Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen extended...

Rolen extended...

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...extension.html

The Reds and 3B Scott Rolen have restructured his contract and have extended him for two more guaranteed seasons. Rolen's new contract will pay him $23.625 million through the 2012 season with a $5 million signing bonus that is deferred over the next three seasons without interest. He was originally expected to earn $11 million in 2010 but will now get $6 million in 2010, $6.5 million in 2011 and $6.5 million in 2012.

The move seems to provide the Reds more payroll flexibility for next season while giving thr 34-year-old Rolen the extra two years of security.

Reds GM Walt Jocketty is out of the country on vacation and isn't available for comment.

More to come...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Rolen extended...

I like it. I know Walt wouldn't trade Zack Stewart for one and a half seasons of Scott Rolen.

I hope and pray this turns out to be a good move but something tells me the Reds and the fan-base will regret it before the end of this deal.

This is a really smart move by the Reds, in my opinion.

Basically they get him for around $8M a season for three years. That's a good deal even considering his age and injuries. Even if he only plays around 100 games a season, and decreases in production at a normal rate for someone his age, he probably justifies the whole contract in the first two years.

Most importantly, it gives the Reds around $4M in additional payflex to work with this season. At worse, this means that they don't have to move anyone who actually produces in order to get to their payroll limit, if that is the case.

If they can only move Taveras now...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Very nice job by Walt, and a nice gesture by Rolen. Walt says we'll give you the extra two years, if you take a pay cut to help the team. Rolen individually may not have amazing numbers this year, but everything he has done so far has improved the team.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Good move. This does indeed give more payroll flexibility and keeps a good player--and influence--on the roster.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that the article said Walt is out of the country on vacation?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I like it. I know Walt wouldn't trade Zack Stewart for one and a half seasons of Scott Rolen.
    And yet that is what he did. Could have signed Rolen at the end of 2010 through 2012 just like we have him now.

With that said, I like this extension. Rolen is very likely to be worth every penny of this contract. Don't like the trade still. Like having Rolen on my team. Borderline love the contract he just signed. Good job on this part of it Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I hope and pray this turns out to be a good move but something tells me the Reds and the fan-base will regret it before the end of this deal.
    Ditto
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

All long term contracts are riskier in the later years. In terms of expected performance, they should be front loaded with salary. Evenly distributing the money spreads the cost without overburdening any single year.

Rolen for next year at 6 million (with the bonus payment deferred) is an excellent move. It is a risk in the third year, but that's how almost all major baseball contracts work these days.

This is the best move so far this off-season. Creative. Opens up some bucks for a player acquisition. Wonder if Reds will restructure one of the other major contracts? Extend Harang, Arroyo or Cordero for salary relief?
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-19-2009 at 02:05 PM.

This actually gives us $5 million in payflex for '10 as Rolen's base pay for the season drops from $11 million to $6 million.

Here's what I'd do next:

1. Trade Taveras plus $1 million to the Twins for SS Punto. He's an odd-man-out in Minnesota, due to make $4 million, same as Taveras. So, for the cost of the $1 million sweetener, we'll have converted $4 million in deadwood salary into something useful -- like what the Mariners did dealing Silva for Bradley, only on a lesser scale.

2. Use the balance of $4 million to pursue free-agent SP Justin Duchscherer. If we need $5-$6 million to get Justin on board for '10, then trade Rhodes and his $2 million salary this off-season. We know he has suitors and we also have LHP relievers galore (Herrera, Bray, Viola).

Gives us the opportunity to hold onto Harang and Arroyo, and open '10 with a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto, Duchscherer. Positional players: C Hernandez/Hanigan; 1B Votto, 2B Phillips, SS Punto, 3B Rolen, LF Dickerson/Heisey CF Stubbs RF Bruce. Bench: Janish, Nix, Util INF. Bullpen: Owings, Maloney, Bray, Burton, Herrera, Masset, Cordero.

Works for me. If we compete, we go for it. If not, Arroyo, Harang, Cordero, Phillips and Hernandez can all be shopped mid-season for contenders.

That's cheaper than what Beltre and even DeRosa are asking for....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    All long term contracts are riskier in the later years. In terms of expected performance, they should be front loaded with salary. Evenly distributing the money spreads the cost without overburdening any single year.

Rolen for next year at 8 million is an excellent move. It is a risk in the third year, but that's how almost all major baseball contracts work these days.

This is the best move so far this off-season. Creative. Opens up some bucks for a player acquisition. Wonder if Reds will restructure one of the other major contracts? Extend Harang, Arroyo or Cordero for salary relief?

No doubt this is the best move the Reds have made so far this off-season.
    (they aint done nothin' else)

I like Scott Rolen, I really do but his age and history of injuries do not bode well for the legnth of this contract. I hope it works out for the best.

Can we give this thread a sticky?
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-19-2009 at 02:15 PM.

No doubt this is the best move the Reds have made so far this off-season.
    (they aint done nothin' else)

I like Scott Rolen, I really do but his age and history of injuries do not bode well for the legnth of this contract.I hope it works out for the best. Can we give this thread a sticky?
    Again, Ron, the third year is almost irrelevant. The purpose of this is to give the Reds salary relief in the near term.

Like all longer contracts, the last year is a gamble, particularly given Rolen's age and injury history. But it's a good gamble even if he winds up as a backup that last year.

This is all about the money. The Reds have found a way to reduce payroll, lock up a good player, and the late year risk is not horrible. Even if Rolen is a bench warmer and pinch hitter at the end, it's worth it.

As someone says, this took cooperation on Rolen's part too. Kudos.

Assuming $4.5M/win will hold as the big boppers like Holliday etc eventually get their contracts, the Reds are paying Rolen like they expect him to produce 5.3 WAR over the next three years. He's projected to produce 3 to 3.5 WAR in 2010 alone (that's with expecting him to not play in about a quarter of the Reds games).

Aging him .5 WAR a season suggests he might be expected to produce around 7.5 WAR over the course of his reworked contract.

This is a pretty good deal. Obviously the Reds think they're getting a great deal extra with Rolen from an intangible standpoint but they aren't paying him extra for it....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?