Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Blue Jays To Acquire Brandon Morrow

Blue Jays To Acquire Brandon Morrow

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/1...on-morrow.html

By Tim Dierkes [December 21, 2009 at 10:41pm CST]

The Blue Jays and Mariners reached a tentative agreement on a swap that will send Brandon Morrow to the Blue Jays for Brandon League and a prospect, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Presumably it'd take a solid prospect to balance out the deal.

Morrow, 25, has a 3.96 ERA, 9.3 K/9, and 5.7 BB/9 in his 197.6-inning big league career. The hard-throwing righty was drafted fifth overall by the Mariners in '06. He made the team's Opening Day roster in '07 as a reliever, and stayed in that role to open the '08 season due to the Erik Bedard acquisition. He dealt with a shoulder injury that year. In August of '08 he transitioned to starting. Elbow issues surfaced in the spring of '09, but once healthy Morrow was back in the 'pen. He was sidelined by biceps tendinitis shortly thereafter, and it was back to starting in June. Morrow has a pretty serious injury history in his big league career; it's difficult to determine if the frequent role-switching was the cause or the effect. He is not yet arbitration-eligible and is under team control through 2013.

League, 27 in March, has a 4.09 ERA, 6.9 K/9, and 3.2 BB/9 in 202.3 career relief innings. League also throws in the mid-90s, and has a strong career groundball rate of 62%. He's had an up-and-down career, oddly posting his best peripherals in '09 (3.6 K/BB) alongside a 4.58 ERA. League had a shoulder injury that cost him most of '07. He's under team control through 2012.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays To Acquire Brandon Morrow

If the prospect is Stewart, I might burst a spleen.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If the M's land Stewart in this deal, wow. The M's are doing everything right this offseason.

Get rid of Bavasi...........start making smart moves. Coincidence?

Ya know, when I first loaded up Redzone and before signing in, the thread title read "Blue Jays to Acquire Brandon"...

Someone owes me a round of CPR.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    If the M's land Stewart in this deal, wow. The M's are doing everything right this offseason.
    The Yanks, Mariners and Nationals have all been busy making some pretty good moves. I think Baltimore made a bad move paying way too much for Garrett Atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Get rid of Bavasi...........start making smart moves. Coincidence?

Coincidence. I think not.

While nothing is official yet 20 year old outfield prospect Johermyn Chavez is believed to be the prospect headed to Seattle. He hit .283/.346/.474 with 21 home runs and 89 RBIs last year in low A ball.

What would have been the equivalent Reds offer? Juan Francisco and Micah Owings?

I would have done that for Morrow. Morrow would be a nice #4/5 starter option with upside, and would make a great setup man/closer complement to Masset if that didn't work out. Problem is, you actually need to be proactive to do such trades.
    Go BLUE!!!

A RH hard thrower is not high on our list of needs. I understand you can never have too much pitching and all but we need LH starting pitchers, a SS or two and offensive players like Francisco before we need RH setup guys or 4th/5th starters

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    A RH hard thrower is not high on our list of needs. I understand you can never have too much pitching and all but we need LH starting pitchers, a SS or two and offensive players like Francisco before we need RH setup guys or 4th/5th starters
    Disagree, especially if Harang is moved as rumored. Plus, with Rolen locked up and Frazier, Heisey, Balentien, and possibly Gomes, I'm not sure where Francisco fits into the equation. Throw in the Votto/Alonso situation for the future, and I'd sell high on Francisco if it would net a player like Morrow.
    I would trade two nickels for a dime all day, especially when that dime is cheap and the nickels are replaceable.

Or we can continue tinkering with the 25th man on the roster and just hope that all of our youngsters bloom into All-Stars.
    Go BLUE!!!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the starting pitching needs are as great, if not greater than SS/offensive players.

Could this be mostly a change of scenery type move? I wonder how much of this was about Morrow's talent and how much was about his head. From what I've heard, he has all the talent in the world--but the M's have been bouncing him back and forth between roles so much lately (sometimes at his own request) that you have to wonder whether both sides have soured on each other a bit.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Could this be mostly a change of scenery type move? I wonder how much of this was about Morrow's talent and how much was about his head. From what I've heard, he has all the talent in the world--but the M's have been bouncing him back and forth between roles so much lately (sometimes at his own request) that you have to wonder whether both sides have soured on each other a bit.
    I think this was about the Ms deciding Morrow's road to being a starter is fraught with too many perils...

He throws hard but has a straight fastball with poor secondary stuff. He can't get lefties out. He has physical issues which may make it impractical for him to carry a starter's load over the course of a season. And then there is his desire to develop as a starter-provided this development only occurs at the major league level.

Dave Cameron at USSM also weaves a theory that Morrow was a postponed part of the Lee-Halladay blockbuster which if true would color things as well...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?