Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State versus Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl

Re: Ohio State versus Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Great post.

If you peruse the final stats, they are in favor of OSU, and it's not even close. I never felt the Bucks were in danger of losing this game. The offense did something it's struggled to do at times this season, which is convert 3rd downs. And Oregon managed just two all game.

And lets give some credit to Devin Barclay and Pettrey. The kick coverage unit was terrible, but the kickers were fantastic, and were a big part of the win.

Great all around performance. Couldn't have played any better IMO.
    Agreed except one thing. I thought the Buckeyes were destined to lose right before OU fumbled the ball out of the endzone. I was very concerned at that point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Agreed except one thing. I thought the Buckeyes were destined to lose right before OU fumbled the ball out of the endzone. I was very concerned at that point.
    Oh, great point I had forgot about. That was a key turning point. The Bucks were barely challenged after that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Another thing that is coming out of this bowl season is that the Big 10 is representing very well, which is about as satisfying as watching the Buckeyes dominate the mighty Ducks. Northwestern nearly beat an SEC team, and Penn State did beat an SEC team.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Another thing that is coming out of this bowl season is that the Big 10 is representing very well, which is about as satisfying as watching the Buckeyes dominate the mighty Ducks. Northwestern nearly beat an SEC team, and Penn State did beat an SEC team.
    And Wisconsin kicked the crud out of the U.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Another thought: Video replay review has gotten out of hand. I do not think that it was intended to look at each and every score. It really screws up the flow of the game. And it is patently unfair as well because it only is used on certain calls or non-calls. What if the replay shows that there was a holding call that was key to a scoring play? Well, that doesn't qualify, but it is just as big as making sure that the runner did not step out of bounds, or that the receiver had possession. Sure, you are gonna miss Mike Renfro clearly having both feet in bounds, but is the price of "getting the call right" worth it? Watching the way it was handled in the Rose Bowl today has me questioning that more than ever.

I tip my cap to the Buckeyes. They did what few thought they would. Beat Oregon. ESPN's fan voting showed 79% thought Oregon would win. I thought going in that the lack of defense would sink the PAC 10 in this Bowl season and that is turning out to be correct. Coach Tressel said before the game that he felt like they were representing the Big Ten today and I agree with him. Good thing they played well. This reflects well on the Big Ten. Their poor play in previous years did the opposite.

My guess is the media will get off the Big Ten's back for awhile and shift their scorn onto the PAC 10

Another thought: Video replay review has gotten out of hand. I do not think that it was intended to look at each and every score. It really screws up the flow of the game. And it is patently unfair as well because it only is used on certain calls or non-calls. What if the replay shows that there was a holding call that was key to a scoring play? Well, that doesn't qualify, but it is just as big as making sure that the runner did not step out of bounds, or that the receiver had possession. Sure, you are gonna miss Mike Renfro clearly having both feet in bounds, but is the price of "getting the call right" worth it? Watching the way it was handled in the Rose Bowl today has me questioning that more than ever.

I think you have a point. But I believe they don't just look at every score, they look at every play. I like this system better than the one the NFL uses. The referee doesn't go to the sidelines and look at some video on a small screen. And there's usually no nitpicky rules like you can't review an incomplete pass. Of course there are some foulups like in the Indiana Iowa game and others but you're going to have that with any system and it'll be worse if you don't have it at all. If you have the technology, you might as well use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think you have a point. But I believe they don't just look at every score, they look at every play. I like this system better than the one the NFL uses. The referee doesn't go to the sidelines and look at some video on a small screen. And there's usually no nitpicky rules like you can't review an incomplete pass. Of course there are some foulups like in the Indiana Iowa game and others but you're going to have that with any system and it'll be worse if you don't have it at all. If you have the technology, you might as well use it.

The problem is they're delaying the game to review obviously correct calls. That's a waste of time and a disruption to the flow of the game

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Great game by the Buckeyes today! I was watching the game at my cousin's house along with the rest of my family and we had a great time cheering for the Buckeyes. I got a little nervous at times because I'm that insane fan who always waits for the worst to happen to my teams but it just felt like OSU wasn't going to let this game get away from them. They were on a mission today and it showed in both the offense and defense. I was mostly worried about the OSU offense coming alive (I figured the defense would do their jobs well since they have pretty much all season) and I'm so happy that Terrelle had such a huge game. Next year could be really special and I can't wait to see what's in store for them. Go Bucks!!!

It was also fun watching my other cousin, a diehard Michigan fan, have to watch the Buckeyes finally win a big bowl game while knowing that his team was sitting at home, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The problem is they're delaying the game to review obviously correct calls. That's a waste of time and a disruption to the flow of the game

And commercials aren't? There are always going to be delays whether it be to injuries or time outs or measuring for a first down or spotting the ball or just breaking for a commercial.

Reviewing obviously correct calls is their job. But what may be obvious to you and me from our angle may not be obvious from another angle. Perhaps what they should do is have 2 guys in the booth reviewing plays and only call for a booth review if both guys agree. Then give them 60 seconds to either confirm or reverse the call. Takes up no more time than 2 30 second commercials. If you can't see if the call was right in 1 minute, the call should stand.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sometimes though, that's the fault of the coaches. There are some obviously correct calls where a team tries to rush to the line not realizing how obviously correct it is, and the booth is forced to go ahead and review without having a chance to see a replay and know whether the review was even necessary.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Can't believe Oregon attempted a field goal there on 4th and 1. Very puzzling decision, IMO.
    That too really perplexed me , and may have been the turning point of the game. I mean earlier in the game they went for it on 4th and 9 and got it. I'm assuming the Oregon coach realized he needed two scores, and decided to be get one of them here.

First off..... IS OSU'S DEFENSE LEGIT after basically shutting down one of the most high powered offenses in the country?

Masoli.... 9/20 for 81 yds. 6 carries for 9 yds rushing.

Oregon rushed for a total of 179 yds; but no individual rusher over 100. This was a lot like the Navy game where Navy rushed for similar yards, but lost.

Who do I give the game ball to? The entire team, and that includes Tressel.

The defense played outstanding. Pryor played one of his best games. Posey, Sanzenbacher, and Faine really played well. And I told my brother in the 4th quarter that one of the things I wasn't seeing out of Tressel was predictability.

When Oregon went up 17-16, and I felt the momentum was shifting, I was watching with one eye closed. After OSU went back ahead on the FG, Oregon drove it right back down inside the OSU 20 and I thought they were going to take it in again. Blount's fumble into the endzone was quite a fortunate turn for OSU.

But I told my brother that I hope several missed opportunities by the OSU offense in this game don't come back to haunt them.....

The perfect pass by Pryor to Posey in the endzone in the 2nd quarter that Posey couldn't handle. Posey redeemed himself on the very same called play on that last OSU TD though.

There were a couple pass plays where Pryor, if he had hit the guys in stride, they would have been gone IMO. Especially when he threw that INT.

We should have had more points on the board, and even though we were playing well overall, I was very fidgety in my chair.

But OSU rose to the occasion!

With Oregon still relying on their running game late, the clock was not in their favor.

The Big 10 is looking a lot better in the Bowl games this year. A 1 pt loss by Minnesota to Iowa State (congrats Chip!), and an OT loss by Northwestern to Auburn (heck of a game).

Mountain West.... 4-0 (1 remaining)
    Big 12.... 3-1 (3 remaining)
    Big 10.... 3-2 (2 remaining)
    ACC.... 3-3 (1 remaining)
    SEC..... 3-3 (4 remaining)
    Big East.... 2-2 (2 remaining)
    PAC-10 ..... 2-5 (final)
    Last edited by GAC; 01-02-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Winning is better.

Great game for Pryor, and the offense.

I would stop short of saying the defense played a great game, they just kept Oregon in check, the praise goes to the Ohio State offense for sitting on the ball for 40+ minutes.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Winning is better.

Great game for Pryor, and the offense.

I would stop short of saying the defense played a great game, they just kept Oregon in check, the praise goes to the Ohio State offense for sitting on the ball for 40+ minutes.
    I would submit that holding Oregon in check, especially given the field position they made for themselves, is worthy of high praise. It should have turned into a track meet when you consider the way we were moving the ball and the field position Oregon enjoyed, but our D held them. That is amazing and should not be overshadowed by the offense actually playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Definitely praise should be heaped on our offense with time of possession being 42 to 18.

But our defense has kept teams with good offensive attacks "in check" all year. And yet when this match up was announced, the question was put forth - and a valid one too I admit - has OSU's defense faced a high-powered, top-ranked, offense like Oregon's which, going into this game, averaged 39 pts/game, 425 yds total/game, and 236 yds rushing/game?

We held them under average in all categories.... 17 pts, 260 total yards, 179 total rushing.

I think they did a great job, but I'm biased. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?