Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nix re-signed

Nix re-signed

Laynce Nix signed to a minor league contract today with an invitation to spring training.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nix re-signed

I like that. I thought Nix did some very good things last year--namely, hit doubles and catch the ball. And his tailing off seemed to be coincident with the injury to his neck. I think he definitely has value--at least, potential value--as a platoon guy.

That was to be expected. I wonder how much money he'll get if he makes the team.

On a related note: wow, Louisville's roster is really, really crowded.

Nix has to know that the odds he gets on the major league team this year is involved with one of our outfielders getting injured. then again odds are if/when that happens hes going to be the 1st name called.

He made $600,000 last year, I think. Probably about the same amount in 2010. He should make the team. His temporary removal from the roster was strictly about economics and now they have that sorted out. This might make it tougher for Heisey to make the club out of spring training. Still waiting to see what they do or don't do with Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He made $600,000 last year, I think. Probably about the same amount in 2010. He should make the team. His temporary removal from the roster was strictly about economics and now they have that sorted out. This might make it tougher for Heisey to make the club out of spring training. Still waiting to see what they do or don't do with Gomes.
    The Reds would have to remove someone from the 40 man. Only outfielder worth cutting loose is Willy T and I really really doubt that happens.

By April 5, there could be some candidates to take off the 40-man, depending on injuries and other things (Lincoln, Bray, Sutton, etc.). You could just put Volquez on the 60-day DL.

I don't think Nix being on a non-roster deal in any way impacts where he stands as far as making the club. If he was good enough to be on the team on October 1, 2009, unless they have someone better, he should be good enough on April 5, 2010. That being said, if they decide to give a younger player a shot, such as Francisco or Heisey, Nix or Balentien would be on the bubble. So you have Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Balentien, Nix, Tavarez, and we will see about Gomes. If they bring back Gomes, that is seven. Six would likely make it. A young guy could bump someone else.

Turn Off Ads?