Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways to Get Rid oF Taveras?

Ways to Get Rid oF Taveras?

Like to see the thoughts and creative ideas to get rid of waste.....Maybe jockety will finally see an idea that gets him out

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Ways to Get Rid oF Taveras?

I know some people who know some people who know some people who take care of this sort of thing.

Per Marty, he's currently 4th on the CF depth chart. Hopefully he doesn't have a ridiculous Spring and they cut him, or at least send him to AAA.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

thanx vottomatic this is the type of people we need

I think the most disappointing thing about Taveras was his lack of ability to steal bases, I didn't expect him to hit well, and actually figured he'd be pathetic in that area, but then he wasn't even good at stealing bases when he did get on base. That was the most shocking/disappointing thing about him to me. If he was like he used to be, he'd have some value just as a pinch runner of the bench, to get in scoring position in late game situations... That being said, he seemed to lose a step last year. If he couldn't steal bases, and I couldn't trade him, i'd just release him. He's pointless to have around.

I know where Tonya Harding lives.

From MLBtraderumors.com: Merkin notes that the Cubs, Nationals, and Reds had also expressed interest in Anderson
    That would be Brian Anderson. He of the lifetime 69+ OPS. His slash line reads (hold your nose) .229/.290/.370.

I am now convinced that Dusty has a clause in his contract that allows him to pick out one crappy centerfielder every winter and the Reds GM must sign that player to an inflated salary.

Brian Anderson escaped but we know there are others of similar (lack of) ability out there waiting by their phones for a call from area code 513.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I think the most disappointing thing about Taveras was his lack of ability to steal bases, I didn't expect him to hit well, and actually figured he'd be pathetic in that area, but then he wasn't even good at stealing bases when he did get on base. That was the most shocking/disappointing thing about him to me. If he was like he used to be, he'd have some value just as a pinch runner of the bench, to get in scoring position in late game situations... That being said, he seemed to lose a step last year. If he couldn't steal bases, and I couldn't trade him, i'd just release him. He's pointless to have around.
    I agree. If he showed the ability to take a walk, bunt himself on base, and cause problems for opponents with his base stealing, then he might have had some value. But he did none of the above. In fact, he was worse than I even expected. And his defense was pathetic.

I'd cut him too.

Who exactly does Marty say they have as 3rd on the depth chart in center?

I assume it's Stubbs, Dickerson, ???? , Taveras

Is it Nix?

Even before Taveras came to Cincy, he threw Hurdle under the bus by saying that they tried to change his swing. He was trying to justify his horrible 2008 by saying that they tried to make him hit the ball in the air. I knew he was lieing then and it wasnt long when the whole world saw he has a terrible swing and is basicly useless. He takes weird approaches to the ball while defending and is not good at anything he does.

So all that being said, I say since nobody wants him, let him be the guy who works on pickoff moves with the pitchers and catchers throwing out runners in ST. That should build their confidence going into the regular season

I never ever thought he could be as bad as he was in all facets of the game. His D was downright terrible. The only thing that remotely saved him from being worse than Griffey in CF for the White Sox was his ridiculous speed. Which only came in handy on his horrid reads on can of corn fly balls, because he never saw first base, and when he does, gets a 2 step lead and takes a horrible lead on a pitcher...

Anyone else feel like they could get a bigger lead than Taveras half the time?

I think it's possible, but I also think my lead could be half way to 2nd base, and he'd still beat me there with his lead, lol jk. He is just not a good player, I hope if he's around he gets his legs back under him this year, and can run. Gotta hope he was injured or something, I'd prefer him just not be around though.

I really don't see anyway the Reds could rid themselvelve of the contract now even if they pay his salary for a good prospect. With so many outfield free agents no club will be willing to give up anything for him. Besides even the speed is questionable seeing that he had leg problems last year. It was a horrible contract.

Changing the subject, on the old guard there have been those questioning Jockerty's tenure. With contracts like Lincoln and Taveras it is easy to see why.

Very true, he really hasn't done anything since being here honestly. All his moves have been minor to middle of the road type deals. Honeslty, I think Krivsky was a good guy if they weren't going to spend money because he seemed to be used to that system like in Minnesota, and had already landed players like Brandon Phillips, and Josh Hamilton who he was able to turn into Volquez when they needed to drop Hamilton. I'm indifferent on Jocketty, but I felt like Krivsky was doing a good job, and kind of got messed over.

Krivsky did a good job. Jocketty has done nothing. Yet Bob continues to make mistakes.

"We're just not going to lose anymore" Castellini said when he fired Krivsky. Yet apparently Dusty was BC's pick and he continues to keep him. Jocketty has been terrible, but they continue to keep him.

BC would be better off hiring someone good that if he didn't like him, he felt he could fire. I think his loyalty is keeping an unproductive manager and GM on this team.

Turn Off Ads?