Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Win 2 SEC games and have a weak nonconference schedule and you're in. Of course, that's the same way in most conferences.

Exactly. The SEC schedules the same as any other conference.

If it's so easy to get ten teams into Bowls then why doesn't it happen very often? It's never happened in the SEC before. I'm not aware that it's ever happened before in another conference.

For those of you who poo who the SEC, fine, but at least acknowledge that they've done something that's rarely if ever been done before. Sending teams to Bowls helps the conference. It pads their coffers and looks good to recruits.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Exactly. The SEC schedules the same as any other conference.

If it's so easy to get ten teams into Bowls then why doesn't it happen very often? It's never happened in the SEC before. I'm not aware that it's ever happened before in another conference.

For those of you who poo who the SEC, fine, but at least acknowledge that they've done something that's rarely if ever been done before. Sending teams to Bowls helps the conference. It pads their coffers and looks good to recruits.
    No one poos on the SEC. They just don't pretend it the greatest thing since the invention of fire either. Some SEC fans sure seem to think that way.

On the way out of the game, I overheard some Florida fans who were actually angry that UC didn't put up a better fight. To quote one of them, "This is what happens when you play (explicative) UCONN and not a real schedule!" The irony is not lost on the team he chose for his example.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-04-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No one poos on the SEC. They just don't pretend it the greatest thing since the invention of fire either. Some SEC fans sure seem to think that way.
    This is the hey day of the SEC so that is to be expected. I think the SEC slipped a notch this year but they couldn't expect to continue as they have the last few years.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    On the way out of the game, I overheard some Florida fans who were actually angry that UC didn't put up a better fight. To quote one of them, "This is what happens when you play (explicative) UCONN and not a real schedule!" The irony is not lost on the team he chose for his example.
    We heard the same thing. I had one guy curse me out when I had the audacity to suggest that maybe, if HIS team had put up a better fight against Alabama it wouldn't be such an issue.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is the hey day of the SEC so that is to be expected. I think the SEC slipped a notch this year but they couldn't expect to continue as they have the last few years.
    Maybe so, but I still find all the conference superiority arguments pointless. For the most part, teams have to build their program to compete where they are going to play 80% of their schedule if they hope to have any type of success. Trying to determing what a current roster of some team would do in the current context of another conference is just not how it works, as I have seen attempted to "rank" OSU and UC if they were in the "mighty" SEC. Well, if they were in the SEC, those programs would likely have a different recruiting strategy.

For example, imagine an SEC team trying to slog around in the muck and mire more regularly like LSU was forced to in the Capital One bowl, or UF to play a cold weather game in the Midwest with a bunch of boys from the Southeast. Kinda leveled the playing field, and actually swung it in favor of Penn State, who had experience playing in foul weather.

That is one thing the NFL has over the NCAA, whereby sometimes a warm weather team, that is built for optimal field conditions, ends up in a late season or playoff game without the personnel to play in tough weather conditions. This rarely, if ever happens in the NCAA.

I know these are not new arguments, but that is why "conference strength" arguments are really fruitless exercises, whereby there is really no objective measurement to back up these arguments.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Maybe so, but I still find all the conference superiority arguments pointless. For the most part, teams have to build their program to compete where they are going to play 80% of their schedule if they hope to have any type of success. Trying to determing what a current roster of some team would do in the current context of another conference is just not how it works, as I have seen attempted to "rank" OSU and UC if they were in the "mighty" SEC. Well, if they were in the SEC, those programs would likely have a different recruiting strategy.

For example, imagine an SEC team trying to slog around in the muck and mire more regularly like LSU was forced to in the Capital One bowl, or UF to play a cold weather game in the Midwest with a bunch of boys from the Southeast. Kinda leveled the playing field, and actually swung it in favor of Penn State, who had experience playing in foul weather.

That is one thing the NFL has over the NCAA, whereby sometimes a warm weather team, that is built for optimal field conditions, ends up in a late season or playoff game without the personnel to play in tough weather conditions. This rarely, if ever happens in the NCAA.

I know these are not new arguments, but that is why "conference strength" arguments are really fruitless exercises, whereby there is really no objective measurement to back up these arguments.
    A good example of this is the annual USF dive once they enter Big East play. That team simply can't play in cold weather.

Another example is UC's defense. They're built to stop (or this year, slow) a zone-read or spread offense. Undersized but fast. That doesn't work against balanced offenses (see Florida, Pitt and UCONN). But it's effective against USF and WVU.

Also, I didn't want to give the impression that many of the Florida fans were pretentious blowhards. Many of them were quite respectful and enthusiastically cheered for their team.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    Heck yes!

The most important thing, however, is that it has been 1,505 days since that school in Oxford has defeated us in football!
    I don't like where this is heading haha...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

Yep.

That is one thing the NFL has over the NCAA, whereby sometimes a warm weather team, that is built for optimal field conditions, ends up in a late season or playoff game without the personnel to play in tough weather conditions.
    Except when it comes to the Super Bowl. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yep.

Except when it comes to the Super Bowl. :
    Super Bowls are sometimes played in the rain and mud.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?