Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball: The first 100 years, album

Baseball: The first 100 years, album

I just found this in a trunk today. The cover describes it as "Baseball: The First 100 Years, Official Centennial Record Album, narrated by James Stewart, Curt Gowdy."

It is a 33 1/3 RPM recording, produced by Fleetwood Communications Company."

Has anybody ever listened to this or know anything about it?

I have no record player, but have a couple of records my parents gave to me instead of throwing out, and I was surprised to see this one today, when I was putting something else away.

I've not found anything about it online after a quick search.

I've posted a scan of the cover on photobucket. Here it is

Last edited by UKFlounder; 12-26-2009 at 09:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball: The first 100 years, album

Found one for sale on EBay for $14 HERE.

It is from 1969, and the EBay seller text says "THIS IS A 1969 RELEASE FROM FLEETWOOD RECORS NARRATED BY JIMMY STEWART AND CURT GOWDY . IT IS A 33 SPEED ALBUM WITH AUDIO HIGHLIGHTS OF BASEBALL HISTORY- GEHRIG'S SPEECH , LARSEN PERFECT GAME , ETC. THE ALBUM COVER IS MADE OF HARD CARDBOARD AND HAS HELD UP PRETTY WELL."
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Haunted by walks

Wasn't Jimmy Stewart a utility infielder for the Reds? Or was that someone else?

I had that album when I was a kid but it was given away or lost a long time ago. A shame.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

MLB's centennial was in 1969. I watched game 4 of the '69 Miracle Mets-Orioles WS on MLB Network yesterday and they mentioned it several times.

Curt Gowdy was one of the TV announcers. I used to think he was just a Red Sox homer given his '75 WS announcing performance. But evidently it was an AL-wide thing the way he pumped up the Orioles and poor-mouthed the Mets.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    MLB's centennial was in 1969. I watched game 4 of the '69 Miracle Mets-Orioles WS on MLB Network yesterday and they mentioned it several

Yep, they wore a patch it's on Steve's shoulder

TSN had a 100th anniversity issue that I have.

The 1939 patch for 100 years since the mythical birth of baseball was nicer than the 100 years since 1869

Turn Off Ads?