Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Sources: Muschamp annoyed with Mack Brown.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/254290

Sources: Health risks forced Meyer to step down.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/254330

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm guessing for Muschamp to finally leave Texas he must have realized that Mack Brown is ultimately going to fall given the pressure in Texas and the collapse this season and decided to jump ship. How many coaching jobs did Muschamp turn down?
    Muschamp was already designated as Brown's successor at Texas, though. No reason to leave Texas, unless a job just as good came along and he could have it sooner rather than later.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    During Meyer's tenure, there were tons of off field legal issues. During Urban's tenure there were 30 arrests. You read that right, 30. That is 6 arrests a year, some for fairly serious crimes.
    I knew he was something pretty outstanding just didn't know the figures. The National Media was so fixated on Tim Tebow that all of UF issues got swept under the rug. During Meyer's time at UF he made the Bengals look like chior boys.

As for the comment about being upset about the Florida whooping on OSU. I got over that a long time ago. I just remember Meyer almost in tears lobbing for the other BCS bid.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I tend to think he doesn't take disappointment well.

That makes an incredibly hard 24/7/365 job just that much harder.

I don't know how these guys have families or any relationships at all. When you've got a great family and a great job and lots of money (so you don't need the job any more) but not enough time to do all of them well, it wears on you and robs the joy in both.
    Or you could have a severe cardiovascular risk. I don't fault him for not discussing it, but one could sense there was an underlying issue not mentioned.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I knew he was something pretty outstanding just didn't know the figures. The National Media was so fixated on Tim Tebow that all of UF issues got swept under the rug. During Meyer's time at UF he made the Bengals look like chior boys.

As for the comment about being upset about the Florida whooping on OSU. I got over that a long time ago. I just remember Meyer almost in tears lobbing for the other BCS bid.
    The national media overlooked a lot of things at Florida during Meyer's tenure. The double standard is amazing. Look at how many other programs have, or had, the wrap of being "dirty", or were slammed for off the field/court issues. UC, for one, UK (not that I'm a UK supporter : ) and many others. Yet Florida has had 30 arrests involving football players in the last 5 years, and the media was ready to nominate Meyer for sainthood. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    During Meyer's tenure, there were tons of off field legal issues. During Urban's tenure there were 30 arrests. You read that right, 30. That is 6 arrests a year, some for fairly serious crimes.
    Here are the particulars:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...nor-possession

Rather ugly.

As to Muschamp, kinda suspect of him leaving Texas, but it makes me even more suspect of Mack Brown.

But if you want a little giggle search Youtube for "Will Muschamp cussing."

That will be my lasting thought of Mr. Muschamp.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Muschamp was already designated as Brown's successor at Texas, though. No reason to leave Texas, unless a job just as good came along and he could have it sooner rather than later.
    I understand Muschamp was the "coach in waiting", but Texas took a major step backward this year and a lot of heat could be applied to Mack Brown for that. If Texas continues into a downward spiral, Mack Brown and his entire coaching staff (Muschamp included) could have been on the way out.

To me its more of a "get out now" type of deal for Muschamp. He knows that something is wrong in Austin and decided to jump ship. He was courted by Tennessee last season and turned it down. That should say something.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I understand Muschamp was the "coach in waiting", but Texas took a major step backward this year and a lot of heat could be applied to Mack Brown for that. If Texas continues into a downward spiral, Mack Brown and his entire coaching staff (Muschamp included) could have been on the way out.

To me its more of a "get out now" type of deal for Muschamp. He knows that something is wrong in Austin and decided to jump ship. He was courted by Tennessee last season and turned it down. That should say something.
    If Mack Brown is in trouble, that was incentive for Muschamp to stay, not leave. As I remember it, Muschamp's contract was the typical head-coach-in-waiting deal: (1) You will be the successor when the head coach's job comes open for whatever reason. (2) If we decide not to give you the job when it comes open, you will receive a trainload of cash.

I'm sure there were caveats for exceptional circumstances, but the whole point of those deals is to encourage the HCIW to stick around until it's time. If Texas could clean house without giving Muschamp the job or the money, then the HCIW deal wouldn't have been worth the paper it was written on.

And anyway, not taking the Tennessee job last year was just good sense for any coach who felt secure in his profession. It's been a good job and it will be a good job again (although Florida is still better in absolute terms due to recruiting base etc.), but the Vols were such a mess after Kiffin left, the rebuilding couldn't even get started until the crime-scene cleanup was finished.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

This is a terrible hire, he'll get a well deserved ax in 2 years.

The Gator-haters should be toasting this one, I bet he can even lose to Kentucky
    Go Gators!

That could be true. However, I believe that he doesn't think Mack is going anywhere any time soon. A lot of these guys you have to get out of their head coaching gig with a forklift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My initial thought was How is the Gator faithful going to react to a defensive coordinator getting the HC job? He may turn out to be a great HC but I think this may be a big miss for Florida like the Ron Zook hiring was a few years ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This is a terrible hire, he'll get a well deserved ax in 2 years.

The Gator-haters should be toasting this one, I bet he can even lose to Kentucky
    It didn't happen under Ron Zook, so id venture to say that record is safe until the talent level in Gainesville takes a significant hit.

Some Kentucky fans are blaming Florida for hiring Muschamp to keep UK from hiring Randy Shannon as defensive coordinator. Shannon was on his way until the Muschamp hire and then backed out and is supposedly heading to Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?