Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 85

Thread: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

  1. #61
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Tennessee also got 23 points hung on them by Ohio University. What's your point? They don't play consistent football. That's the very definition of 'mediocre.'

    My point is that a "mediocre" SEC team very easily could have beaten the #1 team in the land.

    Point #2 is that they had a lot of serious injuries to its defense and that's why it doesn't look like the same team it was in early October

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,646

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My point is that a "mediocre" SEC team very easily could have beaten the #1 team in the land.

    Point #2 is that they had a lot of serious injuries to its defense and that's why it doesn't look like the same team it was in early October
    And if Florida had a bad game on Friday (as Alabama did when Tenn. played them), UC probably could've hung close with them too.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,564

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    I do think you have to take into account the cumulative pounding a team will take in the SEC (something that used to be true in the Big 10). It causes you to end up losing games you might think, in the abstract, that you'd win. I think UC would go .500 through an SEC schedule but would find it hard to do better.

  5. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    I think UC would go about .500 in the SEC, but if they played in the AFC West would probably go 12-4.

  6. #65
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,993

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And if Florida had a bad game on Friday (as Alabama did when Tenn. played them), UC probably could've hung close with them too.
    Or as they did (Florida) on Dec 5th.

    I'd say Ohio State and Cincy would be pretty evenly matched and both would probably be #3 in the SEC this year.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #66
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Good lord, if anyone wonders why folks have grown so incredibly weary of hearing about the SEC, look no further than this thread. Florida beats UC soundly and somehow this is because of the SEC. Hilarious!

    The strength of the SEC can't stand on its own. It gets diminished when people try to make these kinds of silly arguments.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #67
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,993

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Good lord, if anyone wonders why folks have grown so incredibly weary of hearing about the SEC, look no further than this thread. Florida beats UC soundly and somehow this is because of the SEC. Hilarious!

    The strength of the SEC can't stand on its own. It gets diminished when people try to make these kinds of silly arguments.
    I think there is really only one person making that particular argument and it isn't being made too compellingly...

    My take: Florida womped Cincy because Florida is the best team in the country talent for talent and Cincy just didn't match up.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,564

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    I've great respect for the SEC and think UC also had a great season--I say this so as not to get identified with anybody's argument here. One note, though: having 10 teams get to bowls means zilch; everybody goes to a bowl anymore--it depends more on the way you set up your non-conference schedule than on anything else.

  10. #69
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,437

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've great respect for the SEC and think UC also had a great season--I say this so as not to get identified with anybody's argument here. One note, though: having 10 teams get to bowls means zilch; everybody goes to a bowl anymore--it depends more on the way you set up your non-conference schedule than on anything else.
    Quite alot of truth to that. SEC could've had 11 bowl-eligible teams if Miss St. had watered down their nonconference schedule a bit.

    Win 2 SEC games and have a weak nonconference schedule and you're in. Of course, that's the same way in most conferences.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  11. #70
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,431

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    Hey now! We won the MAC East and went to a bowl! There's no shame in giving up a few points to the Bobcats!
    And they fought hard in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #71
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,646

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    My take: Florida womped Cincy because Florida is the best team in the country talent for talent and Cincy just didn't match up.
    This pretty much sums it up.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  13. #72
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think UC would go about .500 in the SEC, but if they played in the AFC West would probably go 12-4.
    LOL. I would give you 100 points of rep if I could.

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Good lord, if anyone wonders why folks have grown so incredibly weary of hearing about the SEC, look no further than this thread. Florida beats UC soundly and somehow this is because of the SEC. Hilarious!

    The strength of the SEC can't stand on its own. It gets diminished when people try to make these kinds of silly arguments.
    Yep.

  14. #73
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Good lord, if anyone wonders why folks have grown so incredibly weary of hearing about the SEC, look no further than this thread. Florida beats UC soundly and somehow this is because of the SEC. Hilarious!
    I remember back in the '90s, when FSU and Florida were playing epic games nearly every year, it didn't matter how the game came out. If Florida won, it was because they were battle-tested from playing tough SEC games every week. If they lost, it was because they were worn out from playing tough SEC games every week.

    But I guess that's how it is for most fans. Top Team barely squeaks past Midpack Team? If it's your league, it proves how tough Midpack Team is. If it's some other league, it proves Top Team is overrated.
    Not all who wander are lost

  15. #74
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,271

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Just got back from New Orleans earlier tonight.

    First, while I'm glad I visited New Orleans and got to experience Bourbon Street and the New Year's atmosphere, I can also say that I probably wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't make another trek down there.

    On to the game, and this seemed like a pure example of a game won and lost on the line of scrimmage. Florida had a massive advantage on the line on both sides of the ball, and they were able to exploit that advantage very well. I saw that advantage opening up in the first quarter, and I immediately thought that UC was going to have to be +2 or better in the turnover battle to win the game.

    Florida's defensive line put an immense amount of pressure on Pike - the most pressure he's seen since Virginia Tech last year - and that's pretty much the only way to slow down UC's offense. And unfortunately, the Gators could get a fair amount of pressure. Pike was scrambling around, and most of their effectiveness was in short, quick passes. Due to the pressure and Florida's line, UC didn't have much of a chance to open up and go down field all that much.

    Defensively, UC's line was pretty much pushed around. Tebow had all day, and he just picked the secondary apart. This was pretty much the type of game where it'd have been nice if we still had Barwin, Byrd and last year's secondary, because at least then we'd have had some chance to slow Florida down. But games aren't won and lost on what ifs, and those guys are gone.

    I thought the two biggest missed opportunities early on was UC's first drive which stalled due to stupid penalties, and then Pike just absolutely missing Binns on the trick play. UC was moving the ball on their first drive, and they were likely going to at least get a field goal on that drive before penalties killed it. If Pike sees Binns wide open on the following drive, that's a touchdown. Right there were 10-14 missed points, and while UC lost by much more than that, it'd have been nice to have had that hot start early on.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  16. #75
    Attack Cat! OUReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    681

    Re: Sugar Bowl UC.vs. Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    And they fought hard in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl!
    Heck yes!

    The most important thing, however, is that it has been 1,505 days since that school in Oxford has defeated us in football!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25