Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Give me your depth charts for 2010, 2011, and 2012...

Re: Give me your depth charts for 2010, 2011, and 2012...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    With Valaika, Gomes, Heisey, and Frazier all in the equation for 2011, I thought I'd repost this and see someone else's lists.
    Not to mention Chapman, surging Mez and the (probable) addition of Grandal. My Depth Chart has definitely changed.
    C Hanigan/ Grandal or Mez- hard to say at this point who will be ready first
    1B Votto
    2B Valaika/ Frazier
    3B Frazier/ Rolen
    SS Acquisition/ Cozart
    LF Acquisition- Another Big Bat is needed and with Arroyo and Harang gone we have the money to spend.
    CF Stubbs/Heisey
    RF Jay Bruce
    Heisey backs up Right and Center see more PT in the latter. While Frazier plays a super utility role.

SP1. Volquez
    2. Cueto
    3. Leake
    4. Bailey
    5. Chapman
    Maybe a starter added in from Alonso trade but with the Chapman signing I don't think its necessary unless Volquez or Bailey struggle badly upon their returns and through 2011.

RP Wood/ Maloney
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Masset
    RP Joseph
    RP Acquisition
    RP Acquisition
    CL Acquisition

As for 2011 I would add Gomes to LF with Heisey backing him up, his option is way too cheap to pass up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Mesoraco will be ready first. There's just something that only time will help with when it comes to learning to be a professional Catcher. Grandal will have to pay his dues in High-A and AA.

You don't think Joseph will be the Closer in 2012?

2010 Major League Club:

C Hernandez ($3M)
    1B Votto (est $.48M)
    2B Phillips ($6.75M)
    3B Rolen ($7.67M)
    SS Janish (est $.4M) or Free Agent
    LF Dickerson (est $.44M)
    CF Stubbs (est $.44M)
    RF Bruce (est $.45M)
    UI Sutton (est $.44M)
    UO Heisey (est $.4M)

Mgr Baker ($3.5M)
    GM Jockety (Est $1.5M)

---Alonso gets traded the 10-11 Winter for Starting Pitching as there's no place to play all of the people that should be playing. If something strange happens to Votto or Alonso, then Alonso doesn't get traded.

---Phillips gets traded between July 1st 2010 and December 15th 2010 for Starting Pitching

2011 Major League Club:

C Hanigan (est $.48M)
    1B Votto (est $3M)
    2B Valaika (est $.48M)
    3B Rolen ($8.17M)
    SS Cozart (est $.4M)
    LF Stubbs (est $.48M)
    CF Heisey (est $.44M)
    RF Bruce (est $5M)
    UI Francisco (est $.5M)
    UO Frazier (est $.44M)

Mgr Sweet ($.8M)
    GM Jockety (Est $1.5M)

----Rolen is traded for minor leaguers the winter of 11-12, and REDS eat 2/3rd's of his salary of $8.17M

2012 Major League Club:

C Hanigan (est $.53M)
    1B Votto (est $5M)
    2B Valaika (est $.53M)
    3B Francisco (est $.48M)
    SS Cozart (est $.44M)
    LF Stubbs (est $.6M)
    CF Heisey (est $.5M)
    RF Bruce (est $3M)
    UI Soto (est $.4M)
    UO Frazier (est $.44M)

Mgr Sweet ($1M)
    GM Jockety (Est $1.5M)

Other than Shortstop, I see no need to add any position players over the next 3 seasons. Mesoraco takes over as the Starting Catcher in 2013.

That 2011 and 2012 lineups are courtesy of Dan O'Brien and Wayne Krivsky and is loaded with talented players near the peaks of their career (Ages 25-30), while 1 or two years away from either Free Agency or Arbitration. The 2012 squad has a lot of experience on it.

I do think our Starting Pitching prospects throughout our organization is extremely weak and thin (another reason the Stewart/Roenicke for Rolen trade was illogical). I hope Alonso and Phillips are both traded for Starting Pitching. Hopefully, we can ride Cueto, Volquez and Wood for through 2015. But, that's too risky. We need again that much talent to get us through 2015, as two or three of the six (Wood, Cueto, Volquez and 3 others yet to be determined, but hopefully 2 will be obtained for Phillips, Alonso and Harang/Arroyo) will fail or get seriously injured. It would be a blessing if Buck or Thompson got healthy after their repeated setbacks and could pitch for the Major League club in 2011 and/or 2012.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Now that Cozart has gotten the call, and is hopefully here to stay, thought I'd take a look back at how things are projecting.

1. Alonso didn't get traded last Winter, as he hadn't generated enough as a trade asset to justify trading him then. He has now. That trade should happen between now and before next season begins.

2. Phillips also didn't get traded as the REDS were in the thick of the playoff race last year, so it made sense to keep him for last year's run while waiting for Valaika to further develop (who's had a set-back this season).

3. Francisco's injuries have kept him from being that UI this season which Cairo has been doing for Baker. Plus, Cairo makes better contact, which Baker likes, so that has more to do with it than even the injuries.

4. Mesoraco has had a crazy development the last year, ever since (was it his hamate bone that needed to heal?) his injury finally got to be put behind him. He certainly looks like the 2nd Catcher with Hanigan for 2012, though that still puts him on base to take over as the Starter in 2013. So, he may actually be right where he's supposed to be. If he takes over as the Starter in 2012 over Hanigan, that would be a huge development. I see it more as a split, especially with Baker as Manager.

5. Sweet never got the job offer as Baker was resigned.

6. The need for more Starting Pitching (as yet unnamed at the time, but now named Leake, Bailey, and one more still to be named) is certainly true. As is true that 2 or 3 of those would fail or be injured (Volquez, Arroyo, Bailey even has been injured again, while Cueto missed the first six weeks of the season, while Wood has been sent back down.). Maybe Willis is #6.

7. The REDS have a huge decision to make: Let Phillips finish out his contract and let him walk after this year or trade him over the next month and get some pitching prospect(s)/veteran starter or reliever. Valaika's slow start this season has made this decision more difficult as has Janish's inability to get on base or hit the ball very hard when he does make contact, as moving Janish over to 2nd doesn't seem like a very good option right now.

8. Frazier never made the leap as the Utility Outfielder, but the REDS have several who could fill that position in Frazier, Hermida, and Sappelt.

9. Payroll on Votto and Bruce are higher, as Votto's MVP season guaranteed that, while the REDS secured Bruce for several seasons.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-07-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Who's looking like the Closer for 2012? Joseph went backwards this year.

Looks like the Reds may want to pick up that $12M option on Cordero.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-07-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Who's looking like the Closer for 2012? Joseph went backwards this year.

Looks like the Reds may want to pick up that $12M option on Cordero.
    Masset.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Masset.
    OK. Thanks. Well, that takes $12M off of the books for next year. We'll need it to offset Arroyo if he doesn't get any better (mono/vertigo/ineffectiveness). I'm pretty sure Arroyo's problems are related to his having never treated (bed-rest for two months) the mono. Arroyo should be shut down and placed on the 30-day and put into a hospital for those 30-days.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-07-2011 at 05:16 PM.

OK. Thanks. Well, that takes $12M off of the books for next year. We'll need it to offset Arroyo if he doesn't get any better (mono/vertigo/ineffectiveness). I'm pretty sure Arroyo's problems are related to his having never treated (bed-rest for two months) the mono. Arroyo should be shut down and placed on the 30-day and put into a hospital for those 30-days.
    I agree 100% with that and add in he has had some back stiffness which also has added to his problems. One of the telecasters pointed this out in a outing where he was getting shelled that his motion was very stiff and mentioned his back stiffness.

He certainly looks like the 2nd Catcher with Hanigan for 2012, though that still puts him on base to take over as the Starter in 2013
    Mes will be the #1 catcher in 2012. He and Hanigan may split time at first, but, I think it will be obvious pretty quickly that Mes should get the majority of the playing time. So, with the glacial pace that the Reds make changes, he'll start getting the majority of the playing time in September.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    C. Hernandez/Hanigan
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    3B Rolen
    SS Trade Acquisition
    LF Dickerson/Heisey
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce

SP1 Arroyo
    SP2 Cueto
    SP3 Bailey
    SP4 Maloney
    SP5 Wood or Acquisition
    SP6 Volquez
    CL Cordero
    Harang is traded along with Alonso going during this season or shortly after.

C. Hanigan/Hernandez
    1B Votto
    2B Frazier
    3B Rolen
    SS Acquisition/Cozart
    LF Heisey
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    Francisco/Valaika/Dickerson in large roles off the bench.

SP1 Arroyo
    SP2 Volquez
    SP3 Cueto
    SP4 Bailey
    SP5 Maloney/Leake/Wood
    CL Massett
    Phillips is traded as well as Alonso if he wasn't already.

C Hanigan/Mesoraco
    1B Votto
    2B Valaika
    3B Frazier
    SS Acquisition/ Cozart
    LF Heisey
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    Francisco plays large role off the bench with Rolen. Frazier goes more into a supersub role but logs the most time at 3B.

SP1 Volquez
    SP2 Cueto
    SP3 Bailey
    SP4 Leake
    SP5 Wood/Maloney
    CL. Massett
    nice call

Turn Off Ads?