Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

I don't see then asking Strong. Florida is maybe the top job in the country. You don't give that to a guy that's never been a head coach. The Mullen thing makes some sense. I know he signed a big TV contract, but you have to wonder about Gruden also.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was listening to ESPN radio in the car a few minutes ago and Dennis Franchione was talking about the stress for a coach at Urban's level. He was saying that it gets to a point for some where the wins are just a relief and the losses are devastating. He said from what he saw of Meyer the last few weeks of the season, he thinks he was at that point.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    He has a (documented/well reported) brain cyst that manifested itself when he was at ND and was diagnosed when he was at Utah. Chances are that, combined with more and more stress, it's impacting his life more than he's willing to let it, so he's trying to reduce the stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I was listening to ESPN radio in the car a few minutes ago and Dennis Franchione was talking about the stress for a coach at Urban's level. He was saying that it gets to a point for some where the wins are just a relief and the losses are devastating. He said from what he saw of Meyer the last few weeks of the season, he thinks he was at that point.
    He's scheduled to give a press conference today; but I think you guy's have nailed the "why?"...... STRESS.

Not saying he may not have other physical ailments; but I bet behind it all is stress, which can severely complicate matters.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Would Tony Dungy be a legitimate candidate? He is a great molder of men and would be a great fit if interested.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Meyer has now changed it to a leave of absence, leaving the door open to a return.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Meyer has now changed it to a leave of absence, leaving the door open to a return.
    This is solely JMO, but if I were Florida, I would seriously look at attracting somebody who could fill in as an associate head coach. Somebody who could fill in for Meyer if needed and could alleviate his stress. He has lost two of his top coordinators to head coaching jobs and I could see that even taking a toll.

A lot of programs have somebody who could run the program in that situation, but most of them are older coaches such as Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, and Rich Brooks. Mack Brown has Will Muschamp lined up as his successor but I don't know if that really qualifies. Just don't see how beneficial it is to have Addazio, who is in his first year as offensive coordinator at Florida, running the show in Meyer's absence.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This has a Coach K-Pete Gaudet feel to it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Will the ongoing uncertainty as to Meyer's status be worse for the program in the short term than his sticking with his original decision?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Retired

Will the ongoing uncertainty as to Meyer's status be worse for the program in the short term than his sticking with his original decision?
    I'm betting he's back for the first game of the 2010 season.

I hope he knows what he's doing. He's already rich, and got a couple national title rings. Nothing left to prove, and it isn't worth dying over.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Would Tony Dungy be a legitimate candidate? He is a great molder of men and would be a great fit if interested.
    Dungy has no interest in coaching at this time. He loves what he is doing for NBC and has stated so. Florida definitely is stuck between a rock and a hard place on what they should do. Do you hire a long term replacement (Big name) or promote from within and watch recruiting possibly suffer. Should be an interesting off season in college football.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Dungy has no interest in coaching at this time. He loves what he is doing for NBC and has stated so. Florida definitely is stuck between a rock and a hard place on what they should do. Do you hire a long term replacement (Big name) or promote from within and watch recruiting possibly suffer. Should be an interesting off season in college football.
    Big names aren't going to leave an established program if Urban is waiting in the wings and going to take over again at some point. Guys like that don't take temporary gigs.

Since he's just taking a leave, I don't think they have much choice, one of the current guys will run things until Meyer returns.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Could actually be better -- they can sell recruits that Meyer is only going away for the offseason and will probably be back in the fall.

In fact, the cynic in me almost wants to believe that Meyer "changed his mind" to protect the recruiting class and will make the decision to really resign after national signing day.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I watched the ESPN interview with Meyer tonight and I was really impressed with the guy. I didn't have a negative perception of him before, but I definitely think higher of him now than previously.

He talked in detail about how much the job consumed his life giving specific examples of times in his life when he was out doing something else and couldn't stop thinking about 3rd and 6. Given some of the specifics he mentioned regarding the health problems he had this year, I only hope that he's able to fully step away for a while. My fear would be that if he is just taking a leave, he won't be able to fully relax and remove the stress as he will still feel an obligation to the program. If he fully resigned, it would be easy to completely release himself from responsibility and the stress.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sounds like a similiar situation to Dick Vermeil back in the early 80's when he left Philly. Stress of the game just got to be too much for him as he overworked himself to burnout.

I have to think some fellow coaches will use this against Florida on the recruiting trail.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I remember reading this article at SI a few weeks back and thinking "this guy needs to take a break". Intense doesn't begin to describe him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3435/index.htm
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?