Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Texas Tech fires football coach Mike Leach

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Leach Fired

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The fact that Texas Tech previously hired Bob Knight is one of the reasons that I am extremely skeptical of the Official Story being put out by the University as to why Leach was fired.
    There was a totally different relationship between the AD and those coaches. Knight was beholden to the Tech AD for enabling him to resume his coaching career, after leaving IU as close to radioactive as a coach can get without NCAA sanctions being involved. Knight also apparently wanted to leave behind a situation in which his son could prosper as a head coach, so he wasn't about to make waves. Knight was rough with players, but smooth with his AD and administrators.

OTOH, Leach created hard feelings. He did an end run around the AD last spring to get a bump in pay and an extension. By filing for the TRO to coach in the Alamo Bowl, he defied both the AD and the administration.

What I've read in local media is that the Tech side of the story is about there being a window of opportunity for the AD to get some revenge and send Leach packing, thanks to a season in which the team lost some games it should have won and a convenient media firestorm which put the coach's treatment of players in a bad light and provided cause to terminate the contract.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 01-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Texas Tech fires football coach Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    interesting ... maybe things are not exactly as have been represented to this point. Wouldn't be surprised if someone else's job might be in trouble.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4787194
    As I figured.

Retired

The trainer calls it a "sports medicine garage".

After thinking about it, I don't know if he really deserved to be fired. He didn't put his hands on James at all, and it would be hard to call standing in a garage "abuse".

To me it sounds like James is a whiney little punk with an attitude and Leach was tired of dealing with him and daddy both. He didn't put his hands on the kid, he made him stand in a garage, with medical staff. As said previously in this thread, if he pulled that same crap with Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, Jim Tressel or a number of others, you can bet he would have gotten something a lot worse than standing in a garage.

This ain't pee wee football. Instead of whining to daddy about playing time, focus on becoming a better player, then he'd get more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    As what?

UC already hired Butch Jones to replace Brian Kelly. I doubt Leach would be interested in a OC or assistant coach role. He'll get another head coaching job if he wants one.
    I wish that Kentucky had not promised their head coaching job to Joker Phillips now. Leach was the offensive coordinator when Hal Mumme was the head coach and Tim Couch was QB. There is definitely the connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    As I figured.
    I think college football is the strangest thing going- just plain weird.

There is no circumstance on earth where a 50 year old man should have a 20 plus year old sitting in an electrical closet, garage, building, weight shack, etc. while being "guarded," "monitored," or anything else for that matter.

Just a weird structure altogether.

Men who lord over 13th-16th graders are given free passes for erratic behavior because of a stupid sports contest.

Bobby Knight can throw chairs, hit young men- he's a man.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.

This is getting juicy. Lots of accusations and contradictory statements being thrown around. This has to go to trial. If there is a settlement and all parties clam up, I'm going to be disappointed.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN continues to report this story given their conflict of interest. When I heard the initial report, ESPN was forthright in the relationship. But it also seems to me that there's only one side of the story being discussed on ESPN and that Texas Tech may have been premature to terminate Leach as a result.

Is there an appropriate way for a supposed news organization to report on allegations involving one of their commentator's kid? What are the ethics involved and has ESPN acted in good faith to follow them?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It will be interesting to see how ESPN continues to report this story given their conflict of interest. When I heard the initial report, ESPN was forthright in the relationship. But it also seems to me that there's only one side of the story being discussed on ESPN and that Texas Tech may have been premature to terminate Leach as a result. Is there an appropriate way for a supposed news organization to report on allegations involving one of their commentator's kid? What are the ethics involved and has ESPN acted in good faith to follow them?
    ESPN ran a lengthy interview of Leach by Rece Davis earlier today. They have reported all the statements that have been released by trainers and doctors, both pro and anti-Leach, at least on their website. My question is this: if the James kid was such a turd and his dad was such a pain, why not kick him off the team?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    ESPN ran a lengthy interview of Leach by Rece Davis earlier today. They have reported all the statements that have been released by trainers and doctors, both pro and anti-Leach, at least on their website. My question is this: if the James kid was such a turd and his dad was such a pain, why not kick him off the team?
    Maybe Leach was trying with this kid? Maybe he didn't want the negative press that would come along with Craig James's kid being kicked off the team? I think many underestimate the Craig James effect on this one. Texas Tech didn't want to pay the contract to Leach and they found a way out. I for one hope TT never reaches the heights Leach took them again and fall to the bottom of the Big12. When a University wants success but is not willing to pay for it then they usually get what they deserve and that is the bottom of the standings in their conference.

My question is this: if the James kid was such a turd and his dad was such a pain, why not kick him off the team?
    It's extremely difficult to get out of a scholarship if the kid is just lazy or a pain. They could've kicked him off the team and continued to pay his tuition, though. He probably would've transferred and that would've been the end of the situation.

Perhaps Leach is a fan of "A Few Good Men"? This is an odd story that will get played out in the courts.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    It's extremely difficult to get out of a scholarship if the kid is just lazy or a pain. They could've kicked him off the team and continued to pay his tuition, though. He probably would've transferred and that would've been the end of the situation. Perhaps Leach is a fan of "A Few Good Men"? This is an odd story that will get played out in the courts.
    Scholarships are renewable every year. If he was even on scholarship, their only remaining obligation would have been to pay for his spring semester.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

My guess is Leach tried to handle it as best he could, and it's hard to discipline a kid b/c of his meddling dad, although I'm sure Adam James did nothing to help his own cause in the eyes of Leach.

Seems like Leach didn't play James, James and his dad made a stink, and then James had the "concussion" and Leach used that as his opportunity to discipline the kid.

Seems like both sides had very calculated moves during all of this.

Craig James is a has-been/never-was, and his son is a punk.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

YouTube Video of Leach chewing out James at practice in April. James is laughing as walks away during the reaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTOY...layer_embedded

You could probably find something similar from every D1 coach chewing out every player for not hustling during spring practice. That's not the big deal - it's James response as he walks away that's telling to me.

Emails between the Tech President & others revealing how much he disliked Leach and thought they could find someone better without any issue.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...leachblack.pdf

Lots of ugly stuff in those emails. And none of it seems flattering to the Tech administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Craig James is a has-been/never-was,
    The guy was Offensive Player of the Year in the NFL in 1985.

The guy was Offensive Player of the Year in the NFL in 1985.
    You are wrong. Or you need to preface your statement by disclosing who gave him that award.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio...edirected=true
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 01-03-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Turn Off Ads?