Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #21 prospect?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Tyler Cline

0 0%
  • Matt Fairel

3 4.84%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

1 1.61%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

3 4.84%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

5 8.06%
  • Logan Ondrusek

1 1.61%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Miguel Rojas

5 8.06%
  • Enerio Del Rosario

5 8.06%
  • Dave Sappelt

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

2 3.23%
  • Jordan Smith

11 17.74%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

20 32.26%
  • Mace Thurman

0 0%
  • Daniel Tuttle

0 0%
  • Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette

1 1.61%
  • Humberto Valor

0 0%
  • Pedro Viola

5 8.06%
  • Other - Name him

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #21 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #21 prospect?

smith, again, for about the 5th time. he's more advanced that JCS. JCS has serious command issues. I think he can overcome those issues, but I think he's a lot further out than Jordan Smith. Smith's upside isn't anything to dismiss either. Given these factors, including Smith's overall health, I can't take JCS here. Not yet.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Highest pitching upside of those left?

Sulburan is okay, but Smith, Lotskar, and Cline all have ace potential and have done more at the minor league level.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Highest pitching upside of those left?

Sulburan is okay, but Smith, Lotskar, and Cline all have ace potential and have done more at the minor league level.
    I don't think you should sell Serrano short or Tuttle for that matter.

Given the names we're starting to compare, I'd like to see Hildebrandt thrown into the mix. Can we do that?

How does Cline have more ace potential than Sulbaran? Cline had a 6.4K rate in the gulf coast. JCS was two levels up with a K rate close to 10. Granted that came with a couple other issues, but I can't help but think Cline's numbers would be MUCH less pretty had he been placed in Dayton right out of the gate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    I don't think you should sell Serrano short or Tuttle for that matter.
    Tuttle especially, if only considering true upside. Serrano doesn't have quite the same upside, but his floor is likely higher than any pitcher left.

Del Rosario

It is hard to separate some of the guys on the list when you compare raw prospects with players already probably at their peak. To compare J.C. Sulbaran and Sam Lecure is hard to do. One will almost certainly reach the big leagues but as a fringe player. The other has a much smaller chance of ever seeing the big leagues but could potentially have more of an impact there if he figures it out.

If you watched Matt Fairel and J.C. Sulbaran throw on back-to-back days in 2009, and someone told you that Sulbaran is a better prospect than Fairel, you would probably ask that this person be drug tested. While Fairel has a much better chance of getting to the majors, it seems that the Sulbaran supporters would say that J.C. has a better chance to be an impact major leaguer, and maybe they are right. He does throw two mph harder than Fairel and is two years younger. In terms of make-up, you could not find any two guys who are on more opposite ends of the spectrum. Fairel is a bulldog that is never going to get rattled, has no fear on the mound, and is not afraid to go after the opposition's best hitter in any situation, and his teammates feed on that confidence. Sulbaran is a good kid, but he is still a kid in a man's body.

One thing about Fairel that I liked in 2009: We know he was an all-star in Dayton. He went to Sarasota and initially struggled some with more disciplined hitters, maybe a slightly smaller strike zone, etc. But he adjusted. He made eight starts there. Look at his last three starts after he made the adjustments: 21.2 IP, 14 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 15 K, 0.83 ERA. Fairel is a Maloney-type prospect. If he goes to Lynchburg, look for some outstanding numbers. He could climb up the Reds top 30 after one more good season, maybe into the top 15.

Ondrusek

between A+, AA and AAA (like Zach Stewart)

72 innings, 44 hits 47/21 K:BB
    .178 BAA
    1.9/1 GB:FB
    1 HR in 72 innings

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Ondrusek

between A+, AA and AAA (like Zach Stewart)

72 innings, 44 hits 47/21 K:BB
    .178 BAA
    1.9/1 GB:FB
    1 HR in 72 innings
    That strikeout rate just doesn't excite me for a minor league relief pitcher...

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    It is hard to separate some of the guys on the list when you compare raw prospects with players already probably at their peak. To compare J.C. Sulbaran and Sam Lecure is hard to do. One will almost certainly reach the big leagues but as a fringe player. The other has a much smaller chance of ever seeing the big leagues but could potentially have more of an impact there if he figures it out.

If you watched Matt Fairel and J.C. Sulbaran throw on back-to-back days in 2009, and someone told you that Sulbaran is a better prospect than Fairel, you would probably ask that this person be drug tested. While Fairel has a much better chance of getting to the majors, it seems that the Sulbaran supporters would say that J.C. has a better chance to be an impact major leaguer, and maybe they are right. He does throw two mph harder than Fairel and is two years younger. In terms of make-up, you could not find any two guys who are on more opposite ends of the spectrum. Fairel is a bulldog that is never going to get rattled, has no fear on the mound, and is not afraid to go after the opposition's best hitter in any situation, and his teammates feed on that confidence. Sulbaran is a good kid, but he is still a kid in a man's body.

One thing about Fairel that I liked in 2009: We know he was an all-star in Dayton. He went to Sarasota and initially struggled some with more disciplined hitters, maybe a slightly smaller strike zone, etc. But he adjusted. He made eight starts there. Look at his last three starts after he made the adjustments: 21.2 IP, 14 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 15 K, 0.83 ERA. Fairel is a Maloney-type prospect. If he goes to Lynchburg, look for some outstanding numbers. He could climb up the Reds top 30 after one more good season, maybe into the top 15.
    Do Fairel's mechanics scare you at all?

I saw him throw several times this past season and his delivery makes me think that he is going to have issues with injuries in the future.

Kinda surprised Henry Rodriguez hasn't received a single vote the last 2 rounds..
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Kinda surprised Henry Rodriguez hasn't received a single vote the last 2 rounds..
    Well did you vote for him?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Well did you vote for him?
    duh. obviously not... But I've been with the majority (top 2 vote getters) the last 5-10 picks... Some of the other guys receiving votes on the other hand... Not really sure why they're getting love over Rodriguez...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?