Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State versus Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl

Re: Ohio State versus Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl

Another side conversation is that I recall some snickering at Oregon counting their blessings that they have Masoli after they were one of the finalists in the sweepstakes while Ohio State is stuck with Pryor. Well, Pryor 1, Masoli 0. The outcome was bizarro world vs. the predictions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And commercials aren't? There are always going to be delays whether it be to injuries or time outs or measuring for a first down or spotting the ball or just breaking for a commercial.

Reviewing obviously correct calls is their job. But what may be obvious to you and me from our angle may not be obvious from another angle. Perhaps what they should do is have 2 guys in the booth reviewing plays and only call for a booth review if both guys agree. Then give them 60 seconds to either confirm or reverse the call. Takes up no more time than 2 30 second commercials. If you can't see if the call was right in 1 minute, the call should stand.
    What do commercials have to do with a discussion of replay? Of course commercials delay the game but we all realize they are a necessary evil.

I disagree with you that obviously correct calls should be reviewed. Only questionable calls should be reviewed. Reviewing correct calls unnecessarily delays the game game and effects flow.

Once you stop play why limit them to 60s? You might as well get it right at that point. It often takes longer than that to get the spot and down (PSU-LSU) right

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    First off..... IS OSU'S DEFENSE LEGIT after basically shutting down one of the most high powered offenses in the country?

It's a legitimate question and I think OSU answered it with flying colors. But this was the game OSU needed. If Oregon ran roughshod over them, nobody would have remembered Navy.

I think the main focus going next year needs to be:

1) Punting game Improvement

2) Defensive Line Question - do Heyward and Gibson leave early? If not, then nevermind

3) Pryor's continued development and good decision making (he's grown a TON this year IMO)

4) Offensive Line Improvement

5) WR's continuing to grow (and keeping good depth)

If those areas are all improved I think OSU is a legit title contender.

I had hoped yesterday that at least one of my Ohio teams would win.

I thought the replay review was a little over the top yesterday. Have some faith in your on-field crew. There was a sideline tightroping by an OSU guy (I forget who) and video replay showed the ref was very tightly focused on the sideline and in perfect position to make the call.

The OSU defense took a 2x4 to the Oregon offense and slowed them down immensely. The OSU front 4 pretty well controlled things. That was a thoroughly great defensive performance. Remember what Oregon's fast break has done to just about everyone else this year.

OSU offense was good. Tressel finally let the leash out enough and loosened up things so that 23 and 22 lead has a prayer of working. Pryor still has some learning and seasoning needed as a pure dropback passer, but rolling him out and giving him quick throws to the slot gave him confidence. He was very lucky in that throw to Ballard who made a heckuva catch.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I echo the greatness of Ballard's catch. There is a great picture that captured the height that he reached to snag it on dispatch.com

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...owl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Another side conversation is that I recall some snickering at Oregon counting their blessings that they have Masoli after they were one of the finalists in the sweepstakes while Ohio State is stuck with Pryor. Well, Pryor 1, Masoli 0. The outcome was bizarro world vs. the predictions.
    +100

Another observation: John Saunders had a look on his face (one of constipation) about like the one I would have if I had to stand on the podium after a Michigan Rose Bowl victory.

He appeared to be thinking of all the places he would rather be than there, as one who never lacks to take a potshot at the Buckeyes in his studio snippets before/during/between games. It was funny to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I echo the greatness of Ballard's catch. There is a great picture that captured the height that he reached to snag it on dispatch.com

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...owl/index.html
    I pulled it off as a high res and sent it to Jake:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/...e50b349c_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Agreed except one thing. I thought the Buckeyes were destined to lose right before OU fumbled the ball out of the endzone. I was very concerned at that point.
    That fumble was karma you-know-what slapping Blount for his actions at the end of the Boise St game as well as Chip Kelly for suiting him up and putting him on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What do commercials have to do with a discussion of replay? Of course commercials delay the game but we all realize they are a necessary evil.

I disagree with you that obviously correct calls should be reviewed. Only questionable calls should be reviewed. Reviewing correct calls unnecessarily delays the game game and effects flow.

Once you stop play why limit them to 60s? You might as well get it right at that point. It often takes longer than that to get the spot and down (PSU-LSU) right

You are complaining about all the delays yet you accept commercials as a necessary evil. Why not accept replay delays as a necessary evil too?

I'm not saying obviously correct calls should be reviewed. What I'm saying is that they are reviewed whether you or I like it or not.

Again, you are the one complaining about delays. What I'm suggesting is that as long as you have the delays, have them as short as possible. Most reviews could be done in 30 seconds or less. That obvious TD catch you cite is one of them. In the time that it took for that player to catch the ball and tOSU to snap the ball for the extra point, the replay officials could have looked at that - without notifying the referee - and agreed that it was a catch. Play wouldn't have had to be stopped and no one but the replay officials would have known that they reviewed the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Winning is better.

Great game for Pryor, and the offense.

I would stop short of saying the defense played a great game, they just kept Oregon in check, the praise goes to the Ohio State offense for sitting on the ball for 40+ minutes.
    The defense was great. They allowed only 17 points, despite HORRENDOUS kick-off return coverage. Oregon had a short field to work with most of the game, and still couldn't get much of anything going.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I thought the replay review was a little over the top yesterday. Have some faith in your on-field crew. There was a sideline tightroping by an OSU guy (I forget who) and video replay showed the ref was very tightly focused on the sideline and in perfect position to make the call.
    I agree that the officiating crew (off field) was reviewing some plays that just didn't need to be reviewed. And on the "tightrope" along the sideline by Faine there was a ref right there kneeling down and in perfect alignment with the line watching as he ran. He had the most perfect angle of anyone. Yet they review it? Assuming they were bored up there in the booth... or were getting phone calls from ESPN's Mark May that he stepped out of bounds.

He was very lucky in that throw to Ballard who made a heckuva catch.
    When he threw that ball my brother and I thought he was throwing it away because he was under pressure. Don't know if that was a lucky desperation throw or what (looked like it to me).... but sure glad Ballard is one tall kid.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    That fumble was karma you-know-what slapping Blount for his actions at the end of the Boise St game as well as Chip Kelly for suiting him up and putting him on the field.
    Or Masoli put the ball in his chest and it bounced off the padding. Either way.

Mountain West.... 4-0 (1 remaining)
    Big 12.... 4-2 (1 remaining)
    Big East.... 4-2 (final)
    SEC..... 5-4 (1 remaining)
    Big 10.... 3-3 (1 remaining)
    ACC.... 3-3 (1 remaining)
    PAC-10 ..... 2-5 (final)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?