Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Major college football news just broke that Urban Meyer will be stepping down as Florida coach. Don't know if he will coach in the Sugar Bowl or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Health reasons, and he will coach the Sugar Bowl.

Cincy gon get killed.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bow
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

I do not like Florida, and I am not a fan of Urban, but he will certainly be in my prayers as this must be a very serious situation for him to retire/resign.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

wow, just heard this. I've gotta say, I admire Urban for this move. Too many guys neglect things like their health and family to coach.

Good luck to him in whatever he does, although I hope he goes out on a loss.
    Witty signature.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow, the Sugar Bowl just keeps getting more and more interesting. I wish Urban all the best with his health and his family and I hope things go well for him. I agree that it must be something serious for him to step down from coaching.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Charlie Strong may have left a lil early.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Obviously he doesn't want to share the details, or he would have, but I'm curious what the circumstances are.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He has a (documented/well reported) brain cyst that manifested itself when he was at ND and was diagnosed when he was at Utah. Chances are that, combined with more and more stress, it's impacting his life more than he's willing to let it, so he's trying to reduce the stress.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    He has a (documented/well reported) brain cyst that manifested itself when he was at ND and was diagnosed when he was at Utah. Chances are that, combined with more and more stress, it's impacting his life more than he's willing to let it, so he's trying to reduce the stress.
    It's being reported he told the players he has a heart condition. When he was admitted after the SEC game, it was for chest pains.

Wow, this is too bad for college football. The guy is a phenomenal coach.

I hope he makes it through this and finds his way into the coaching ranks again. But given that he didn't take a leave, but actually stepped down, does not sound promising.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Charlie Strong may have left a lil early.
    Charlie Strong hasn't signed a formal contract with Louisville according to ESPN. It's a "term sheet" I believe. Florida could bring him back to coach but I doubt it.

Some of the names being floated out:

Dan Mullen (Mississippi St head coach, former OC under Meyer)
    Charlie Strong (see above)
    Mike Shanahan
    Bob Stoops (Was a coordinator under Spurrier but has been VERY loyal to Oklahoma)
    Bobby Petrino

It is certainly a shame though. Meyer IMO could have cemented himself as possibly one of the greatest coaches in college football if he hasn't already done so. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with him and his family as they deal with these issues. Hopefully it is resolved and he could make a return to coaching one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Can't see Stoops leaving Oklahoma. If he was interested in leaving Notre Dame would have paid him a fortune, more than Florida could pay. He passed.

Petrino is a scumbag, Florida would be smart to steer away from him.

I'd love to see him return to college coaching one day. UC homer glass on.....his parents live in Blue Ash, his sister works at UC, would be a lot less stress here. Homer glasses off.

In reality, they say it's not life threatening, but if it was a situation where he needed some time off to get well, I'm sure Florida would have given him the time off. With the health stuff, it could be he just isn't interested in doing it anymore. Already won a couple national titles, and he's got more than enough money to last his family the rest of their lives. Why put up with the stress, and it making the health issues worse, when you don't have to? I couldn't blame him for retiring and living the good life.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As someone who dealt this holiday season with a family member having health issues, I'm glad that Urban is putting his health and family first.

He's accomplished great things as a coach, but I'm sure he wants to be around to see grandkids grow up way more than he wants another national championship.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Prayers to Urban and his family, no doubt.

I am very intrigued to see who UF goes after...Butch Davis would be on my short list...I don't know how settled in he is at UNC though.

Turn Off Ads?