Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Rolen signs a restructured extention

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Scott Rolen has agreed to a contract extension that will keep him with the Reds through 2012.
    Rolen will earn $23.625 million over the next three seasons. He restructured his contract in order to get it done, as instead of earning $11 million next season, he will now receive $6 million in 2010, $6.5 million in 2011 and $6.5 million in 2012. Rolen will also receive a $5 million signing bonus that is deferred over the next three seasons. The move provides the Reds with some much-needed salary relief, but he'll be 37 by the end of the contract. Rolen batted .305/.368/.455 with 11 home runs and 67 RBI with the Reds and Blue Jays in '09, but hasn't played in more than 128 games since 2006.
    So by my count the Reds just loosened up something like 6 million in payroll by doing this. I hate the trade because of how badly I feel we mismanaged the market, but I simply love this deal honestly.

    We might have enough cash to sign a SS in free agency now. Orlando Cabrera would be a decent pick up for a year.

    I wonder what happens now to Francisco and Frazier.
    Last edited by GIDP; 12-19-2009 at 01:59 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,154

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I wonder what happens now to Francisco and Frazier.
    And Alonso, and Heisey. With Votto at 1B and Phillips at 2B, LF is now a huge logjam.
    Last edited by malcontent; 12-19-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    202

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Now since we have the money i think a miguel tejada signing should take place now which would give us the offense we desperately need at that position and we get whatever defense is left from him

    Then we trade Harang, Taveras, Alonso,and Micah Owings either over to angels for Ervin Santana and Juan Rivera, to the mets for John Maine, Fernando Martinez,and Thole or to the Indians for Shin soo choo, Jeremy Sowers and Fausto Carmona

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Now since we have the money i think a miguel tejada signing should take place now which would give us the offense we desperately need at that position and we get whatever defense is left from him

    Then we trade Harang, Taveras, Alonso,and Micah Owings either over to angels for Ervin Santana and Juan Rivera, to the mets for John Maine, Fernando Martinez,and Thole or to the Indians for Shin soo choo, Jeremy Sowers and Fausto Carmona
    Ring Ring Ring
    Hello, reality isn't in right now would you like to leave a message?

  6. #5
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    I'm not sure about this one. While I like Rolen's veteran presence, and his leadership, as well as his current batting, he is getting old, and I just don't see him staying productive all the way through 2012.

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    419

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Ring Ring Ring
    Hello, reality isn't in right now would you like to leave a message?
    well said GIDP!
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #7
    Member Zimmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    77

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I'm not sure about this one. While I like Rolen's veteran presence, and his leadership, as well as his current batting, he is getting old, and I just don't see him staying productive all the way through 2012.

    320
    yes its keeping him for another year but itrt a affordable year. This is way better than paying him at his before contract. This was money he was going to earn anyway just with a extra year and money freed up 4 a trade for this year or next. Imo there is nothing not really to not like.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    The REDS under Jockety/Baker/Bavasi continue to do stupid things and embrace mediocrity.

    Wake me up if this franchise ever wins 90 games again while Jockety/Baker/Bavasi is here (though he could sell the entire farm for one "failed" shot, but that won't count if it's followed by .500 and below seasons).

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    The Hydra (Jockety/Baker/Bavasi) wreaks havoc on the Cincinnati REDS Ballclub again, ripping another part of the machine apart that was built up by O'Brien and Krivsky.

    I'm not wrong about this. Someone please post an "I told you so" in September, 2010 or September, 2011 if this team is in a pennant race. It's not possible though because they are committed to stupid moves like the "two" involving Scott Rolen.

    Go to the games, have fun that day. If they win, fine. If they don't, fine. Just don't have any playoff expectations.

    It's amazing how quickly Management can ruin an organization. Sadly, it takes a long time to undo the damage.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    way-east of cincinnati
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Hydra (Jockety/Baker/Bavasi) wreaks havoc on the Cincinnati REDS Ballclub again, ripping another part of the machine apart that was built up by O'Brien and Krivsky.

    I'm not wrong about this. Someone please post an "I told you so" in September, 2010 or September, 2011 if this team is in a pennant race. It's not possible though because they are committed to stupid moves like the "two" involving Scott Rolen.

    Go to the games, have fun that day. If they win, fine. If they don't, fine. Just don't have any playoff expectations.

    It's amazing how quickly Management can ruin an organization. Sadly, it takes a long time to undo the damage.
    While I agree with your statement about the fantastic job of building from within done by O'Brien and Krivsky, I remain the eternal optimist. This s eason like the past few, depend on a few things falling in place, such is the fate of teams not in the mega-big markets. Minnesota year after year finds a way to compete from developing their own talent-----only to let it go a few years later. But nevermind, they've always got other up and comers to take the place. I thought that was the reason the Reds brought in Krivsky, to develop a similar plan. If this and that fall into place, we got a shot. That's all we can hope for, so it'll have to do for now.

  12. #11
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    MLB requires all deferred payment be put in a bank account and not touched, so how does this help the reds?

  13. #12
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Ring Ring Ring
    Hello, reality isn't in right now would you like to leave a message?
    You owe me a new keyboard because I just spit my drink all over it after reading that.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Can someone please explain the point of a signing bonus in a major league contract, especially if it's deffered? Since the contracts are all garanteed anyway, why bother with the signing bonus? The only thing I can see is that he gets that money if he retires.
    Sto Pro Veritate

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Can someone please explain the point of a signing bonus in a major league contract, especially if it's deffered? Since the contracts are all garanteed anyway, why bother with the signing bonus? The only thing I can see is that he gets that money if he retires.
    You get to spread the cost over the length of the contract versus all of it in the year it was paid.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Rolen signs a restructured extention

    That's the point in deferring it....I see that. But why bother with a signing bonus at all? In football it's because if the player gets cut they don't get paid....it's a way of gauranteeing them a minimum amount of money. In baseball the salaries are all garanteed so the point of a signing bonus seems moot. ESPECIALLY if you're going to defer it over the life of the contract and not pay it up front. Then it's just basically more salary (unless, like I said, Rolen retires and gives up the last year or two salary...then he still gets the bonus money).
    Sto Pro Veritate


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25