Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bengals/Jets moved to Sunday Night

Re: Bengals/Jets moved to Sunday Night

I don't really think there's much of a difference between the 3rd-8th best teams in the AFC, so, in that sense, someone was going to get a gift of some sort, whether it was by luck of the schedule the way the Jets got it, or just by having an easier overall schedule, or just by getting a few more lucky bounces.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The only thing I am embarrassed about is Rex Ryan walking around smiling and slapping everyone like they were the smartest coaches and the best team in the league, esp. after the TD right before halftime off the wildcat, with his belly arriving five minutes before the rest of him. His jubilation looked like "man, we really snookered 'em tonight," when he basically was the recipient of the good fortune of playing two playoff bound teams laying down in consecutive weeks.

He just looks like one annoying dude. Glad he has nothing to do with any team I care about.
    Marvin knows Ryan pretty well, having worked with him as a young coach in Baltimore. What I though was somewhat interesting is that Ryan didn't call off the dogs. He continued playing his starters, running different formations, playing hard even when it was pretty evident that the game was over. I may be incorrect but it seemed like he showed his entire hand whereas the Bengals pretty much showed nothing. Its awfully tough to get your head into a game when you coach is resting players.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Without a doubt the Bengals didn't want to see Pittsburgh or Houston.
    IMO, a team playing for a championship should have a mindset of wanting to beat the best, not dictating an easier route.

Personally, I can't find anything positive from a 37-0 thrashing against a team you play for real the following week. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I just see this whole idea of teams laying down the last few weeks of the season as diminishing the game and unnecessary.

Just a few weeks ago, the Colts were playing for an undefeated season. Now, they've played two weeks of preseason football and have a bye week before they play again. IMO, it's going to be tough for them to come out in two weeks with that same intensity and rhythm.

What do I know though? I'm just a monday morning quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    IMO, a team playing for a championship should have a mindset of wanting to beat the best, not dictating an easier route.

Personally, I can't find anything positive from a 37-0 thrashing against a team you play for real the following week. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I just see this whole idea of teams laying down the last few weeks of the season as diminishing the game and unnecessary.

Just a few weeks ago, the Colts were playing for an undefeated season. Now, they've played two weeks of preseason football and have a bye week before they play again. IMO, it's going to be tough for them to come out in two weeks with that same intensity and rhythm.

What do I know though? I'm just a monday morning quarterback.
    The Bengals already knew Houston was a bad matchup and wanted no part of that again. I don't know what is modern about getting to handpick your opponent. Sometimes "old fashioned" is just machismo, and that is something that gets men into trouble all the time
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Collinsworth really angered me tonight with his constant Bengals bashing. It's as if he had no clue whatsoever.
    He has to act like the Bengals were trying. It doesn't look good for NBC if they tell people midway through the first quarter, welp one team didn't care enough to show up tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    He has to act like the Bengals were trying. It doesn't look good for NBC if they tell people midway through the first quarter, welp one team didn't care enough to show up tonight.
    Collinsworth certainly accomplished increasing the size of the Jets bandwagon. One wouldn't know that they were sliding in due to good fortune after being just 7-7 and left for dead by their own Bad Santa coach. Hopefully the Jets think more of themselves after the last two wins and experience the season killer known as overconfidence.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Colts lost to Buffalo 30-7, I would suppose they are in trouble as well.
    Futhermore...

The Cowboys beat the Eagles 24-0, and the Eagles had everything in the world to play for. They had a shot at a #2 seed, a bye week, and a home game after that.

Also, the Cardinals lost 33-7 at home to the Packers, and those two will tee it up on the same field again this weekend.

The only reason the Bengals game got the attention it did is because it was the Sunday night game. The media and fans wouldn't be making as big a deal out of it if it had been a 1:00pm game.

And I agree with traderumor's comments about Ryan. Their actions were pretty brazen, and may very well come back to haunt them this Saturday.

As for the Jets "having momentum" or being "fired up", all that goes out of the window by the time the second series of the game is played.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Hopefully the Jets think more of themselves after the last two wins and experience the season killer known as overconfidence.
    It's certainly possible. If they are indeed "riding high" after beating two teams who played them as if it were a pre-season game, more power to them and they are in for a shock this coming weekend.

I must say, Cincinnati football took a severe beating between the Bengals laying a huge egg last night and UC getting totally and utterly outclassed in the Sugar Bowl.

Its one thing to do it in the privacy of a regionally cogvered game, but both were in prime time and under the spotlight. Plain old ugly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

If the Bengals weren't trying and didn't care if they won or lost, why were ANY starters out there? It should have been all 2nd/3rd stringers, all game, especially in that weather.

Either way it reflects poorly on Marvin and the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    If the Bengals weren't trying and didn't care if they won or lost, why were ANY starters out there? It should have been all 2nd/3rd stringers, all game, especially in that weather.

Manning has played parts of the last two games against the Jets and the Bills. So did Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne. Brady stayed in for a few quarters against the Texans as well, as did Moss and unfortunately Welker. I think it probbaly has more to do with offensive players needing reps to stay in ryhthym. It probably has a lot to do with who the player is and how much pull they ultimately have.

If it was up to me the enitre second and third string would have played that game against the Jets. Don't risk it for a 3 seed.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

The Jets made the playoffs. They should celebrate. Is there another 7 loss team more deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

I think that is a fair question, one I asked myself. It appeared to me that Carson had marching orders to get rid of the ball quickly. Also, the Colts played Manning yesterday. I think it is to keep them in the feel of game activity and to see from under the center and in the pocket what the Jets were showing.

I think Ryan has to answer the same question after it was clear what the Bengals were doing to leave his guys out there. I was just waiting for Thomas Jones to pop his hammy or some other freak injury to happen to one of his key players after the game was well in hand. Ryan does not strike me as being very bright. He may know football, but he doesn't seem to be savvy. Most buffoons aren't, though.

Funny thing is that Collinsworth had one thing totally backwards. He said the Bengals have one of those game tape destroying games. I think it is just the opposite. The Bengals should be studying closely what the Jets did when the Bengals bombed a play (which should have been designed as well), while the Jets have nothing from their game that I would consider workable. I hope Ryan doesn't realize that, but I don't want to give him too much credit at this point.

One of the interesting story lines heading into the real game is whether the Jets have so emotionally spent themselves to achieve the goal of making the playoffs that they will have difficulty finding it for the real prize. I think it is certainly plausible that they may be in "just happy to be here mode" next week without even realizing it until its too late while they get schooled in reverse in a game that really matters.

Also, I think the Bengals are in better position playing Indy than SD. I would be fine with the Chargers getting an AFC Championship rematch in their place that they always wanted after the Freezer Bowl.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Travel wise, playing Indy first(okay second after this minor matter of beating the Jets is taken care of) is helpful too. Though there's no guarantee that Baltimore doesn't beat New England and than Indy would play the Ravens and the Bengals still travel to San Diego.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    The Jets made the playoffs. They should celebrate. Is there another 7 loss team more deserving.
    They absolutely should celebrate. I don't think anyone said otherwise.

Turn Off Ads?