Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Times article about Cincinnati stadiums

Re: NY Times article about Cincinnati stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

A good portion of the limited economic spin-off now goes to northern Kentucky, whose residents refused to contribute any funds to help build the stadiums.
    I'm sorry, but I don't remember there ever being any talk of having Northern Kentucky help with the stadiums, their certainly was never a vote by the "residents".

As for the stadiums, the county should have told the Bengals to take a hike and only dealt with the Reds.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't remember there ever being any talk of having Northern Kentucky help with the stadiums, their certainly was never a vote by the "residents".

As for the stadiums, the county should have told the Bengals to take a hike and only dealt with the Reds.
    They still benefit greatly because of the screwups that Cincinnati has had since the stadiums have been built. I go to 20+ Reds games a year. I park in Newport because its cheaper. So does everyone I know. While there are plenty of people who do park in Cincinnati, there are still a good number of people who park in Newport for games and spend money before and after the games at the bars/restaurants over there. When me and the friends go out to bars, we wind up in Kentucky at a 10-1 rate over downtown Cincinnati. If there were something between the stadiums I think Cincinnati would start seeing a decent boost in revenue while Northern Kentucky would take a hit. Instead its been 7-10 years of nothing in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I don't think I have ever spent one nickel anywhere in Cincinnati prior to a game. I stay over the river in KY and spend all my money over there. It's just better over there than in Cincy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They still benefit greatly because of the screwups that Cincinnati has had since the stadiums have been built. I go to 20+ Reds games a year. I park in Newport because its cheaper. So does everyone I know. While there are plenty of people who do park in Cincinnati, there are still a good number of people who park in Newport for games and spend money before and after the games at the bars/restaurants over there. When me and the friends go out to bars, we wind up in Kentucky at a 10-1 rate over downtown Cincinnati. If there were something between the stadiums I think Cincinnati would start seeing a decent boost in revenue while Northern Kentucky would take a hit. Instead its been 7-10 years of nothing in Cincinnati.
    Exactly. I do the same thing.

This is an example of just how monumentally stupid it was to build the stadiums where they did. It is easier and more fun for people who live in Ohio to drive to another state to park, eat and drink then walk across a long windy bridge back into Ohio to watch the game. Then walk back across the bridge with thousands of other people to eat and drink again before driving back into Ohio to go home. The fans spend their money in Kentucky. Kentucky gets the revenue. Ohio taxpayers foot the bill for the stadium.

If you want to spend your money in downtown Cincinnati you have to walk across the freeway bridge, walk up a steep hill past blocks of parking garages and seemingly abandoned buildings and mingle with lots of unsavory and dangerous characters before you reach any decent places to eat or drink. And you get to pay $10 or more to park your car instead of the $2-$3 you pay in Kentucky.

It is faster, safer, easier, cheaper and more fun to park, eat and drink in Kentucky than in Cincinnati.

Hamilton county taxpayers might as well have built the two new stadiums on the other side of the river. It probably would have been cheaper and then at least we would still have an uncluttered riverfront to develop into something nice.

If they had built the stadiums far from the river maybe they would have generated the economic boon we were promised before we approved the tax hike.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 12-29-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My buddy from Oakland went to Paul Brown Stadium last weekend and said it put the Raiders and the Niners joints to shame.
    I would hope so since both Bay Area facilities are over 30 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've never paid more than $2 to park for a Reds game in the last 5 years, and I've never once parked in KY.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've never paid more than $2 to park for a Reds game in the last 5 years, and I've never once parked in KY.

I usually park at the Westin where on weekends and evenings it's only $3 up from $1 as recently as a couple of years ago.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They still benefit greatly because of the screwups that Cincinnati has had since the stadiums have been built.
    Perhaps, though I think quite a few people do park and eat in Cincy, but the original statement was Kentucky had rejected helping with the stadiums which is simply not true, they were never asked, nor was Clermont county or Butler county though quite a few people go to Reds games from there.

Besides if there was this huge boom to be had Ovation in Newport wouldn't be stuck in neutral and the Levee wouldn't be losing tenants left and right, I just don't think that is the reason Hamilton county is having trouble.
    Go Gators!

Perhaps, though I think quite a few people do park and eat in Cincy, but the original statement was Kentucky had rejected helping with the stadiums which is simply not true, they were never asked, nor was Clermont county or Butler county though quite a few people go to Reds games from there.
    The residents of northern Kentucky and other surrounding areas were definitely asked to help with the stadiums. Just because it never got on the ballot doesn't mean they were not asked. It never got to the ballot because it was quite obvious those people did not want to help.

I remember the years when the politicians were debating what should be done and how to do it. They tried very hard to get several local governments, county governments and the state governments to pitch in some funds to help build the stadiums and keep the Reds and Bengals in the area. The only people that stepped up to the plate were the people of Hamilton county. Everybody else was content to sit back and enjoy the benefits of having major league teams here while not doing their fair share to make it possible.

I can't say I blame them though. The Hamilton county government was foolish enough to foot the entire bill while placing the stadiums where other people would reap a large portion of the economic benefits. Now they complain they can't pay the bill. Well, duh. That was a situation they should have foreseen and could have avoided if they had acted more responsibly.

The residents of northern Kentucky and other surrounding areas were definitely asked to help with the stadiums. Just because it never got on the ballot doesn't mean they were not asked. It never got to the ballot because it was quite obvious those people did not want to help.

I remember the years when the politicians were debating what should be done and how to do it. They tried very hard to get several local governments, county governments and the state governments to pitch in some funds to help build the stadiums and keep the Reds and Bengals in the area. The only people that stepped up to the plate were the people of Hamilton county. Everybody else was content to sit back and enjoy the benefits of having major league teams here while not doing their fair share to make it possible.

I can't say I blame them though. The Hamilton county government was foolish enough to foot the entire bill while placing the stadiums where other people would reap a large portion of the economic benefits. Now they complain they can't pay the bill. Well, duh. That was a situation they should have foreseen and could have avoided if they had acted more responsibly.
    I remember the idea was floated to share the burden with the surrounding counties. I doubt Clermont, Warren or Montgomery county residents would vote to sent their tax money to Hamilton County. Although I wasn't in Kentucky at the time, I certainly wouldn't vote to send my money to Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I remember the idea was floated to share the burden with the surrounding counties. I doubt Clermont, Warren or Montgomery county residents would vote to sent their tax money to Hamilton County. Although I wasn't in Kentucky at the time, I certainly wouldn't vote to send my money to Ohio.
    Nor would Hamilton county voters approved a stadium in Kentucky even if it was right across the river.

But again, there was no vote or even a public opinion poll that I remember, I'm sorry if i come across smitey but saying that "the residents made it clear" just isn't good enough for me, no one asked me

Anyway, in 25 years we won't have to worry, the Dayton Reds will need us all
    Go Gators!

Nor would Hamilton county voters approved a stadium in Kentucky even if it was right across the river.

But again, there was no vote or even a public opinion poll that I remember, I'm sorry if i come across smitey but saying that "the residents made it clear" just isn't good enough for me, no one asked me

Anyway, in 25 years we won't have to worry, the Dayton Reds will need us all
    No smite taken.
    The idea was such a non-starter that no one was going to put it on the ballot.

Maybe they'll be playing at Champion Field in Florence.

Hamilton county taxpayers might as well have built the two new stadiums on the other side of the river. It probably would have been cheaper and then at least we would still have an uncluttered riverfront to develop into something nice.
    I agree. We already have the airport... so, why the hell not?

Retired

There isn't much in downtown Cincinnati to keep people on this side of the river. Plus, there are large parts of downtown where you need to wear body armor.

A lot of the development on the Levee Cincinnati could have had. The city wasn't willing to grant the tax incentives to the developers, so they looked elsewhere. They have nobody to blame but themselves. The idea of building the Underground Railroad museum, on probably the most prime piece of property on the riverfront, was the dumbest decision they have ever made. That would have been perfect for restaurants and other things, but instead they bungled it, in typical Cincinnati fashion.

I've been a life long Hamilton County resident. Within the next coupe years, I'm probably moving to Kentucky. The property taxes here are getting out of control, and will continue to go higher thanks to the inept local government.

This is an example of just how monumentally stupid it was to build the stadiums where they did. It is easier and more fun for people who live in Ohio to drive to another state to park, eat and drink then walk across a long windy bridge back into Ohio to watch the game. Then walk back across the bridge with thousands of other people to eat and drink again before driving back into Ohio to go home. The fans spend their money in Kentucky. Kentucky gets the revenue. Ohio taxpayers foot the bill for the stadium.
    I can attest to this. I've taken three trips into Cincinnati to see a weekend series. The first time I stayed downtown. The next two times I stayed in Kentucky and except for the game didn't spend a dime in Ohio. It was cheaper and more convenient.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

That's comical. How about residents from Hamilton County pay some extra tax to benefit the airport over here in NKY? How would that go over?

Turn Off Ads?