Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Movies

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Baseball Movies

What is your favorite baseball movie?

It's often hard for someone to pick just one, I know that I have many that I enjoy very much. Let's try and list just about every baseball movie ever made here--and what you liked about it or even what you remember about it.

I'd say I have two favorites that aren't mainstream.

I loved '61' about Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. I thought it was extremely well made and realistic with great acting. It set the scene of that season so well. It's been a while since I've watched it so I really need to watch it again soon.

I also loved Little Big League. This isn't mainstream but they really did a realistic job of a representation of an MLB team going through a season in the early 90's. Takes me back to my childhood.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Movies

"Long Gone" - an HBO original movie starring William F. Petersen as a burned-out former player toiling in the low minors. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember liking it a lot.

Oh yeah, and "Teller" from Penn and Teller is in it, in a speaking role.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Eight Men Out

Field Of Dreams

Many years ago, I had my own little tradition of watching those two movies the weekend before Opening Day. I will introduce them to my son soon, and will do so as a pair, since a full appreciation of Field Of Dreams is enhanced by understanding the Black Sox Scandal first.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched Field Of Dreams, but I don't think I've ever failed to get a lump in my throat during the scene where Ray and his dad play catch.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

I've lost count of how many times I've watched Field Of Dreams, but I don't think I've ever failed to get a lump in my throat during the scene where Ray and his dad play catch.
    I get tingles and misty eyed everytime I watch the closing scene in Field of Dreams. Just before he filmed that scene as Ray Kinsella's dad, actor Dwier Brown's father passed away. Brown had returned from the funeral and then filmed that scene. As originally filmed, when Kevin Costner asks Brown if he wants to have a catch Costner didn't call him "dad." The word "dad" was later looped into the scene.
    There are a lot of other baseball movies which I have enjoyed, including:
    Eight Men Out--perhaps the most accurate baseball movie.
    Major League--perhaps the most fun.
    A League of their Own--a terrific film that always makes me think of my mom and her sister.
    The Naked Gun--not a "baseball movie" but the scenes with Leslie Nielsen umpiring always make me laugh.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "Long Gone" - an HBO original movie starring William F. Petersen as a burned-out former player toiling in the low minors. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember liking it a lot.

I really enjoyed that movie. I actually taped it off WGN many years ago. I thought with Petersen's success on CSI they may show it more often. No such luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bull Durham, The Natural, Eight Men Out.
    In that order.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Bull Durham, The Natural, Eight Men Out.
    In that order.
    Pretty much the only 3 I care about, and even the Natural is disappointing for changing the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I really enjoyed that movie. I actually taped it off WGN many years ago. I thought with Petersen's success on CSI they may show it more often. No such luck.
    Yeah, it's not even on DVD. That's a shame.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

61 was my fav

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pretty much the only 3 I care about, and even the Natural is disappointing for changing the ending.
    I'm not normally a fan of film adaptations of books, but if the Natural were faithful to the book (not just the ending), that would be one dark and dreary movie.

I love Eight Men Out, League of Their Own and Bull Durham. Just below those, I'd have The Natural and 61*.

While I too get a little dust in my eye during the "Have a catch" scene in Field of Dreams, there's just too much cringe-inducing dialogue for me to put it at the top level.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

61*
    The Natural
    Eight Men Out

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'm not normally a fan of film adaptations of books, but if the Natural were faithful to the book (not just the ending), that would be one dark and dreary movie.
    I like art films, that's what it would be... they changed teh ending to the Scarlet Letter too.. still it doesn't work any better.

But I do get the vibe of a downer film ruining a great subject like baseball

My favorite baseball movie is Cobb, primarily because of the tour de force performance of Tommy Lee Jones as the titular character. Cobb also has one of my favorite movie scores.

"The Natural"

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

I don't see this on Netflix. Anyone know where it might be available?

Turn Off Ads?