Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Time to start the Rick Pitino rumors up:

Looks like this time the Nets are being mentioned. Would be interesting to see if they get John Wall with Pitino as coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Time to start the Rick Pitino rumors up:

Looks like this time the Nets are being mentioned. Would be interesting to see if they get John Wall with Pitino as coach.
    No way it happens. First, the arena he has been pushing for is set to open next season. Second, he has a monster class coming in 2011 and then I expect him to retire after taking one last shot at a championship.

And, on the other hand, why would the Nets want him? He failed miserably in Boston and is no longer a hot name in the college ranks. He's a great coach but the job he has done at Louisville hardly warrants another shot at the NBA.
    Last edited by joshnky; 02-11-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    No way it happens. First, the arena he has been pushing for is set to open next season. Second, he has a monster class coming in 2011 and then I expect him to retire after taking one last shot at a championship.

And, on the other hand, why would the Nets want him? He failed miserably in Boston and is no longer a hot name in the college ranks. He's a great coach but the job he has done at Louisville hardly warrants another shot at the NBA.
    I posted this on TBK, but Cal made a great point in Bounce Back that once you fail in the NBA, you are a pariah there. Coaches like Pitino, Cal, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger, and Tim Floyd (twice) failed in the NBA and once a college coach fails, they never really get a second chance.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Josh, I have to agree with you, but I also have to add that as someone who once worshipped at the altar of Pitino that the man will break your heart. I believe he has some love for the state of Kentucky based on how much its population has adored him, but outside that I don't think you can really trust a word he says.

He could just as easily want to go to the Nets to try one more time. Who knows. He pushed for the arena sure but I dont think he cares, he just wanted it as a recruiting tool, its not like he views it as a legacy or anything, he just knew his name could get things done.

Ultimately I will be surprised if he returns to the NBA, however not because he loves UL or anything but because like you state he hasn't done a thing to warrant it. I also don't believe he won't try either.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Ultimately I will be surprised if he returns to the NBA, however not because he loves UL or anything but because like you state he hasn't done a thing to warrant it. I also don't believe he won't try either.
    And this is the key. Regardless of the whims of an egotistical coach, there isn't anyone that would want him, especially at the money he would demand.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    And this is the key. Regardless of the whims of an egotistical coach, there isn't anyone that would want him, especially at the money he would demand.
    I think the report was that he would consider the Nets if they would sign one of the big free agent such as LBJ, Wade, or Bosh.

That being said, I think there are more qualified coaches to coach a superstar.

Josh, I have to agree with you, but I also have to add that as someone who once worshipped at the altar of Pitino that the man will break your heart. I believe he has some love for the state of Kentucky based on how much its population has adored him, but outside that I don't think you can really trust a word he says.
    I've always said I hate Pitino for going to Louisville, but I also love him for coming back to the state of Kentucky. I really believe he loves the people in the Bluegrass State and wanted to get back, even if it meant coaching at his former schools biggest rival. He made a mistake in leaving Kentucky for the Celtics and he knew it.

If he would leave, and he has been rumored for a lot of different jobs in both the NBA and NCAA, its to escape from Syphergate and the overall effect of his image within the state.

You LOVE him? For coming back to Kentucky? Love? Seriously?

Slick Rick loves Slick Rick. Period.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Slick Rick.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You LOVE him? For coming back to Kentucky? Love? Seriously?

Slick Rick loves Slick Rick. Period.
    To the state, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    That is the new uniforms, looks like Wall's still needs some work though.

NY Daily News continuing to try to stir up trouble with nonsensical stories. First Pitino, now Calipari and K:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...d_to_nets.html

I'd be curious to know exactly what qualifies as "linked to (Nets) coaching job"? Someone in a suit saying "it would be nice to get one of those guys"?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I loved this story. Insert whatever "He gets it" comment here.

http://www.wkyt.com/blogs/tvtimeout/84201657.html

Kevin Massey loves the Kentucky Wildcats. Has all his young life. The only problem with Kevin's affinity for the the Big Blue is that he lives deep in the heart of IU country.

Kevin is a sophomore at Franklin Central High School in Indianapolis, and recently, the coach of Kevin's favorite basketball team, John Calipari, turned the tables, becoming a fan of the three-sport athlete. Not because of Kevin's ability to turn a double-play or knock down a three-point shot, but because of Kevin's will to live.

A member of the cross country team, a second baseman on the Central baseball team and a guard on the JV basketball squad, Kevin has never shied from his love for the Cats, despite what his basketball coach says is constant good-natured ribbing from friends and classmates, most of whom are Hoosier fans.

Recently, in a span of a week, the Massey family's lives were shattered. And the Kentucky coach, three hours and an entire fan base away, took notice.

According to Mark James, coach of the Franklin Central boys basketball team, Kevin began experiencing pain in his leg during a practice last Thursday. The following day, Kevin complained about a tingling sensation in his hands.

By Sunday, Kevin couldn't move his right arm or right leg. Kevin's parents, Ruth and Dwain Massey, natives of the Bluegrass state, took their son to the hospital, where a battery of tests were performed.

James says Kevin initially was treated for meningitis and stroke, but those were ruled out. By Monday, Kevin couldn't swallow. An MRI revealed Kevin Massey had an inoperable brain tumor.

In just seven days, the Franklin Central guard had gone from happy-go-lucky kid, practicing with his team, to undergoing radiation treatments for the tumor. His family is devastated.

To lessen the load and bring joy to this young Wildcat fan, James called upon a friend and one-time Calipari assistant, Ed Schilling, to gage whether Calipari might autograph a few things and send them to Indianapolis. Perhaps, the coaches figured, it would allow Kevin one day of happiness, in what had otherwise been a gloomy week.

Schilling made the call. James says Calipari was happy to fulfill the request, even promised to fly to Indianapolis and surprise Kevin, hand-delivering the items.

Cal made good on his word. According to one family member, both player and coach were moved to tears when the two met for the first time. Kevin, lying in his hospital bed, cried as the Kentucky coach entered his room. Calipari, touched by the kid's love for the Cats and his dire situation, led the family in prayer at Kevin's bedside.

"The family was pretty overwhelmed," James said via phone. "It was an unbelievable experience for that family."

Calipari brought with him the game ball from UK's win over Alabama. It was covered in autographs from Wildcat players. When coach Cal left, Kevin never let the ball out of his sight.

"It was neat, because Cal did this out of his heart," James said. "There were no TV cameras. He got no ink. This is something this kid will never forget."

Franklin Central's cross country coach, Eric Kellison, is a lifelong Hoosier fan, "but he's (Calipari) making it hard to not like Kentucky."

"You can accuse him of alot of things, but put a big check mark right up there on his side for this one," James said of Calipari. "This is stuff you only read about."

The prognosis isn't good for Kevin Massey. Already, he's had two rounds of radiation treatments, in hopes of shrinking the tumor. But for the first time in nearly a week, a smile creeped across Kevin's face as he clutched the game ball.

To see pictures of Kevin and coach Calipari, go to http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kevinmassey

Those are the highlights... Stay tuned.

Here is a nice little piece to read leading up to tonight's matchup (courtesy of Kentucky Sports Radio):

Dear Tennessee Volunteer fan,

Take a seat, little buddy. Let’s have a talk. You see, you’re getting to the age where you think you know everything and you’re having a real problem listening to your superiors. I think if we just sit down and have a chat - and I promise I won’t yell - then we can make it through the weekend without you making yourself look stupid on a Kentucky message board or out in public. Let’s just establish a few things.

First of all, I understand how you kids get when you get ranked and have a little bit of success. I was a newbie to success once, even though it probably seems like a million years ago to you - I mean with all of the NCAA Championships, SEC Championships, All-Americans, etc. that I have. But, that’s not what matters right now. Just know that I understand that you are excited that you were ranked #1 for a few days two years ago and that you’re somehow hanging around the top 25 again this year. You should be excited…because it probably won’t happen again for a really long time. You see, that’s what happens with gimmicks. Just ask UNLV. Or Michigan. Or even your SEC brother, Arkansas. Programs stick around and gimmicks eventually fade away.

Now, as far as this whole “rivalry” thing goes, don’t go making yourself look foolish by trying to act as if we are peers. I have a major problem considering a program who has won less than 33% of its games against me a as an equal - even if you did finally break through that Sweet 16 wall last year. Oh, you didn’t? Sorry. Anyway, your arrogant behavior still isn’t becoming of your status. You should be treating me with more respect, but you don’t seem to quite understand.

It’s kind of like in elementary school when the teacher tells you, “if you start stacking pennies right now, you wouldn’t reach the moon until you were 173 years old!” and your little third grade mind is so overwhelmed by the enormity, that you actually think it’s possible. Well, it seems like that’s the problem we’re having with you these days. My successes are so great, that you’re little Vol brain can’t understand it. I mean, think about it.

You’ve won 8 SEC Championships and I’ve won 43. If you started winning them every year, Wayne Chism would be watching your Kentucky-tying title while eating off of the Denny’s senior discount menu. If I started losing every single game right now and Tennessee went undefeated from here until eternity, the Vols wouldn’t catch up to the my all-time wins until Stephen Pearl’s son was leading the SEC in Public Displays of Friction. In the time it would take UT to up their 4 SEC tournament titles to match my 25, the headband could go out and back in to style at least three times. I mean, seriously, you are enjoying the best success of your whole life and I’m just coming out of a serious illness, but yet your superstar coach still can’t get to .500 against me? That has to hurt, right?

And one more thing before we wrap this up. Let’s get real about this whole Chris Lofton thing. I’m happy for the kid, I really am. But if you give me a chance to take Rajon Rondo over him again, then I’d do it 100 times out of 100. And if you still think you’re the smartest kid in the class for snatching up Mr. Lofton, then go ahead and celebrate. High fives all around. In fact, give me a fist pound because I don’t think I ever properly celebrated Tony Delk and Ron Mercer and the championship success that they delivered to Lexington. C’mon man, blow me up. Seriously.

Look, it will be just fine this weekend if you learn to stay within your boundaries. All you have to do is just act like the also-ran that you’re destined to always be and you won’t have to worry about anyone making fun of your court being named after a woman or telling your probation officer about that baggie under the seat.

God bless and I’ll see you at tomorrow, you rotten SOBs.

Sincerely,

The Kentucky Basketball Program

Kentucky played pretty close to poor basketball for 30 minutes tonight and still won more or less handily in the end. Their talent is scary if they can ever put it together.

They should expect to be challenged by zones defenses for the remainder of the season.

Turn Off Ads?