Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Reds moments of this decade?

Re: Best Reds moments of this decade?

Suprised no one mentioned the ruturn of Jose Rijo.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?

I got nuthin'. Best thing is that its gone.

I enjoy ballgames at GABP and all that, but any highlights are pretty pathetic compared to what its supposed to be.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

My best Reds moments of the decade? Every day of every season.

My worst Reds moments of the decade? Almost every day of every season.

On subject: Each and every successful accomplishment by Josh Hamilton.

Off subject, trivial, but perhaps of interest to some: If Christ was born in the year 1 AD, then he had his 1st birthday in year 2, his 2nd birthday in year 3......... his 10th birthday in year 11.

The first decade (AD) included the years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and the year 10 AD.

Jan. 1 of the year 11 AD began the 2nd decade.

On that basis, Jan. 1, 2011 will start the next (calendar) decade, and we might have started this thread too soon.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    On subject: Each and every successful accomplishment by Josh Hamilton.

Off subject, trivial, but perhaps of interest to some: If Christ was born in the year 1 AD, then he had his 1st birthday in year 2, his 2nd birthday in year 3......... his 10th birthday in year 11.

The first decade (AD) included the years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and the year 10 AD.

Jan. 1 of the year 11 AD began the 2nd decade.

On that basis, Jan. 1, 2011 will start the next (calendar) decade, and we might have started this thread too soon.
    Oh no, not this again.

June 29 2005 long national nightmare ends
    Adam Dunn had a ninth-inning sacrifice fly, his first since July 22, 2003, against Milwaukee, a string of 1,086 plate appearances and 66 opportunities with a runner on third and less than two outs.

"It was better than any home run I've ever hit," a relieved Dunn said.

What no love for Phillips? What about his 30th homer to become a 30/30 guy? Unfortunately, it occurred in a loss...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

My favorite Reds moment of this (just concluded) decade occurred in 2000 when the Reds celebrated the 25th anniversary of the 1975 World Champions by bringing back virtually every member of that team. Barry Larkin placed a rose on third base to represent one player who wasn't allowed to attend.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    What no love for Phillips? What about his 30th homer to become a 30/30 guy? Unfortunately, it occurred in a loss...
    Him hitting 30 HR in 2008 resulted in a crappy 2009 for him, IMO.

The definitive Reds moment was the the sitting of Felipe Lopez on his own Bobblehead night. It confirmed the state of disarray that the franchise was drowning in.

The fact that FeLo had a bobblehead was insane enough, the fact that he missed his first game of the year on that night was wacky. Within weeks he was gone in the most infamous trade of the Reds decade. I'm still convinced there's more to it than the BP, Wayne K and all the other rot that has been bandied about concerning the reasons around it, I'm thinking TMZ stuff more than ballplayer stuff.

The one that comes to mind for me is when Barry Larkin came back from a long DL stint to hit a pinch-hit walk-off HR.

I went to a lot of games in Griffey's first year in Cincinnati. I remember watching in awe at how great he was defensively. He was a joy to watch and made it look easy. I think perhaps my worst memory was of him trying to play defense his last couple of years. It was painful watching him run.

Watching Volquez the first half of 2008 was a lot of fun.

Watching Phillips play defense is a great memory.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

My top 10 Reds moments from 2000-2009:

1. Adam Dunn's walkoff grand slam vs Cleveland in 2006.

2. Barry Larkin's pinch hit walkoff home run vs St. Louis when he just came off the DL in 2003.

3. Ken Griffey Jr.'s pinch hit walkoff homerun vs Washington when he just came off the DL in 2006.

4. David Ross's walkoff homerun vs St. Louis in 2006 when the Reds were in the race for the divison. GABP went nuts.

5. Ken Griffey Jr.'s walkoff inside the park home run vs St. Louis in 2001.

6. Barry Larkin's first career grand slam vs the Mets in 2001.

7. Ken Griffey Jr's first at bat as a Red in 2000.

8. Ryan Freel's catch against the Cardinals in the gap on a ball hit by Albert P. in 2006.

9. Bronson Arroyo's 2nd career home run in his second start as a Red at Wrigley Field against Glendon Rusch.

10. Jose Rijo ruturns to the mound for the Reds in 2002.

Not a suprise to see that the majority of my list came in 2006 when the Reds were in the race. I'm a young guy and I would love nothing more to see the Reds just make the playoffs one time.

P.S. I think my list is great.
    Last edited by BearcatShane; 01-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    P.S. I think my list is great.
    Ditto. A fine list it is.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The definitive Reds moment was the the sitting of Felipe Lopez on his own Bobblehead night. It confirmed the state of disarray that the franchise was drowning in.

The fact that FeLo had a bobblehead was insane enough, the fact that he missed his first game of the year on that night was wacky. Within weeks he was gone in the most infamous trade of the Reds decade. I'm still convinced there's more to it than the BP, Wayne K and all the other rot that has been bandied about concerning the reasons around it, I'm thinking TMZ stuff more than ballplayer stuff.
    I think a case could be made that this was the "Decade of the Bobblehead" for the Reds franchise. The biggest sell outs and alot of the excitement of the organization surrounded around what bobbleheads the Reds were giving away.

It's sad but true!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Worth The Wait

This thread makes me sad... not because I can only enjoy my team during winning seasons, but because truthfully, there was very little that can be considered memorable this past decade. It truly was a miserable 10 years.

Having said that, I do have a few nice memories:

--As many have mentioned, the Dunn GS in 2006 was probably my #1. Not often can you remember where you were and what you were doing for a regular season baseball game, but I have vivid memories of that evening. Surprised no one mentioned (unless I missed it) that Dunn's HR that night was an extremely rare (almost freakish) feat. He hit what some dub an "ultimate slam." This can only occur when the bases are loaded, it's the bottom of the deciding inning, the batting team is down three runs, and there are two outs. Dunn's HR hit all those critieria and I believe it was only the 6th or 7th time in history it has been done. Great night....kind of put you on cloud 9 as a fan.

--Larkin's walk-off HR against the Cards at GAB was also memorable for me (was that 2003?)

A few others stick out as well, but the list of painful losses and disappointments would be MUCH longer. As a Reds fan, I'm ready to forget the 00's and move on....

Turn Off Ads?