Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Re: Urban Meyer stepping down as Florida coach

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't see it as being that difficult if he has major health issues. Meyer is rich, he has more than enough money to last him for the rest of his life, and his kids lives. If there is/was a serious medical issue, and the coaching life style could lead to major problems or death, it's not a hard choice.

He isn't poor, he doesn't need the money, and he's already won a couple national titles. What is left to prove? Perhaps it's just me, but if it's a medical decision, the choice is an easy one. I would have believed it was medical related if he stayed "retired" for more than 24 hours the last time he announced it. Now that we are on round #2 of this, color me skeptical.
    What does money have to do with it? Coaching is a passion for these guys. Trust me, they're putting in 16 and 17-hour days. They're not doing it for the money, and if they are, they wouldn't last long anyhow.

He's having a hard time getting away from it because he loves coaching. It's a passion. Money is irrelevant. He's not having a hard time walking away because of money.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Time to put Louisville on suicide watch...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    What does money have to do with it? Coaching is a passion for these guys. Trust me, they're putting in 16 and 17-hour days. They're not doing it for the money, and if they are, they wouldn't last long anyhow.

He's having a hard time getting away from it because he loves coaching. It's a passion. Money is irrelevant. He's not having a hard time walking away because of money.
    It's relevant because he doesn't need to work, he can afford not to.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I know, I need to cruise over to a Ville forum and watch the meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    It's relevant because he doesn't need to work, he can afford not to.
    Again, let me ask you, have you ever been able to easily walk away from something you enjoy--even if it were a hobby--just because you could "afford to?"

I really can't buy that argument. This has nothing to do with money. Again, he's having a hard time walking away because he loves coaching. It's not about whether has the money to do it or not, it's about not wanting to stop coaching. Money has nothing to do with it. It's about maintaining health versus doing something you love. Isn't that a concept that we can all relate to?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Starkville, more like.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Retired

Forde slams Meyer in his new ESPN piece.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...pat&id=5900096

Forde has always been a complete tool. Who the hell is he to question most of what he questions in that hack job? He's the stereotypical hack who wishes he was Urban Meyer but doesn't have the talent. He needs to get over himself.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Forde has always been a complete tool. Who the hell is he to question most of what he questions in that hack job? He's the stereotypical hack who wishes he was Urban Meyer but doesn't have the talent. He needs to get over himself.
    I lost him when he said Texas and UF are the top 2 gigs in NCAA football.

I like Charlie Strong and would not want him to leave, but I don't think him getting called away would be a tragedy. Assuming Jurich doesn't rehire Steve Kragthorpe, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Given resources, fan support, growing population shift to the south, recruiting bases, etc., I actually agree with him.

I would put it as Texas, Florida then Ohio State. I would listen to an argument for Ohio State over Florida because of being the only major school in a football state, but I really have always felt UT and UF are the top two programs as far as sustainability.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Alabama is still the best job in college football (and the worst, if you don't win). Then Florida. Jobs in the next tier... OSU, Southern Cal, Texas, Oklahoma...

BTW: I don't think Strong is a serious candidate for the UF head coaching gig. Mullen seems the clear choice.
    Last edited by WMR; 12-09-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    He's a tool because he questions Meyer's intentions? I thought it was a fair piece.

If I were Dan Mullen, I'd rather be the guy that replaces the guy who replaces Urban Meyer.

Win at Mississippi State and move on after that. Let a Ron Zook type flub for a while.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

"family reasons" seems to be a good umbrella.

Health reasons made him slow down last year and question what the hell is he killing himself for. And he looked around and saw his family was moving on without him and he was missing out on it (and once that era of you life is gone, its gone). His doc said "you're not doing yourself any favors by burning the candle at both ends". And then he looked at his bank account and saw he had enough money to last a few lifetimes.

He struggled and tried to reconcile all this and what popped out the end of the equation was "quit, you dummy".

He's a man trying to live his life like all the rest of us.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?