Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club...

    Hogwash!

    Forget the last 19 games played. That's the last half of September/Oct and it's full of minor leaguers, with meaningless, no pressure games for the REDS against Houston, Pittsburgh and Florida.

    The 41 games before that, which is what everyone's talking about (the GLORY of Scott Rolen, and his psychic powers to make the other players better) the REDS were 19-22. The day Rolen put on a REDS uniform they proceeded to lose more games than they won for the next 41 games.

    It would have been much worse if not for the arrival of Drew Stubbs. Stubbs' arrival gave the REDS an immediate impact. During the middle of those 41 games after Rolen arrived the REDS' put together a 12-2 run (meaning they were 7-20 during the other games of Rolen's "impact".

    That 12-2 run had little to do with Rolen and everything to do with Stubbs replacing Dickerson in CF that day (and no Willy Taveras around to screw things up).

    With Rolen batting 5th in an RBI spot, he only generated 6 RBI's over those 14 games (Votto and Phillips were in the lineup every day ahead of him) with Stubbs bettering him with 7 RBI's from the #1 spot. Those 8th and 9th spots for the REDS were horrendous with nobody getting on base in front of him, or he led off an inning because the pitcher made the last out or he led off the game.

    Stubbs scored 11 runs and Rolen just 7, understandably.

    Rolen batted:.. .315/.373/.333(ugly)/.706 with 1 measly extra-base hit....a double...and he's supposed to be the #5 RBI producer. I don't think so.

    Stubbs batted: .313/.333/.537/.870 with Four Homeruns, a Triple, and a Double!

    That's why they were able to go 12-2 over a 14 game stretch surrounded by a 7-20 record during the first 41 games of Rolen's arrival.

    The REDS went 6-14 during those first 20 games that Rolen arrived for. Some influence!!! A negative influence, if anything. But, in reality it was neither.

    Willy Taveras started 12 of those 20 games and Stubbs only played (started) in 4 of those 20 games.

    There's the difference. Pitchers knowing that Willy Taveras was behind you in the field and leading off at the plate versus that 14-game stretch where Stubbs was behind them in the field and leading off at the plate with no Willy Taveras to be found.

    Enough already with the "Scott Rolen" influence. There wasn't one and there isn't going to be one.

    There is a Drew-Stubbs-minus-Willy-Taveras influence, but it's on the field and at the plate, not in the minds of the players.

    Every player is trying to make as much money as they can and trying as hard as they can and no player is going to motivate them to do any better one way or the other. Their wife might. Their kids might. The Manager or Coach might. But, no player is going to make a difference mentally in the motivation department.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    704

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Your opinion about Rolen's leadership abilities is as warrantless as your theory about Stubbs' arrival. The fact is, you personally have no idea what Rolen's effect on the clubhouse was and you can say with no certainty to what degree he influenced other players. I am not a Rolen Kool-Aid drinker but when people claim to know about things like clubhouse dynamics it really makes me scratch my head.

  4. #3
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Your opinion about Rolen's leadership abilities is as warrantless as your theory about Stubbs' arrival. The fact is, you personally have no idea what Rolen's effect on the clubhouse was and you can say with no certainty to what degree he influenced other players. I am not a Rolen Kool-Aid drinker but when people claim to know about things like clubhouse dynamics it really makes me scratch my head.
    Agreed. One could also point to Votto being out for a month earlier in the season, coming back and struggling right away and maybe getting it going later on. Or point to Bruce getting hurt and being replaced with someone who could actually hit for average and not swing for the fence every at-bat. Or Janish making the most of his opportunity. Or Arroyo pitching better in the second half. Bailey putting it all together.

    There were alot of factors.

    Bailey and Arroyo put together terrific 2nd halves.
    Drew Stubbs replaced Tavares in CF.
    Reds trotted out a consistent lineup of their best players from August on.
    Defense was improved with Rolen at 3B and Janish at SS.
    Lehr/Maloney put together better 5th starter starts than Owings.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    71

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Hogwash!

    Forget the last 19 games played. That's the last half of September/Oct and it's full of minor leaguers, with meaningless, no pressure games for the REDS against Houston, Pittsburgh and Florida.

    The 41 games before that, which is what everyone's talking about (the GLORY of Scott Rolen, and his psychic powers to make the other players better) the REDS were 19-22. The day Rolen put on a REDS uniform they proceeded to lose more games than they won for the next 41 games.

    It would have been much worse if not for the arrival of Drew Stubbs. Stubbs' arrival gave the REDS an immediate impact. During the middle of those 41 games after Rolen arrived the REDS' put together a 12-2 run (meaning they were 7-20 during the other games of Rolen's "impact".

    That 12-2 run had little to do with Rolen and everything to do with Stubbs replacing Dickerson in CF that day (and no Willy Taveras around to screw things up).

    With Rolen batting 5th in an RBI spot, he only generated 6 RBI's over those 14 games (Votto and Phillips were in the lineup every day ahead of him) with Stubbs bettering him with 7 RBI's from the #1 spot. Those 8th and 9th spots for the REDS were horrendous with nobody getting on base in front of him, or he led off an inning because the pitcher made the last out or he led off the game.

    Stubbs scored 11 runs and Rolen just 7, understandably.

    Rolen batted:.. .315/.373/.333(ugly)/.706 with 1 measly extra-base hit....a double...and he's supposed to be the #5 RBI producer. I don't think so.

    Stubbs batted: .313/.333/.537/.870 with Four Homeruns, a Triple, and a Double!

    That's why they were able to go 12-2 over a 14 game stretch surrounded by a 7-20 record during the first 41 games of Rolen's arrival.

    The REDS went 6-14 during those first 20 games that Rolen arrived for. Some influence!!! A negative influence, if anything. But, in reality it was neither.

    Willy Taveras started 12 of those 20 games and Stubbs only played (started) in 4 of those 20 games.

    There's the difference. Pitchers knowing that Willy Taveras was behind you in the field and leading off at the plate versus that 14-game stretch where Stubbs was behind them in the field and leading off at the plate with no Willy Taveras to be found.

    Enough already with the "Scott Rolen" influence. There wasn't one and there isn't going to be one.

    There is a Drew-Stubbs-minus-Willy-Taveras influence, but it's on the field and at the plate, not in the minds of the players.

    Every player is trying to make as much money as they can and trying as hard as they can and no player is going to motivate them to do any better one way or the other. Their wife might. Their kids might. The Manager or Coach might. But, no player is going to make a difference mentally in the motivation department.

    The hole in your argument is that the Reds only played 40 games with Rolen.

    The REDS went 6-14 during those first 20 games that Rolen arrived for. Some influence!!! A negative influence, if anything. But, in reality it was neither.
    He was on the DL for 18 games, during which the Reds went 6-12. He played in 2 games, which were losses. Was hit in the head by a pitch, and went on the DL. THere is your 6-14.

    In games that Rolen played in, the Reds went 27-13. I would called that a positive effect.

    edit: Make that 27-15. I forgot about the first 2 games which were losses. So they actually played 42 games with Rolen. Not sure if he sat out any of them, don't feel like going through the box scores at work.
    Last edited by stripedwarrior; 12-21-2009 at 08:48 AM.

  6. #5
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Yeah, what's the point of this thread anyway? We already have a Rolen thread, put it in there.

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  7. #6
    RotoHester
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Posts
    493

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Yeah, morons. How dare anyone be excited about the possibilities of the upcoming season. Don't you know it's Reds-Country and we're suppose to simply expect to lose each season?

    Don't get excited about Rolen restructuring his contract to help out.

    Don't get excited about the record the club had since his arrival.

    Morons.

    This is Reds-country. Expect a season of 10 under baseball and everyone saying "yeah, well just wait til 2011."

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    You can't measure Rolen's effect on the rest of the team from the day he arrives. It would take a couple of weeks for him to begin to have an influence. (And that would be pretty miraculous to impact the team that quickly). To be fair, you have to give him a little time to establish himself with his new teammates. It's obvious that he made a huge difference. Plus you have comments from players like Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto saying that he did make that difference. Admit it or not, Rolen was a good move and a nice addition to the Redlegs.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    200

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Willy Taveras will be gone within the next couple weeks

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    71

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Willy Taveras will be gone within the next couple weeks
    We can only hope. If he is, then I'll toast that.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    163

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    What a stupid post. The fact that we now have a third baseman who can field his position and throw the ball to the first baseman is a hell of an upgrade over what we had. How many games did Encarnacion lose with his wild throws to first? Rolen is a class act and the Reds are lucky to have him. So many people on here fantasize about trades for great players around the league but the fact of the matter is that not that many great, established ballplayers are willing to come to Cincy. Rolen is one who wants to be here.

  12. #11
    Member Zimmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    77

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    With all due respect, your hate for rolen is out of control. While i wasnt thrilled at the time, he is a red and even at his age one of the better players on this current team. You can hate the trade and be pissed off but the daily bashing of a player is unreal. Ee isnt half the player that rolen is even at this stage in rolens career.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    38

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers View Post
    With all due respect, your hate for rolen is out of control. While i wasnt thrilled at the time, he is a red and even at his age one of the better players on this current team. You can hate the trade and be pissed off but the daily bashing of a player is unreal. Ee isnt half the player that rolen is even at this stage in rolens career.
    I agree totally......kingspoint needs to relax more and enjoy life...being a hater is really tiresome anyway......

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    857

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    Don't know where you found your Rolen stats but here were his numbers as a Red over 40 Games:

    7 Doubles
    1 Triple
    3 Homeruns
    24 RBIs
    19 Walks
    20 Strikeouts
    .270 Average
    .766 OPS

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    857

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    And here are Rolen's numbers over his last 10 Games:

    .344 Average
    1 Home Run
    10 RBIs
    11 Runs
    5 Walks
    3 Strikeouts

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368

    Re: There's an unwarranted misconception by many that Rolen's arrival helped the club

    I really agree that Rolen's arrival wasoverated, but after EE dismal performance almost anything would have been an improvement. Stubbs arrival also was also overated. But after Taveras once again almost anything would have been an improvement.

    Just a point for some to ponder. What Reds outfielder had the highest BA and OBP last season? He should be the starting centerfielder. I have no qualms about putting Stubbs in left.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25