliciters stopped knocking and minor vandalism to our house and the two houses next to us dropped of significantly.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    They'll just take them when you aren't home, which is when they rob you anyway, so the gun doesn't do any good.
    Unless it's in a safe.

Or carried on your person.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    that require having still had firearms then. cleaning war hammers and swords on the front porch now again had the desired effect. after about a month the door-to-door soliciters stopped knocking and minor vandalism to our house and the two houses next to us dropped of significantly.
    Yeah but the backyard trebuchet might've been a bit much!

Really sorry to hear about this Rick. Terrible news, especially so close to Christmas.

I worked with a guy years ago that had his apartment burglarized. Everything was taken from the apartment, including his dog.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Sorry to hear this Rick.

You might want to pay a little extra attention to ebay....maybe you can get lucky and recover something.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?