11 22.92%
  • Rick Sweet

16 33.33%
  • Some other manager will take over

21 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manager after Dusty Baker?

Manager after Dusty Baker?

I believe Rick Sweet should be the successor to Dusty Baker hopefully sooner than later since he knows most of these guys on the team and he has been very successful down in Louisville. But you know what happened last time we got a minor league coach ended up being the Dave Miley...Any other thoughts who should be the next manager?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Manager after Dusty Baker?

I would like Sweet here also. We're building a team with a lot of homegrown guys, so Sweet knows them all, and it seems like he works with players very well.
    He also just seems like a nice guy: you know what I mean if you've seen of the Reds Live Tech Talk segments with him in them.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I say they hire someone who works cheap. I think Dave Miley would be a good choice.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I'm satisfied as long as Dusty's not back. Altough I like the idea of Rick Sweet so he gets my vote.

I voted for Rick Sweet cause he knows all the players and he won with them but I also think Ron Oester would be good option.

ABD Anybody but Dusty...
    Baseball is life

ABD That would be Anybody but Dusty...
    Baseball is life

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I believe Rick Sweet should be the successor to Dusty Baker hopefully sooner than later since he knows most of these guys on the team and he has been very successful down in Louisville. But you know what happened last time we got a minor league coach ended up being the Dave Miley...Any other thoughts who should be the next manager?
    I thought the same thing about Dave Miley.

I would like for Barry Larkin to be named bench coach and Eric Davis hitting coach now and being groomed to take over for Dusty when they can finally get rid of him.

I would like for Barry Larkin to be named bench coach and Eric Davis hitting coach now and being groomed to take over for Dusty when they can finally get rid of him.
    That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't mind giving Larkin a shot at the job.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dusty won't get fired. If they aren't contending, they'll let him finish the season and pay him the rest of his contract instead of paying him and adding the cost of another manager.

If they do contend, it presents a whole new problem. I still think they will let him go after next season due to "philosophical differences" unless he miraculously wins it all.

Then I definitely see Rick Sweet hired for the simple 2 reasons of knowing most of these players and saving the organization money since it will be his first mlb coaching gig.

I'm down with Larkin and plugging E.D. in somewhere. I've also advocated "reassigning" Jacoby for a while now, and replacing him with Sean Casey.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Baker will stay through his current contract. The Reds aren't going to pay two managers. I say Sweet is next in line - only because he will be cheaper. It's all about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    Baker will stay through his current contract. The Reds aren't going to pay two managers. I say Sweet is next in line - only because he will be cheaper. It's all about the money.
    I agree. I think the only way Dusty will stay is if he takes the tean to the Series. Even then it is a hard sell in this economy. It will be best also because Rolen can't go two years without getting mad at his manager. Rolen will have some issue with Baker before the season is over. And Baker is not LaRussa. Then when Rolen throws his second fit he'll be gone and Francisco will be the third baseman. There is no way Rolen makes it through his contract.

Besides it will be evident that Dusty had little to do with the build up of this team. In fact he may have held it back some. Harang has really suffered under him and Pole along with Arroyo. Cueto' s sevelopment has been held back. Judging from comments at the time, I really don't think Pole liked having Soto around. Bailey's development was also slow. The fact that September call-ups have been orced into action and played well does not look good for Baker. It makes one wonder why these guys were not up earlier. Think Taveras, Patterson, and Bako. I have criticized Jockerty, but he did bring in Masset and Rolen, then reduced Rolen's salary. But the contracts for Lincoln, Taveras and Phillips were somewhat out of line.

Pete McKannin...

Turn Off Ads?