Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen extended...

Re: Rolen extended...

I was ready to go in to complaining mode, but this is a good value. My only question is what it means for some of the guys in the system. I wonder if this isn't part of letting us move Phillips, with Frazier getting a more extended look at 2B. I would also expect Fransisco to be dealt.

Jocketty very clearly uses a lot of the same reasoning as Scheurholz -- it's all about the major league squad. Minor league talent is fungible in the sense that it will always be valuable to somebody and you can and should use it to fill holes on the major league roster.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With the bonus added in, rolen will receive about 7.7mill next year so the savings is closer to 3.3 mill for the Reds, not 5 mill.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    LF is for Votto, unless you move Alonso. So strike that. We have a fantastic 2B, so Frazier is blocked there.
    I don't think Phillips will be here forever.

While I don't love this deal (NTC extended through the end of the new deal) I do like the deal. I expected an extension at some point. But I think the ONLY way this affects the rest of the roster right now is that Harang and Arroyo are more likely to start the season with the Reds and that a move to pick up someone like Gomes, Duchscherer, or (even better) a shortstop is at least a little more likely.

I for one don't want them to even think of extending Arroyo, Harang, or Cordero. Cordero for obvious reasons. As far as Arroyo/Harang we'll already have Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Leake/Maloney/Wood/etc in 2010. We should consider keeping one of Arroyo/Harang but not both. Trade the other one (and hopefully Cordero) in June/July. I want the Reds to improve this season and contend in 2011 with plenty of payroll room to make moves in June/July 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    With the bonus added in, rolen will receive about 7.7mill next year so the savings is closer to 3.3 mill for the Reds, not 5 mill.
    Aren't the Blue Jays kicking something in as well?
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Aren't the Blue Jays kicking something in as well?
    They sent the Reds 4MM to help pay Rolens 2009 salary, that was it.

Can anyone explain what the plan is now? Rumors of trading Harrang and Arroyo don't make sense in context with extending Rolen.

I can't make it compute.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Can anyone explain what the plan is now? Rumors of trading Harrang and Arroyo don't make sense in context with extending Rolen.

I can't make it compute.
    Plan?.... What plan?

The Blue Jays gave us $3.9 million, covering the full salary Rolen was scheduled to make for 2009. So we didn't pay any of his salary last season.

He's due a $4 million bonus for 2010, but that's being paid by the St. Louis Cards. He also was due to make $11 million in 2010, but now that's been restructured to a new $23.625 million contract extending from 2010-2012.

We're on the hook for the full amount of this contract. It looks to me like we'll pay him $6 million in '10, $6.5 million in '11 and $6.5 million in '12 -- then a deferred $5 million bonus at the conclusion of his career.

But I've seen some posters who have suggested the bonus will be paid out in three equal $1.67 million installments over each of the next three seasons. If those posters are correct, then his annual take from '10-'12 will be in the $7.7-$8.2 million range instead of the figures I've outlined above.

If Frazier can play 2b, I think it's pretty clear who will be moved, and it may not be much farther than to SS. Earlier I posted a July, 2010, lineup. Now let's modify it a little.
    1. Stubbs or Heisey
    2. Rolen
    3. Votto
    4. Phillips
    5. Bruce
    6. Alonso (or possibly Francisco)
    7. Frazier
    8. Hanigan/Hernandez.
    That lineup has a good chance to win the NL central.

I can't make it compute.
    I'd ignore those rumors now until June/July.

Rumors are just exactly that. I'd suggest Walt is just floating possibilities but because the Reds are finally in a position of some strength, other team's offers are just not enough.

Put me down as this being a bad (but not terrible) move. It is classic Reds move paying big money for a old player with injury history that at best will put up league average for the length of contract while only playing an average 100 games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I was ready to go in to complaining mode, but this is a good value. My only question is what it means for some of the guys in the system. I wonder if this isn't part of letting us move Phillips, with Frazier getting a more extended look at 2B. I would also expect Fransisco to be dealt.

Jocketty very clearly uses a lot of the same reasoning as Scheurholz -- it's all about the major league squad. Minor league talent is fungible in the sense that it will always be valuable to somebody and you can and should use it to fill holes on the major league roster.
    I think it gives them flexibility to pursue whatever moves improve the club and its system the best. Moving Phillips for a high routine, leaves us with options to slide a prospect in there. Move one of the prospects for more in the system. I like the move overall.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    Put me down as this being a bad (but not terrible) move. It is classic Reds move paying big money for a old player with injury history that at best will put up league average for the length of contract while only playing an average 100 games a year.
    I'm getting ready to go out to a party, but would you care to name the previous "big money for a (sic) old player with injury history" during this regime (or for that matter previous ones). I know we've had some poor signings over the last couple of years, but I'm puzzled as to who fits your description recently.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I can't make it compute.
    The Harang rumor doesn't seem to be much from the Reds side. They denied it. The Arroyo rumor could be selling high, which should be a part of any org's plan.

Turn Off Ads?