Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 114

Thread: Texas Tech fires football coach Mike Leach

  1. #1
    Member Deepred05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    1,518

    Texas Tech fires football coach Mike Leach

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=st&type=lgns

    Not sure how much of this story I believe, but he did do a good job down there in Lubbock.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,155

    Re: Leach Fired

    I think Leach got hosed, but I think some part in him wanted out of Lubbock.

    What I do find interesting is that the player in question is ESPN's Craig James. I really believe that ESPN had a tremendous slant to the reporting. They even went as far as to interview James. I think that may have been the ultimate undoing of Leach.

  4. #3
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,562

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Leach got hosed, but I think some part in him wanted out of Lubbock.

    What I do find interesting is that the player in question is ESPN's Craig James. I really believe that ESPN had a tremendous slant to the reporting. They even went as far as to interview James. I think that may have been the ultimate undoing of Leach.
    He's out but he may get a big payday out of this if the university didn't do a thorough enough investigation and the charges don't hold up.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  5. #4
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,345

    Re: Leach Fired

    Another program bullied by an ESPN witch-hunt.

  6. #5
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,428

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Another program bullied by an ESPN witch-hunt.
    If he actually did what Adam James alleges, he should have been fired.

    The reverse witch-hunts are fun, too.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #6
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Leach Fired

    Good luck finding a coach as good as Leach. It won't be easy.

  8. #7
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,896

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good luck finding a coach as good as Leach. It won't be easy.
    What, you mean that they aren't beating the doors down to live in Lubbock, TX?

    I would think that Hal Mumme would be available.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  9. #8
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,155

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If he actually did what Adam James alleges, he should have been fired.

    The reverse witch-hunts are fun, too.
    The details would be really really interesting. From what I have heard Leach required everyone to be at practice. One day a kid wasn't allowed to practice because of his grades. Leach made him carry his desk out onto the 50 yard line and do home work.

    What I do find interesting is if James had a concussion and was unable to practice and was supposed to stay out of sunlight then what is wrong with sending him into an air conditioned room/shack? Where is the medical staff to step in and say "you can't do that".

  10. #9
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,795

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    He's out but he may get a big payday out of this if the university didn't do a thorough enough investigation and the charges don't hold up.
    Lawyers are going to make some money out of this (there is always a silver lining).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  11. #10
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,428

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

    What I do find interesting is if James had a concussion and was unable to practice and was supposed to stay out of sunlight then what is wrong with sending him into an air conditioned room/shack? Where is the medical staff to step in and say "you can't do that".
    In a room where he couldn't even sit down?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #11
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If he actually did what Adam James alleges, he should have been fired.

    The reverse witch-hunts are fun, too.
    Agreed. If the allegations are true, he deserved to be fired. That's a big "if" though.

  13. #12
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,428

    Re: Leach Fired

    This is interesting:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Q_5...layer_embedded

    I'm not sure either of those locations is a training room, which I'm sure they have at Texas Tech. Something else was afoot, other than treating an injured player.

    And no, I don't care how big a jerk Adam James may have been while at Tech, a kid with a concussion shouldn't be sent to either of those locations.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  14. #13
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,562

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And no, I don't care how big a jerk Adam James may have been while at Tech, a kid with a concussion shouldn't be sent to either of those locations.
    I don't know. To me an important question is: was the player put in harms way by the actions of the coach? And I haven't seen anything yet to convince me that he was. The attorney mentioned that a doctor said that it was actually a good thing that the player was resting in the room(s). IF that's true I'd consider that pretty important. I think it's safe to say that this is far from over but there has to be more to this or my amateur opinion is that the university is in trouble.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  15. #14
    Member Deepred05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    1,518

    Re: Leach Fired

    The garage is a little disturbing, but the other room had tv's in it. Times have changed, in my day (70's) you were still required to show up for practice and stand around and help the coaches. Of course, if you count the number of fingers they held up, your ass was back in there.

  16. #15
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,428

    Re: Leach Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I don't know. To me an important question is: was the player put in harms way by the actions of the coach?
    Wrong question.

    Was the best thing for the injured player done for the injured player?

    That is the only question.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25