Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ouch

Ouch

Anyone ever break their leg?

I was playing a pick up tackle football game a couple days ago and hurt my leg. I'm not really sure if it is broken or not. I have no insurance, so an Xray isn't really an option for now.

I was running to the left... planted my foot to cut to the right and it slid a little (muddy).. when I went to cut right someone tackle me from behind and my body fell over top of my leg (it was stretched out)... There was a pretty loud pop/snap sound.

The snap felt like it came a few inches above my ankle. There is a little stiffness in the calf. Little to no swelling. No bruising. Hurts really bad to put much weight on my foot. I can walk with minor pain.

Anyways, it sucks. I'm thinking it might just be a high ankle sprain but I really don't know. Anyone ever go through this?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Ouch

You would know if it were broken would be my guess. I have torn tendons and ligaments before and they are tougher to get a grip on (short of my ACL which I knew immediately) and broken bones in which case I knew right away were broken because the pain is just a much different feeling that tendons and ligaments.

I've never broken a bone. I'm not really sure. A few people have told me it doesn't hurt as bad as you would think, so that's what worried me.

If you're in college or not working (or working and not making much) I'd check into Medicaid. It's really not smart to mess around with this sort of thing. Even a doctor on here wouldn't be able to tell you anything without looking at it, if you're really worried about it you need to see someone. Just go see your family doctor if nothing else, he might be able to tell you you don't even need an x-ray and office visits are cheap.Worth it for the peace of mind.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Go to the emergency room, they can't refuse you treatment if you don't have insurance. Also, hospitals will often write off a person's bill if they are unable to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Go to the emergency room, they can't refuse you treatment if you don't have insurance. Also, hospitals will often write off a person's bill if they are unable to pay.
    very true. its what they did when i broke my humerus not that many years ago. never really thought it was broken, just thought i had strained a muscle, but after two months of it still hurting i finally opted for the ER.

when i still had health insurance back in 2006, i had acupuncture done on my hands. before they did it, the doctor did an x-ray on the area. when he got the image back he asked me if i had ever broken my hand before, i answered with "no." by his estimate, i had broken both my hands (and fingers) about a 100 times total. yay, baseball, theater, and/or live steel sword fights!
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    very true. its what they did when i broke my humerus not that many years ago. never really thought it was broken, just thought i had strained a muscle, but after two months of it still hurting i finally opted for the ER.

when i still had health insurance back in 2006, i had acupuncture done on my hands. before they did it, the doctor did an x-ray on the area. when he got the image back he asked me if i had ever broken my hand before, i answered with "no." by his estimate, i had broken both my hands (and fingers) about a 100 times total. yay, baseball, theater, and/or live steel sword fights!
    Live steel sword fights?

Live steel sword fights?
    yep. the last one i had was a Piqua Kiwanis meeting in Februrary. the last one i got injured at was in 2004 when i missed meeting a parry to an axe and landed on it. i've been doing them far less since 2007 because of the risk of injury and having no one to work with that i felt comfortable with (bloody people starting to have families). never mind parts of me don't always agree with walkng anymore.

they're very similar to Asiatic martial art demonstrations, it's more that Europe didn't keep nearly as good records as Japan and China and Korea, and Vietnam.

but you also just could look at my signature and/or profile.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 12-16-2009 at 03:59 AM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I didn't have insurance when I broke my arm a few years back. (the incident with the chair that some of you no doubt remember) I got pretty darn good care considering and both hospitals and the surgeon discounted my bills and gave me workable payment plans. Lack of insurance really isn't a hindrance to getting proper care, so I would get it checked out if I were you. Sounds like a sprain, but you never know.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    yep. the last one i had was a Piqua Kiwanis meeting in Februrary. the last one i got injured at was in 2004 when i missed meeting a parry to an axe and landed on it. i've been doing them far less since 2007 because of the risk of injury and having no one to work with that i felt comfortable with (bloody people starting to have families). never mind parts of me don't always agree with walkng anymore.

they're very similar to Asiatic martial art demonstrations, it's more that Europe didn't keep nearly as good records as Japan and China and Korea, and Vietnam.

but you also just could look at my signature and/or profile.
    Okay, good. Just one question, have you made a will yet? :

Go to the hospital brother. I have been a couple of times with no insurance, they will take care of you or send you to a hospital that will. (County) Broken bones don't always hurt as much as you think. In fact, I had a ankle sprain once that hurt twice as bad as any of the bones I have broke.

I had a friend once who did not get a broken bone checked out and it healed wrong, they had to rebreak the bone. Get it checked out!

Okay, good. Just one question, have you made a will yet? :
    before i graduated high school.

Turn Off Ads?