Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Tech fires football coach Mike Leach

Re: Leach Fired

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If he actually did what Adam James alleges, he should have been fired.

The reverse witch-hunts are fun, too.
    Got ask you this...what specific allegation is the reason you think Leach should be fired?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I wouldn't expect him to have a problem finding his next gig and I also expect TTU to not be heard from anytime soon
    Other then last year have they really been heard from? 10 years and the standard seems to be a little bowl and 4-5 losses, maybe that's the best one can do at Tech but he doesn't strike me as that great a coach.
    Go Gators!

Re: Texas Tech fires football coach Mike Leach

From Junction Boys to a coach being fired for cruelly making a player sit in a garage and a room during practice. Times certainly have changed.

Wrong question.

Was the best thing for the injured player done for the injured player?

That is the only question.
    Sheesh. Every coach in history has said "walk it off" at one time or another, and that certainly isn't the best way to handle an injury. There is always a gray area and there is always another side to the story (which we sure haven't gotten from ESPN) The proper question is, is what Mike Leach did reason enough to be fired and why?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Got ask you this...what specific allegation is the reason you think Leach should be fired?
    If he purposefully didn't seek the best possible medical treatment for an injured player, yeah, that would be enough. The fact that it sounds like he acted like an ass when confronted with this when confronted by his bosses doesn't help.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Lawyers are going to make some money out of this
    Starting with Mike Leach who apparently is a lawyer himself.

Being a lawyer, he should know better (assuming the allegations are accurate).
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Starting with Mike Leach who apparently is a lawyer himself.

Being a lawyer, he should know better (assuming the allegations are accurate).
    Yeah, asking the trainer what is best for a player recovering from a concussion, and having a doctor's name clearing him (Leach), he should have known better........This is a witch hunt, started by a daddy who is ticked his kid isn't playing as much as he thinks he should, and nothing more.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

As far as I can tell, this isn't really about Adam James at all. If Tech liked Leach and vice versa, no way this escalates to this point.

But even if you believe Leach didn't do anything wrong with James, let's be honest here. Telling his bosses to jump in a lake when they asked him to justify what happened, and immediately lawyering up and taking it to court when they suspended him for it, isn't something a guy does if he gives a darn about keeping that job.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    From Junction Boys to a coach being fired for cruelly making a player sit in a garage and a room during practice. Times certainly have changed.
    TTU, for whatever reason, wanted to be rid of Leach and this gave them a semi-plausible excuse. If TTU didn't want to get rid of them this would never have made the light of day. IMO, TTU orchestrated this scenario to get rid of Leach ain an attempt to not pay him any more money.

For what football coaches routinely do this doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I doubt Bear, Woody or Bo would have handled a prima donna with such kid gloves.

The biggest mistake Leach made was not properly assessing the political situation at TTU.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-31-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    TTU, for whatever reason, wanted to be rid of Leach and this gave them a semi-plausible excuse. If TTU didn't want to get rid of them this would never have made the light of day. IMO, TTU orchestrated this scenario to get rid of Leach ain an attempt to not pay him any more money.

For what football coaches routinely do this doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I doubt Bear, Woody or Bo would have handled a prima donna with such kid gloves.
    Bingo. Texas Tech wanted him out for some reason and this was the excuse that they needed. However, I think it will end up costing the university in legal fees and I don't expect them to win their case, either, based on what I've seen/heard reported.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

So where will he end up?

Would he fit in at UC?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    As far as I can tell, this isn't really about Adam James at all. If Tech liked Leach and vice versa, no way this escalates to this point.

But even if you believe Leach didn't do anything wrong with James, let's be honest here. Telling his bosses to jump in a lake when they asked him to justify what happened, and immediately lawyering up and taking it to court when they suspended him for it, isn't something a guy does if he gives a darn about keeping that job.
    I would imagine that most college coaches, especially coaches in BCS schools have lawyers. They aren't on retainer but they are there if they are needed. I really see nothing wrong with the actions Leach took when TT suspended him.

What doesn't make sense to me if Leach is truly getting hosed here is why Texas Tech would want to fire him. He's brought their program to a place it has never been before and they just signed him less than a year ago to a big extension. Why would they be looking for a reason to get rid of him?

And I'm not sure that HIS assistant coaches and others that work and play for him coming to his defense really means much. Does anyone think these guys are going to come down in opposition to him. He was their boss and if he goes elsewhere, they will probably work for him again. In the real world, I doubt they'd be considered credible witnesses.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I'm thinking Leach will win a pretty big lawsuit with this one.

And it was a witch hunt. It was initially called a closet that James was "locked up" in. C'mon, when all you heard was "closet" you're probably thinking Buffalo Bill kind of stuff. I remember my first reaction was that Leach is crazy and should be arrested. It's this type of garbage journalism ESPN consistently spews out there that gives journalism a bad name.

Do yourselves a favor, read up on this more before falling for the ESPN masquerade. I have and it appears that this young man (22-years old) had an axe to grind and ran to Daddy, who just happens to work for ESPN. Yeah, no conflict of interest there. How professional to have ESPN then interview Mr. James with HIS side and then ESPN, not quite done with their typical grandstanding, tells us that they will remove Mr. James from covering the Texas Tech - Michigan State game. I have a question, why was he even scheduled to do that game in the first place, with his son playing for Texas Tech?

ESPN is so full of itself it's nauseating.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 12-31-2009 at 02:03 PM.

If he purposefully didn't seek the best possible medical treatment for an injured player, yeah, that would be enough. The fact that it sounds like he acted like an ass when confronted with this when confronted by his bosses doesn't help.
    As stated earlier the term "walk it off" is never the best medical treatment...should anyone who mutters that phrase be fired...of course not. What did Mike Leach do to be fired...

Turn Off Ads?