Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still quiet (update from Fay)

Still quiet (update from Fay)

Still quiet
    Posted by jfay December 30th, 2009, 4:40 pm

I spoke with assistant GM Bob Miller today. It sounds like things remain quiet on the Reds front. Walt Jocketty is out of the country. He’s due back in a day or two.

The Reds haven’t spoken anymore to Jonny Gomes’ agents.

“They want to explore the market,” Miller said. “Things are still kind of slow (as far as market).”

The Reds’ budget is so limited as far as free agents that they’re likely to wait to see how far the market drops before they jump in.

A couple of other things:

–Juan Francisco is hitting .302/.352/.566 with 11 home runs and 42 RBI after 46 games in the Winter Ball. He’s playing a good deal in left field. “There was a stretch when he playeds eight of 12 games out there,” Miller said.

–Edinson Volquez is about to begin to throw. “The reports are good,” Miller said. “He’s worked hard and got in great shape. That helps.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Still quiet (update from Fay)

I don't expect much.

Will be more of the same, wait as long as possible, and try to pull someone off the scrap heap and pray they have a career year. That's the Reds MO when it comes to free agents.

Just reading between the lines this sounds like theyre gonna give Cisco, Frazier and Heisey a shot at LF and may the best man win or a straight platoon Heisey/Cisco

I worry about EV throwing too early and suffering setbacks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    This.

I pray he takes it slow and easy coming back. I'd much rather him miss all of 2010 then rush it back and we not only lose 2010, but 2011 too!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I heard at Redsfest that he was actually cleared to throw earlier in December but waited longer than that to make sure things were really all right. I think he's doing all right with things so far. I got a picture with him, Viola, and Maloney that weekend and when I asked him how his arm was feeling he said it was "Feeling great!".
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I predict a Matt Holliday, Ben Sheets, and Orlando Cabrera signings.. err I ment

Wily Mo Pena & Noah Lowry and sticking with Janish at SS

AS is always the case this time of year, I am cautiously optimistic. A lot of it has to do with the way they ended the season, but I saw a club that played intelligently and pitched well. Yes, we need a dependable left fielder (and I don't think Dickerson is the answer) and a shortstop who can hit, but providing that Harang and Arroyo come back to form (like Bronson did at the end of the season) and Bruce learns to handle MLB pithing, we should be players. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't expect much.

Will be more of the same, wait as long as possible, and try to pull someone off the scrap heap and pray they have a career year. That's the Reds MO when it comes to free agents.
    Would you rather them pay big money to a DH and insert him in LF (Bay)? Pretty much all of the MLB has been quiet for the past week or two, sans the Bay signing.

I didn't really expect much either. But I have seen that sometimes active moves in FA can hamstring a team for years to come. IIRC guys like Hudson and Cabrera were signed very late in the off season last year.

Still think Reds will add an infielder, either a starting shortstop or a good reserve infielder.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

what the Reds need and what they will end up with are two different things

It sounds like Reds management has quite a bit of faith in the young guys coming up. I sure hope they are right. Sounds like dumpster diving and blue light specials in the FA market is the plan.

You never know. My judgment says they might make a run in 2011 but the kids may sort it all out quickly and 2010 may be a surprise year.

Hope springs eternal in this Reds fan's heart.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It sounds like Reds management has quite a bit of faith in the young guys coming up. I sure hope they are right. Sounds like dumpster diving and blue light specials in the FA market is the plan.

You never know. My judgment says they might make a run in 2011 but the kids may sort it all out quickly and 2010 may be a surprise year.

Hope springs eternal in this Reds fan's heart.
    Dumpster diving is always the plan. Next you will see a few descent names floated around the Reds are "interested" in. They won't sign any of them, it happens every year. Then a few weeks after they will sign some has beens, and a few never will be's.

It's the same song and dance every year. Owner change, GM's change, but how the Reds operate never seems to change one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    what the Reds need and what they will end up with are two different things
    Right. Good point. But I have to think they are waiting, as they always do, for the prices of free agents to drop.
    Then they may do something.

My guess is an infielder, maybe a fifth starter, maybe a reliever. Modest contracts.

I don't think they will add a power hitter for the outfield, that would shock me.

Maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic. But if three of the 13 position players are Janish, Sutton, and Rosales, then I have difficulty seeing why the offense should be improved very much.

I'd trade Arthur Rhodes. He had a good season and has some value, I don't think he will do as well in 2010.

Turn Off Ads?