Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    "family reasons" seems to be a good umbrella.

Health reasons made him slow down last year and question what the hell is he killing himself for. And he looked around and saw his family was moving on without him and he was missing out on it (and once that era of you life is gone, its gone). His doc said "you're not doing yourself any favors by burning the candle at both ends". And then he looked at his bank account and saw he had enough money to last a few lifetimes.

He struggled and tried to reconcile all this and what popped out the end of the equation was "quit, you dummy".

He's a man trying to live his life like all the rest of us.
    Pretty much all of that applied last time around, too. But then he had that emotional "what have I done?" reflex the next day when he went back out to practice. I guess he eventually realized he was right the first time.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    "family reasons" seems to be a good umbrella.

Health reasons made him slow down last year and question what the hell is he killing himself for. And he looked around and saw his family was moving on without him and he was missing out on it (and once that era of you life is gone, its gone). His doc said "you're not doing yourself any favors by burning the candle at both ends". And then he looked at his bank account and saw he had enough money to last a few lifetimes.

He struggled and tried to reconcile all this and what popped out the end of the equation was "quit, you dummy".

He's a man trying to live his life like all the rest of us.
    I want to say that Meyer will end up a candidate for the Denver Broncos at seasons end, but with the whole McDaniels mess and letting a popular coach go before that, Pat Bowlen will have to make a home run hire to keep the Broncos from falling even further.

I'm with WMR, I don't see Strong being a top candidate. I think it will be Mullen, which will be a mistake that Florida will be rectifying in three more years. I'd make an offer to Chris Peterson though, since it worked before with Urban Meyer, a similar result may happen with Peterson.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If Meyer takes a coaching job in the next 6-12 months, then everything I said flies out the window and I'll consider him an amoral slimeball like all the rest. I just hope he goes the Bill Cowher route and spends time with his family.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I want to say that Meyer will end up a candidate for the Denver Broncos at seasons end, but with the whole McDaniels mess and letting a popular coach go before that, Pat Bowlen will have to make a home run hire to keep the Broncos from falling even further.

I'm with WMR, I don't see Strong being a top candidate. I think it will be Mullen, which will be a mistake that Florida will be rectifying in three more years. I'd make an offer to Chris Peterson though, since it worked before with Urban Meyer, a similar result may happen with Peterson.
    I don't think he'll be a candidate for any head coaching job next year. I take him at his word that he needs a break. Why don't you believe him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think he'll be a candidate for any head coaching job next year. I take him at his word that he needs a break. Why don't you believe him?
    Nothing would surprise me. When you see so many coaches do 180's its not even funny you really don't know what to expect.

I see Urban returning to coaching. Maybe not next year, but sometime down the road. Same with Bill Cowher, and it could be as early as this year. I'm predicting he ends up in Carolina.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Nothing would surprise me. When you see so many coaches do 180's its not even funny you really don't know what to expect.

I see Urban returning to coaching. Maybe not next year, but sometime down the road. Same with Bill Cowher, and it could be as early as this year. I'm predicting he ends up in Carolina.
    I see him returning to coaching too but not next year. If he gets hired by the Broncos he'd be on the job a month from now. He shows all the signs of being burned out ala Dick Vermeil after his Eagles gig. I take him at his word that he needs to get away from coaching for awhile. I don't see him getting hired to coach anyone other than his kid's teams in 2011

He probably won't coach next year or possibly even the year after but he'll be back. He's 46, what is he going to do with the rest of his life, play golf? Even the aforementioned Vermeil came back to coaching with pretty good results. When he gets his batteries recharged, someone's going to throw a ton of money at him to run their show. It's not an indictment of him. I think he honestly is burned out now. 2-3 years from now might be a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I have never been a big Urban Meyer fan. I have alwyas felt he was a "drama queen" crying and whining to get in the BCS Title game agaisnt OSU, retiring and then unretiring in the matter of 24 hours, and then a year later retiring again.

I am not a person to admire football coaches. There are a few than I really do admire, one being Jim Tressel. Obviously it has a lot to do with his record on the field, but also the way he handles himself on and off the field. From my perspective he is just a class individual and one that should be looked up to. Now back to Meyer. At UF he ran a very successful, albiet rogue program. Tebow hid a lot of the internal player personal problems that Meyer had. One of the more disturbing was allowing a player to play who had been arrested for texting his girlfriend "time to die".

If Meyer really means it and stays retired for a number of years as his children grow up then good for his family. He is one of the few people in America who have the financial ability to do so. There are millions of people throughout this country who would love to do what Meyer is doing. There are people who work 40-50 hours a week, with health aliments, in order to provide for their family. Urban is lucky, does that make him a good man? I don't know.

How as Florida a "rogue" program?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Having said that, I have a feeling something is going on with Meyer that we don't know about.
    I tend to think he doesn't take disappointment well.

That makes an incredibly hard 24/7/365 job just that much harder.

I don't know how these guys have families or any relationships at all. When you've got a great family and a great job and lots of money (so you don't need the job any more) but not enough time to do all of them well, it wears on you and robs the joy in both.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have never been a big Urban Meyer fan. I have alwyas felt he was a "drama queen" crying and whining to get in the BCS Title game agaisnt OSU, retiring and then unretiring in the matter of 24 hours, and then a year later retiring again.

I am not a person to admire football coaches. There are a few than I really do admire, one being Jim Tressel. Obviously it has a lot to do with his record on the field, but also the way he handles himself on and off the field. From my perspective he is just a class individual and one that should be looked up to. Now back to Meyer. At UF he ran a very successful, albiet rogue program. Tebow hid a lot of the internal player personal problems that Meyer had. One of the more disturbing was allowing a player to play who had been arrested for texting his girlfriend "time to die".

If Meyer really means it and stays retired for a number of years as his children grow up then good for his family. He is one of the few people in America who have the financial ability to do so. There are millions of people throughout this country who would love to do what Meyer is doing. There are people who work 40-50 hours a week, with health aliments, in order to provide for their family. Urban is lucky, does that make him a good man? I don't know.
    Someone is still mad about the national championship game it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I tend to think he doesn't take disappointment well.
    That's quite a supposition.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Will Muschamp? Really?

Who had him as the new coach?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Will Muschamp? Really?

Who had him as the new coach?
    I read that and thought "When did Florida hire him away from Texas to be defensive coordinator?" Then I saw head coach and really scratched my head.

I'm guessing for Muschamp to finally leave Texas he must have realized that Mack Brown is ultimately going to fall given the pressure in Texas and the collapse this season and decided to jump ship. How many coaching jobs did Muschamp turn down?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How as Florida a "rogue" program?
    During Meyer's tenure, there were tons of off field legal issues. During Urban's tenure there were 30 arrests. You read that right, 30. That is 6 arrests a year, some for fairly serious crimes.

Turn Off Ads?