Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

There are some ugly rumors out there that have been wearing on him also.

Who knows the truth.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let Tressell hold down the fort for 5-7 more years at OSU while Meyer can recharge (this time for real) then roll out the red carpet for Urban in Columbus.

Having said that, I have a feeling something is going on with Meyer that we don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Let Tressell hold down the fort for 5-7 more years at OSU while Meyer can recharge (this time for real) then roll out the red carpet for Urban in Columbus.

Having said that, I have a feeling something is going on with Meyer that we don't know about.
    It kind of sounds like Tressel is going to be retiring in the next few years. My guess is 2013 or 2014 at the latest.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It kind of sounds like Tressel is going to be retiring in the next few years. My guess is 2013 or 2014 at the latest.
    I originally wrote "in a few years" but went the conservative route and wrote 5-7 years, lest I be accused of pushing him out the door. Can't ever win on here.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I originally wrote "in a few years" but went the conservative route and wrote 5-7 years, lest I be accused of pushing him out the door. Can't ever win on here.
    lol yea there's always someone waiting to pounce on an every word
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

What are the ugly rumors?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What are the ugly rumors?
    Think sorority types, or at least gender of that age.

Forget OSU, he needs to come back and coach at his alma mater, UC. : Seriously though, I wouldn't be suprised to see him as a commentator for a year or two and then right back onto the sidelines somewhere unless his health is worse than has been reported. From what I've seen, coaches have a hard time staying away from the sideline. You always hear how they want to spend time with their families, but football always seems to creep back in.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Forget OSU, he needs to come back and coach at his alma mater, UC. : Seriously though, I wouldn't be suprised to see him as a commentator for a year or two and then right back onto the sidelines somewhere unless his health is worse than has been reported. From what I've seen, coaches have a hard time staying away from the sideline. You always hear how they want to spend time with their families, but football always seems to creep back in.
    I don't know that he'd make a very good commentator. He doesn't seem to ooze with personality

I don't buy this 'want to spend time with my family' stuff or 'he's just not into it'. I think its all a front for what's really going on. And when IU announces him as their next head football coach before next year I will be proven right.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't buy this 'want to spend time with my family' stuff or 'he's just not into it'. I think its all a front for what's really going on. And when IU announces him as their next head football coach before next year I will be proven right.

Maybe Urban knows Tressel is retiring after 2011 and figured he'd take a year off and then could jump to Ohio State without having to leave Florida. I jest, of course.

Who knows if he really wants to spend time with his family or if there is something darker going on. Personally I don't want to find out if it is the latter. However I would doubt this is the last we see/hear from Urban Meyer. He is only 46 an even if he took a 5-7 years off while his kids got through high school and went to college he'll still be relatively young and could give a top program a decade or more of service.

Retired

I wouldn't be suprised in the least if he's the head coach of Florida for game 1 next season. He's pulled this little stunt before, Meyer is getting to be a drama queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I wouldn't be suprised in the least if he's the head coach of Florida for game 1 next season. He's pulled this little stunt before, Meyer is getting to be a drama queen.
    Or he's getting to be a guy facing legitimate health issues and is having a hard time reconciling health against his passion.

I imagine somewhere in life you've faced that issue too, right? Or at least, a similar challenge? The difference here is that we don't live in the public persona, so our predicament doesn't have to play out in the media's eye.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Or he's getting to be a guy facing legitimate health issues and is having a hard time reconciling health against his passion.

I imagine somewhere in life you've faced that issue too, right? Or at least, a similar challenge? The difference here is that we don't live in the public persona, so our predicament doesn't have to play out in the media's eye.
    I don't see it as being that difficult if he has major health issues. Meyer is rich, he has more than enough money to last him for the rest of his life, and his kids lives. If there is/was a serious medical issue, and the coaching life style could lead to major problems or death, it's not a hard choice.

He isn't poor, he doesn't need the money, and he's already won a couple national titles. What is left to prove? Perhaps it's just me, but if it's a medical decision, the choice is an easy one. I would have believed it was medical related if he stayed "retired" for more than 24 hours the last time he announced it. Now that we are on round #2 of this, color me skeptical.

Turn Off Ads?